Micro Disposable CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
hyperlexis

Re: Micro Disposable CPAP

Post by hyperlexis » Wed May 20, 2015 6:44 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Since marketing may be directed for outdoors/camping use, the "disposable" feature
may get it banned from national parks. Just saying.
For in-flight use; genius! --if it works.
Do national parks ban disposable products?

I was thinking of traveling to one this summer and want to learn what may or may not be allowed.
Last edited by hyperlexis on Wed May 20, 2015 6:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Wed May 20, 2015 6:49 am

Julie wrote:I agree that anyone making 'disposable' anything these days, let alone out of plastic, should have their products automatically rejected and then be fined to make sure they get the point.

You mean like the cpap masks and cushions we all use?

Sounds good to me! If the consumer electronics industry must take back items for recycling, then the CPAP industry should also be forced to deal with its piles of waste, as well. However it should be applied equally to all cpap manufacturers -- not just for this new, tiny device.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Wed May 20, 2015 7:19 am

Last edited by avi123 on Wed May 20, 2015 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed May 20, 2015 7:31 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Since marketing may be directed for outdoors/camping use, the "disposable" feature
may get it banned from national parks. Just saying.
I doubt it would ever come to that, except maybe on the West coast.
Of course, management of national parks lately has fallen under some very addled brains.

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Wed May 20, 2015 8:15 am

archangle wrote:Interesting.

I'm highly sceptical about getting a night's worth of power into a battery that fits in that size of device.

You also lack the ability to use different mask types, for instance for mouth breathers who need a FFM. I suspect the "in the nose" nasal prong idea is not going to work for a lot of people.

However, if the blower part works, you could fit a similar device into "cork" that you simply attach to your CPAP mask. Add an external DC power supply option.

You don't have a way to do humidification, unless it's one of those sponge like HME techniques, which is better than nothing.

I suspect the yearly cost of a disposable CPAP device is going to be astronomical. Maybe it's rechargeable and you dispose of it every x days, but it still sounds expensive.
Well said!
Morbius, are you bored?

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Wed May 20, 2015 8:18 am

Julie wrote:I agree that anyone making 'disposable' anything these days, let alone out of plastic, should have their products automatically rejected and then be fined to make sure they get the point.
While we avoid plastics here we do recycle what we use. I also buy items that are made from recyclables. I'm trying to teach my grands to think about the earth more.
Morbius, are you bored?

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Wed May 20, 2015 8:26 am

First link shows a young guy laying on his back with the mini in. Next image, older gray haired guy wearing bulky mask. LOL. At least there is one image towards the bottom that shows a couple in bed (she's wearing the cpap) and they are laying n their sides!
Morbius, are you bored?

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed May 20, 2015 10:43 am

hyperlexis wrote:If this thing if it works it looks like a game changer -- with new technology for moving and pressurizing air using micro pumps or fans or something.
maybe it runs on magic...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Wed May 20, 2015 11:08 am

palerider wrote:maybe it runs on magic...
Like this table...airconditioner?

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Wed May 20, 2015 11:53 am

Thanks for the link it really looks interesting. If it actually works, it would really be an incredible breakthrough. It looks like almost nothing at all, so small. I guess it works on the same principle as the 'fanless', silent air filter they used to sell at The Sharper Image. I can't fathom, however, it can supply the volume of air needed in a single breath, but then again, I'm not an engineer...

The website does say it only is for one night's use. That's a bit much for me, tossing out something electronic every day of the year. Contact lenses, I could stomach doing that daily. Even coffee pods, if I could recycle them properly. But electronics, um, it would be hard to do. Maybe once a week, but not daily.

They will need to change the design to allow recharging, otherwise I would only want it for travel only, or emergency use. I don't know how that type of business model can work otherwise.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed May 20, 2015 12:17 pm

hyperlexis wrote: Thanks for the link it really looks interesting. If it actually works, it would really be an incredible breakthrough. It looks like almost nothing at all, so small. I guess it works on the same principle as the 'fanless', silent air filter they used to sell at The Sharper Image. I can't fathom, however, it can supply the volume of air needed in a single breath, but then again, I'm not an engineer...
the ionic fans that you're referring to will move a bit of air, but not much. and no pressure at all. plus they often produced ozone... not good eats.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Wed May 20, 2015 12:49 pm

Yeah but this one has hundreds of "micro-blowers" blowing as hard as they can. So that must be enough, I mean hundreds of those tiny blowers *smile*!

It'd be nice to see some detailed specs, like cpap modes, battery life, and so on. But, on the whole, I'm in the camp that doesn't want to encourage disposable devices. We got enough plastic in the Pacific Gyre.

Hose_Head

Post by Hose_Head » Wed May 20, 2015 1:54 pm

Let me guess. This micro cpap attaches to nose-piercings instead of using headgear . And it's controlled via bluetooth connection to a smart phone (isn't that the solution to everything these days?).

How does the humidifier and heated hose (equivalent) work?

I'll believe it when I see it.
I'm workin' on it.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed May 20, 2015 2:14 pm

Hose_Head wrote:How does the humidifier and heated hose (equivalent) work?.
well, the heated hose would be REALLY SHORT!

HanzT

Post by HanzT » Wed May 20, 2015 2:30 pm

I hope something like that does come about. Philips Respironics, which I have, is probably using a design from the 1970's. It would be nice have some tech people shake things up a bit. But I don't even understand how that is going to stay in your nose at a high pressure when you breathe out. I'd be afraid I would shoot it across the room when I sneeze. But we can always dream and hope for the best.