Whistling Noise at Vent in Mask - BUMP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JDS74

Re: Whistling Noise at Vent in Mask - BUMP

Post by JDS74 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:58 am

Did this start when the A/C began to be uesd thus season?
Did you have a spring tune-up for your A/C this year?

Perhaps the A/C is being a little more efficient and cooling a little better,
A cheap, quick experiment is to push up the thermostat a couple of degrees for tonight to see if that helps.

RainX doesn't cover anything except the surface of the plastic. The holes will be unaffected. It's not like that darkening film people put on their car windows. It's more like Windex.

If moving the thermostat up a couple of degrees fixes the problem, then it doesn't matter.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:25 am

JDS74 wrote:Did this start when the A/C began to be uesd thus season?
Did you have a spring tune-up for your A/C this year?

Perhaps the A/C is being a little more efficient and cooling a little better,
A cheap, quick experiment is to push up the thermostat a couple of degrees for tonight to see if that helps.

RainX doesn't cover anything except the surface of the plastic. The holes will be unaffected. It's not like that darkening film people put on their car windows. It's more like Windex.

If moving the thermostat up a couple of degrees fixes the problem, then it doesn't matter.
I'll see if hubby is willing to up the thermostat a few degrees. I need to do it to find out, but man I HATE to because even as it's set now, I am so hot at night sometimes. I'm going through that phase of life where I am cold/hot/cold/hot, back and forth in seconds. It's very annoying to say the least.

And if that doesn't change anything, I'll look into the RainX.

Thank you very much for all your help!!

knothead

Post by knothead » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:18 pm

Hi Madalot,

This is a shot in the dark and happened to me also. I use a resmed quattro FFM. Used the same one for about a year, no noise at the vent holes. Just out of curiosity(thought it was time for a change) I put my backup mask in service(new) and it has the wind/whistle noise and now I read that yours does it too. I just wonder if masks have a slight difference of angle in the machining of the holes that create noise or maybe catch more moisture than other masks. Think I will go back to my old mask and sleep quietly...lol. Hope you find out what is causing your noise. By the way, rain-X works wonders for windshields, it is a chemical, dries clear and makes things slick, it should not plug the exhaust ports. Just use caution as it does have a (to me) pleasant odor in the bottle. I don't know if the odor lingers...try it on an old mask first. Wouldn't want to breath the vapors ALL night...just sayin.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:59 pm

Good idea about testing first. It occurs to me that just a piece of glass would work nicely as a test surface.
One small drop of RainX, wipe it dry and let it sit around for an hour or so. Then check it for odors.
If you can't smell anything, then, even though it will be on the exhale side anyway, its likely not to cause problems in the night. Don't want to have a repeat of the Lysol Catastrophe previously reported.

Madalot, I know exactly what you mean about first hot and then cold. I've been doing that all day and night since 2004. My current rate is about 25 or so times each day Wakes me up completely at night when it happens.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:43 am

knothead wrote:I just wonder if masks have a slight difference of angle in the machining of the holes that create noise or maybe catch more moisture than other masks.
That's an interesting thought. Although, my husband is using a new mask as well and his doesn't do it. Hmmm...
JDS74 wrote:Good idea about testing first. It occurs to me that just a piece of glass would work nicely as a test surface.
One small drop of RainX, wipe it dry and let it sit around for an hour or so. Then check it for odors.
If you can't smell anything, then, even though it will be on the exhale side anyway, its likely not to cause problems in the night. Don't want to have a repeat of the Lysol Catastrophe previously reported.
I'll have to talk to my husband about this and see if he will get it for me, then do the test. Oh yeah, no way I'm going down that "Lysol" road.
JDS74 wrote:Madalot, I know exactly what you mean about first hot and then cold. I've been doing that all day and night since 2004. My current rate is about 25 or so times each day Wakes me up completely at night when it happens.
Yeah, it's pretty miserable. Some nights, I am awake a good part of the night because of it. Some nights, it's just an annoyance. But it's certainly NOT any fun.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:28 am

Have you tried your backup mask?
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:32 am

Krelvin wrote:Have you tried your backup mask?
When this started, I got out a new mask, fresh from the box. The new mask does it as well. I don't have any OLD masks as once they need replacing, we discard them. We only have so much storage space.

In hindsight, which is always 20/20, it would have been nice to have an OLD hard shell to see if it would do this as well.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:20 am

Somehow, my thoughts wandered from real, tasty flies to the fake ones that an angler might use to snag a trout.
Fly-tying; when making a dry fly (one that floats), old time fishermen used to rub the fly on top of their noses,
To spread just a trace of schnozz grease onto the fly to make it repel water. Just a thought.
To think the crud that makes a zit might have a practical use.

er12345

Post by er12345 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:47 am

I don't know if Rainex will solve the problem. I have the same issue with my 431. The whistling is intermittent and very annoying. It wakes me up. I can get it to stop for a while by holding my palm over the vent holes for a short period of time, creating a temporary exhaust blockage. (That might be an indication that the airflow through the exhaust is not being blocked by moisture?) I think maybe the 431 is defective.