"You sleep in survival mode"

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lucrezaborgia

Re: "You sleep in survival mode"

Post by lucrezaborgia » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:15 pm

Oh and the machine is the ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with humidifier

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:22 pm

lucrezaborgia wrote:I still do not have my machine due to a mess up by my doctor's office. The equipment authorization was sent to a facility that does not take my insurance. This facility decided to be helpful and forwarded it to a company that does take my insurance but didn't inform me of the mistake. The company that it was forwarded to does not serve my area and could not fulfill my order. This company also neglected to call me and inform me about the delay.

In the meantime my breathing took on a sticky consistency. A few days later I had a bad thrush infection on my tongue to the point where I had sores and cracks. Does anyone here have any insight into throat and oral thrush that are not caused by a CPAP or that can cause and/or increase apnea and sleep arousal events? I'm currently being treated for thrush with a oral rinse that I swallow and I'm seeing an improvement in my breathing as well.
Do you use an asthma inhaler? They can cause thrush.
Morbius, are you bored?

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:54 pm

lucrezaborgia wrote:Oh and the machine is the ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with humidifier
LB, the AirSense 10 Autoset is a great machine.

lucrezaborgia

Post by lucrezaborgia » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:59 pm

I'm pretty sure that my asthma inhalers are the culprits regarding the thrush. What I'm wondering is if the thrush has an effect on after you and breathing arousals when a CPAP is not involved. Most of the medical literature that I am reading assumes that a CPAP is involved in the infection. It was getting so bad that when I was sitting up in bed that I could actually feel my esophagus walls sticking and unsticking from each other and making this strange sound that I recorded for my doctor to listen to. From the symptoms that I have read of esophageal thrush I think that I had it for quite a while before it reached my tongue. I have been on inhaled steroids for quite some time and I was a naughty patient and did not rinse

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:09 pm

lucrezaborgia wrote:I'm pretty sure that my asthma inhalers are the culprits regarding the thrush. What I'm wondering is if the thrush has an effect on after you and breathing arousals when a CPAP is not involved. Most of the medical literature that I am reading assumes that a CPAP is involved in the infection. It was getting so bad that when I was sitting up in bed that I could actually feel my esophagus walls sticking and unsticking from each other and making this strange sound that I recorded for my doctor to listen to. From the symptoms that I have read of esophageal thrush I think that I had it for quite a while before it reached my tongue. I have been on inhaled steroids for quite some time and I was a naughty patient and did not rinse
I see what you mean! It all connects in there but I'm not sure. Maybe it's worse depending on what type of mask you use? I just know you have to rinse and also wash the holder every few days. I don't use any but my mother does and husband was just put on two kinds. He either has chronic bronchitis or beginnings of COPD. They still have more tests to run. He needs to quit smoking too.
Morbius, are you bored?

lucrezaborgia

Post by lucrezaborgia » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:16 pm

Has an affect on apnea and breathing arousals *

lucrezaborgia

Post by lucrezaborgia » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:12 am

once I do get my machine what is the best way to pack it for travel so that it doesn't break

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:17 am

lucrezaborgia wrote:once I do get my machine what is the best way to pack it for travel so that it doesn't break
if you get a resmed, just put it back in it's case, resmed ships very nice padded travel cases.

if you buy a respironics, then go and buy the respironics travel case, since what they ship isn't suitable for traveling, unless you take the humidifier off and wrap the two pieces in towels or other cushioning material.

other brands, I don't know.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Cereal Killer

Post by Cereal Killer » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:56 am

lucrezaborgia wrote:once I do get my machine what is the best way to pack it for travel so that it doesn't break
Here is how I travel with mine:

- It is packed in the bag that came with it.
- If it goes in the trunk of the car, I make sure the rest of the family knows I am putting it in last so it is safe.

- On the plane, it is a medical device bag and does not go against your luggage count.
- Of course I carry it on the plane. Usually I put it in the overhead bin on top of my carryon.
- I make sure never to put it in the bin where some galoot might throw a heavy piece of luggage on it.
- I generally keep an eye on the overhead bin to make sure another galoot doesn't come in and start rearranging stuff.
- On a very crowded plane, I have kept it under the seat in front of me.
- If I am renting a car, it is packed safely in the trunk and made sure the trunk is locked with the key from the cockpit of the car.
- In the hotel I put everything in a drawer in the morning. This is so the cleaning people will not damage or contaminate it.

I would never ship it ahead and leave to chance that it might not be there when I arrived.

lucrezaborgia

Post by lucrezaborgia » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:15 pm

how far does the noise carry with a res med 10? It is going to be a family reunion vacation of about 15 or 20 people in a big lake house

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:02 pm

lucrezaborgia wrote:how far does the noise carry with a res med 10? It is going to be a family reunion vacation of about 15 or 20 people in a big lake house
what noise?

the airsense 10 machines are quieter than the s9 machines, and I can barely hear that from the bedside table, can't if the central air conditioner is running.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

lucrezaborgia

Post by lucrezaborgia » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:34 pm

First night of stats with nose pillows. I slept on my back a lot and I was aware of my sleep a lot so I'm not quite sure how much I was actually asleep as much as focused on learning how to breathe through my nose again

lucrezaborgia

Post by lucrezaborgia » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:11 am

I can't find anything but the nasal pillows comfortable but how do I sleep on my sides?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:28 am

I sleep primarily on my side, or at least always start the night out on my side, and for over 6 years I have used nothing but nasal pillow mask of some type.
There's no reason why you can't sleep on your side or even your stomach with any mask out there. Might take a little fiddling with the bed pillow depending on the mask but it can be done.

I use a buckwheat hull pillow so I can make a little "nest" for the mask to rest in when I start the night.
It works well for me and my old arthritic neck.
Currently using this pillow
http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Form-Fit- ... +buckwheat

There are also special cpap pillows with cut outs on the sides so that the mask rests in hole.
Or people sleep on their side and on the edge of a regular pillow so the mask is off the pillow.

But I even wake up on my stomach often with my nasal pillow mask. The nasal pillows are remarkably comfortable and stable with pressure from a bed pillow on them.

If you want to try one of the special cut out pillow I usually suggest that a person go to WalMart and get one of those cheap memory foam pillows and make your own cut outs. Memory foam is easy to cut with an electric knife.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

lucrezaborgia

Post by lucrezaborgia » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:46 am

I took off the CPAP and decided to try to go back to sleep just to see how it feels and I feel like I'm drowning but I don't feel like putting the CPAP back on so I'm not quite sure what I'm doing. It feels like I'm relearning how to breathe when I'm sleeping and that effort in of itself is a little bit exhausting.