Poor Sleep Habits

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
syrulijczyk

Re: Poor Sleep Habits

Post by syrulijczyk » Wed May 20, 2015 11:12 am

it's not so simple just saying no to long term habits

Sonya

Post by Sonya » Wed May 20, 2015 5:12 pm

Ooh! I didn't even know the 2x4 was coming.

I'm pretty proud of myself for going to bed. I know it seems like a normal, grown-up kinda thing to do, but it's a whole new thing for me.

Sonya

Post by Sonya » Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am

I hope you didn't put that 2x4 away.

I was feeling super good about how "I got this" so I didn't set the alarm on my fitbit. Yup. Fell asleep on the couch around 11:30, woke at 2am, into the bed until 6am. 3:59 of therapy last night. Need to go get another 30 min at some point this morning to keep me compliant.

Fitbit alarm is now set for 11:45PM, nightly.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu May 21, 2015 10:42 am

Sonya wrote:I hope you didn't put that 2x4 away.

I was feeling super good about how "I got this" so I didn't set the alarm on my fitbit. Yup. Fell asleep on the couch around 11:30, woke at 2am, into the bed until 6am. 3:59 of therapy last night. Need to go get another 30 min at some point this morning to keep me compliant.

Fitbit alarm is now set for 11:45PM, nightly.
well, I had, but.. *gets out 2x4*

like I said, maybe the best thing would just be to get a spare machine and keep it by your recliner.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sonya

Post by Sonya » Thu May 21, 2015 11:44 am

palerider wrote:like I said, maybe the best thing would just be to get a spare machine and keep it by your recliner.
You are probably right. My issues with that are that:
1 - husband does not support this idea
2 - still trying to get compliant and not sure how a 2nd machine will mess with my sleep center's tracking ability

So what I'm left with is figuring out how to get my stubborn butt into the bed by midnight.

I liked the alarm idea, but didn't do it. Yeah, I know. 2x4 time.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu May 21, 2015 11:53 am

Sonya wrote:
palerider wrote:like I said, maybe the best thing would just be to get a spare machine and keep it by your recliner.
You are probably right. My issues with that are that:
1 - husband does not support this idea
2 - still trying to get compliant and not sure how a 2nd machine will mess with my sleep center's tracking ability
combining the data from multiple machines is no big deal... for what it's worth.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu May 21, 2015 11:56 am

Your husband needs to be educated, needs to understand how vital it is that you are treated for the condition that keeps you from breathing properly when asleep (you don't have control of anything much then). And you can always get another, basic if necessary, on your own online, or through e.g. Secondwind.com or one of the people on this forum who sell machines very inexpensively... and we can help you set it up properly. It does mean paying out of pocket, but nothing like as much as a new machine through insurance, etc. The doctor and/or your insce. co. don't need to know about it at all.

HanzT

Post by HanzT » Thu May 21, 2015 12:03 pm

If you do the math, when you take care of your body and get the sleep you need, you will be able to watch much more TV in the long run, if you know what I mean. Get that sleep and optimize your CPAP so your AHI gets better. It's so important.

Sonya

Post by Sonya » Thu May 21, 2015 2:01 pm

He is "educated" and knows how important this is to my health. He thinks I should be able to just decide to break the sleeping on the couch habit and just go to bed. Voila! no need for a new machine. See how easy?

HanzT. I LOLed. So true. Nothing on tv after midnight is worth it. Plus, we have Tivo, so I can just hit record and watch in the morning.

This late night sleeping on the couch is a long, long time habit. It started in the early 1990's when my fiance had cancer, his kids were living with us next door to his parents. It was a rough time and that period when everyone went to bed became my sanctuary time. Even now, when my husband stays up past his normal bedtime, I can catch myself being annoyed that he's intruding on "my time".

All the women in my family seem to go through a load of sleep problems in their late-40's and through their 50's, as part of menopause I think. I've had insomnia pretty bad and the new one is not being able to sleep once the sun is up (hence the 6am wake up, no matter how much or little I've had the night before). I've got a naturopath working with me on hormones. I also have a nutritionist who is helping with the kinds and amounts of foods I eat at what time to optimize how my body responds. I've also got a "coach" who is helping me to make all these changes without having a huge tantrum about how unfair it is that life isn't easy or simple.

The only place I'm not finding in person support from my medical team is with the PAP. After 2 months, I'm finally seeing the "CPAP educator" for a mask fitting and tutorial tomorrow morning. I had a quick run-thru and fitting with the DME when I picked up the machine and an appointment where I got scolded by the sleep doc, but no help with the issues I was having. I just keep being told to "do the best you can" and that's it. You people have all been great, even those with the 2x4's.

I'm not sure I have the "right" mask, but I don't really know how to go about trying new ones, so I'm hoping the educator will have more input about that tomorrow. Until then, the fitbit is set to vibrate at 11:45 to be sure I don't stay on the couch past midnight. That should help a lot. *fingers crossed*

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu May 21, 2015 2:12 pm

Cpap.com will let you try any number of masks for 30 days for a small return fee... call them and ask about that.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu May 21, 2015 2:30 pm

Sonya wrote:He is "educated" and knows how important this is to my health. He thinks I should be able to just decide to break the sleeping on the couch habit and just go to bed. Voila! no need for a new machine. See how easy? *
the counterpoint to that is that it's very nice to have a backup machine, so when something happens to your main one, you're not stuck waiting for it to be fixed or replaced... and if you happen to test it out on a regular basis... *wink wink* well, that's ok too

Woody

Post by Woody » Thu May 21, 2015 3:05 pm

I use added oxygen with my cpap. Looking at my recording oxygen meter even if I
don't use it with my cpap I stay 90 or above most of the time. But while I always use
my cpap even for a nap i may skip turning the O2 on just for that little nap. Well
that's one habit I am trying to quit. I do wonder how much those occasional 84 desats
during my naps is hurting me.

Additional Comments: SleapyHead software

Sonya

Post by Sonya » Fri May 22, 2015 11:15 am

Went to bed at 11pm last night after a really rough day. I had some trouble falling asleep, but not too bad. I did sneeze off my nasal pillows last night in my sleep, I woke up with them blowing in my ear. That may account for the "large leak".

At 5am, the cat opened the bathroom door and that was the end of sleep for me. I was awake, although I felt tired. After about 30 minutes, I moved out to the couch and started to fall asleep immediately. Back to the bed, lay down, wide awake. Back to the couch, drowzy and drifting. Back to bed, awake & then I got sweaty and started to feel sick.

I have no idea why this sleep thing is so hard for me. I'm finally seeing the CPAP Educator at the Sleep Clinic in about an hour. I've got all my fingers and toes crossed that she will have some guidance and advice for me.

russatore

Post by russatore » Fri May 22, 2015 11:53 am

I only see two simple solutions for you without suffering :
1) get a spare machine next to the couch.
2) if number one is not possible then get a tv in your bedroom ( it seems you have no problem falling at sleep watching tv).

What did the cpap educator suggested ?

Sonya

Post by Sonya » Sat May 23, 2015 11:05 am

The educator said, "I'm going to make your day" when I walked in. We talked about the difficulties I'm having and second machines, etc.

Long story short, she sent me home with two trial masks. The N10 nasal mask and a Wisp. Went to bed at 11pm and slept straight through to 7am with the Wisp. Wow!

I'm headed on a road trip tomorrow, and plan to take both new masks to try them out. The nasal masks are more comfortable for me than the nasal pillows, just take a bit of getting used to that breeze on the bridge of your nose.

I'm feeling pretty positive about the help I got and hopeful that I can get some better sleep now and have less dread when going to bed about suffering with the mask on.