What is your AHI?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kaiasgram

Re: What is your AHI?

Post by kaiasgram » Thu May 21, 2015 7:24 pm

joeljjk11 wrote:Thanks! I will try this. I am not sure what my doctor was seeing.
I'm baffled by that too -- doc talking about centrals and CompSA. We just don't see that in your SleepyHead stats. Which is good.

Your situation is a good example of why we really push people to load the software and share the data -- I have no idea why your doctor was emphasizing your centrals and talking about CompSA, but now you're in a much stronger position to get your therapy optimized for yourself.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu May 21, 2015 10:04 pm

joeljjk11 wrote:Thanks! I will try this. I am not sure what my doctor was seeing.
your doctor was seeing a lot of OA... and the general answer is "more pressure"... so doc raised the pressure.

we'd need to see a nights chart to have a better answer.

organized like this: https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu May 21, 2015 10:38 pm

your doctor was seeing a lot of OA... and the general answer is "more pressure"... so doc raised the pressure.

we'd need to see a nights chart to have a better answer.

organized like this: https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

joeljjk11

Post by joeljjk11 » Fri May 22, 2015 6:46 am

My AHI was 8.6 after raising the minimum pressure to 11. Who knows what is going on.

I will post the chart sometime tonight or this weekend.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri May 22, 2015 7:00 am

Even if you don't post the chart right away whenever you post an AHI number it would be really helpful if you would include the event category breakdown if you can.
Main thing we are looking at is that the Central/Clear Airway Index doesn't go high.

Also...I don't remember if someone has already asked or not...
what position do you normally sleep in? Is it primarily on your back or primarily on your side or do you do both?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

joeljjk11

Post by joeljjk11 » Fri May 22, 2015 11:51 am

My doctor is through a large hospital in the area and there is a portal where I can see all of my information. It is interesting to note that on the notes for my appt she put '10-18' for pressure. She set my machine to 10-19 though. Any thoughts?

I'm trying to figure out why my AHI is so high, this is getting frustrating.

joeljjk11

Post by joeljjk11 » Fri May 22, 2015 11:52 am

Pugsy wrote:Even if you don't post the chart right away whenever you post an AHI number it would be really helpful if you would include the event category breakdown if you can.
Main thing we are looking at is that the Central/Clear Airway Index doesn't go high.

Also...I don't remember if someone has already asked or not...
what position do you normally sleep in? Is it primarily on your back or primarily on your side or do you do both?
I tend to alternate between my side and back most nights. I usually fall asleep on my side but in the middle of the night I will wake up and be on my back. Also every stat I have looked at shows very minimal central/clear airway apnea events. It is mostly obstructive.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri May 22, 2015 12:13 pm

joeljjk11 wrote: It is interesting to note that on the notes for my appt she put '10-18' for pressure. She set my machine to 10-19 though. Any thoughts?
The difference between 10 to 18 and 10 to 19 is negligible and if the machine never goes to 18 then there is no difference.
If your AHI is still too high...and it's all obstructive in nature then it is the 10 cm minimum that is the stumbling block and not that very minor difference in the maximum pressure.

In other words...if your machine could go to 100 but it never hit 18 cm then you could set it to maximum of 100 and it still wouldn't go past 18.
It's the minimum pressure that does the bulk of the work and that's why it your AHI is not yet optimal...because that minimum pressure is not yet optimal.

The reason I asked about sleeping position is that it is fairly common for pressure needs to be higher when we sleep on our backs (also during REM stage sleep). It might be that the 10 cm minimum does okay during periods where you sleep on your side but it just doesn't work so well when supine. Either way...the minimum is the most critical setting no matter what the reason.
Don't know just where your pressure minimum needs to be yet but I suspect up around 12 or 13 or 14 depending on position and/or sleep stage.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri May 22, 2015 12:16 pm

joeljjk11 wrote:My doctor is through a large hospital in the area and there is a portal where I can see all of my information. It is interesting to note that on the notes for my appt she put '10-18' for pressure. She set my machine to 10-19 though. Any thoughts?
thought: the top number is, in most cases, unimportant, as long as it's high ENOUGH, as has been mentioned.

joeljjk11

Post by joeljjk11 » Fri May 22, 2015 7:10 pm

Here are some stats from sleepyhead, let me know if any other charts will help:

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri May 22, 2015 7:30 pm

joeljjk11 wrote:Here are some stats from sleepyhead, let me know if any other charts will help:
here's how to do it:https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize

instructions on how to properly screenshot are linked on the bottom of that page.

joeljjk11

Post by joeljjk11 » Sun May 24, 2015 10:08 am

I've looked at my stats over the last few days and there are no significant signs of central apnea. It is mostly obstructive apnea. My AHI has been around 9.5 over the last few days.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this? My wife said she noticed sometimes I am sleeping on my side but like squishing my face down into the pillow. I am not sure if that could be affecting anything. I am also not feeling refreshed at all in the morning...I don't know what this is but I think I could be diabetic and this is making me feel worse than I should.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Joel

joeljjk11

Post by joeljjk11 » Sun May 24, 2015 10:41 am

Well I am going to raise my minimum pressure to 12 and see if this helps. I am going to stick with it for a few days at least and gradually increase the minimum until the AHI goes down.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sun May 24, 2015 10:46 am

joeljjk11 wrote:but like squishing my face down into the pillow. I am not sure if that could be affecting anything. I am also not feeling refreshed at all in the morning...
Could be an issue if you are blocking the vents preventing new air flow from getting in the mask, but your charts would show that.
I don't know what this is but I think I could be diabetic and this is making me feel worse than I should.
?? See a doctor. Testing for diabetes is quite simple and straight forward. You can even get an A1C test in about 5 mins at many doctors offices which will give you a long term range of how you are doing in that area.

You can even be tested at a number of pharmacies now. This is not a question you should leave unanswered since finding out is way too simple.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

joeljjk11

Post by joeljjk11 » Sun May 24, 2015 10:48 am

Hi I am getting blood work done in a few weeks to determine if I have diabetes. I am at a higher risk than most because of medications that I take and my weight.