"You sleep in survival mode"

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lucrezaborgia

Re: "You sleep in survival mode"

Post by lucrezaborgia » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:33 pm

After a long period of success I have started to have a new issue. I am having difficulty exhaling which leads to me waking up and occasionally taking the nasal pillows off entirely. This leads to crappy sleep.

After looking at some other threads a few things that, I think, might be causing the problem and I would greatly appreciate feedback!

One possible issue is that I'm not cleaning my nasal gear enough. I use Dr. Bronners baby soap. It has no fragrance and even after a washing there us absolutely no smell. It appears to clean effectively but could I be wrong? Do I need to wash daily the exhale vents?

Another possibility is that I don't have my heated tube and humidity set correctly. I live in Green Bay, Wisconsin and the house is at 58 at night. I usually feel fine at level 2 humidity but can't find a good temp for the hose that doesn't lead to clogging the pillows or rainout.

Another issue could be the pressure range? When I first started therapy I could feel the air being pushed through and my mourh would snap shut from the pressure. The machine is set to start at 8 and go up to 11. Could I need a higher or lower starting pressure? The exhale setting is on 3.

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:26 am

We also keep our bedroom on the cool side (low 60s). I run my climateline hose at 80 degrees during the winter. I make sure I don't have any dips in my hose where water could collect. I route the hose over the headboard of the bed which prevents any low spots in the hose. I also use a hose cover which muffles the noise the hose makes when it rubs on the top of the headboard.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:05 pm

lucrezaborgia wrote: . . .
Do I need to wash daily the exhale vents?
. . .
The P10 exhale vents may not be getting completely clear.
When I hold the frame up to the light and see grunge in the mesh, I know it's time to break out the Water Pic.
This is only needed maybe once a month.
Others have treated their frame like a denture, and given it a bath with a polident tablet.
Brushes simply do not touch the embedded crud.

lucrezaborgia

Post by lucrezaborgia » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:35 am

Gave the vents a thorough cleaning and experimented with the pressure. Lowering it from 8 to 7 seems to have helped as I only woke twice. 9 made it worse. I am going to lower it to 6 tonight and see what happens.

I would like more humidity but I can't seem to find the sweet spot with the temp of the heated tube. If I set it to auto the machine ends up at max temp and humidity and it wakes me up.