Doctor says sleep pill will mess up the test

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Enchanter

Doctor says sleep pill will mess up the test

Post by Enchanter » Wed May 06, 2015 3:37 pm

My new test is on Friday, the 8th. Doctor told assistant he doesn't prescribe Ambien because it will mess up the test. I talked to them on Monday and was expecting a call back but didn't get one. So I called back today and the assistant tried to get a hold of him but he was busy, but she said she spoke to him about it and he said no to the Ambien. He said I just need to do the best I can and keep trying.

So here I go is my next shot. I'm not too confident I will be able to sleep, but the only thing I can do is try. I'm not used to the CPAP, so that works against me.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier
- Allergy Shots + nose Spray + Hepa Air Purifier
- Cardiovascular Exercise + Stretching

BlackSpinner

Re: Doctor says sleep pill will mess up the test

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed May 06, 2015 3:40 pm

Enchanter wrote:My new test is on Friday, the 8th. Doctor told assistant he doesn't prescribe Ambien because it will mess up the test. I talked to them on Monday and was expecting a call back but didn't get one. So I called back today and the assistant tried to get a hold of him but he was busy, but she said she spoke to him about it and he said no to the Ambien. He said I just need to do the best I can and keep trying.

So here I go is my next shot. I'm not too confident I will be able to sleep, but the only thing I can do is try. I'm not used to the CPAP, so that works against me.
Your doctor doesn't know what he is talking about. Go and sit on their door step until they give it to you. Or find someone else to write the prescription.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Pesser

Post by Pesser » Wed May 06, 2015 3:43 pm

Enchanter wrote:My new test is on Friday, the 8th. Doctor told assistant he doesn't prescribe Ambien because it will mess up the test. I talked to them on Monday and was expecting a call back but didn't get one. So I called back today and the assistant tried to get a hold of him but he was busy, but she said she spoke to him about it and he said no to the Ambien. He said I just need to do the best I can and keep trying.

I suspect that almost all sleep studies are inaccurate. Having Ambien or having all that stuff on you is likely of an equal mess!

49er

Post by 49er » Wed May 06, 2015 3:44 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:

Your doctor doesn't know what he is talking about. Go and sit on their door step until they give it to you. Or find someone else to write the prescription.
I totally agree. I am seething with anger at your doctor for his stupidity.

49er

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed May 06, 2015 4:11 pm

Go to Walgreens and get some Tylenol PM.

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Wed May 06, 2015 4:20 pm

LSAT wrote:Go to Walgreens and get some Tylenol PM.

If he says it messes it up then that will too. I just have to do my best. My friend says it's just about going until I sleep. He says if I go enough times, I'll probably sleep eventually.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Wed May 06, 2015 4:25 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:

Plus one... my sleep doctor said he could factor in the Ambien or Lunesta (the best choices) and get a decent diagnosis, he said he does this several times a day. Also he said it's best just to get the patient into the 'system' so they can really see what your CPAP machine results are in the 'real world' (your bedroom on a normal night, ie. post sleep test).

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Pesser

Post by Pesser » Wed May 06, 2015 4:28 pm

[/quote] Also he said it's best just to get the patient into the 'system' so they can really see what your CPAP machine results are in the 'real world' (your bedroom on a normal night, ie. post sleep test).[/quote]

This is likely the best attitude. Too bad most people don't have this kind of help!!!

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed May 06, 2015 4:33 pm

Should we take up a collection and help him out with a 'donation'? I'm not kidding... this is beyond stupid! I would do it except I have no access... but this is ridiculous and torturous!
Last edited by Julie on Wed May 06, 2015 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed May 06, 2015 4:37 pm

Call the sleep lab and ask what to do. They may have a solution for you.

One could almost suspect the doctor has a monetary interest in you repeating the sleep tests.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Wed May 06, 2015 4:46 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:Call the sleep lab and ask what to do. They may have a solution for you.

One could almost suspect the doctor has a monetary interest in you repeating the sleep tests.

Well the lady said that it would be a good idea to take an Ambien, but only the doctor can prescribe and he said no twice. But now says it messes up the test.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed May 06, 2015 5:07 pm

He's not only ignorant but totally unreasonable. It's too bad there isn't someone who could sit him down and talk turkey.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed May 06, 2015 5:28 pm

Enchanter wrote:
LSAT wrote:Go to Walgreens and get some Tylenol PM.

If he says it messes it up then that will too. I just have to do my best. My friend says it's just about going until I sleep. He says if I go enough times, I'll probably sleep eventually.

Sleep studies cost $2000+

kteague

Post by kteague » Wed May 06, 2015 6:58 pm

Is the doctor ordering the test a sleep doctor? I'm wondering if they are one of your other physicians and not really familiar with sleep issues. I agree with calling the sleep clinic and asking them what they suggest. Or asking another one of your doctors to help out.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed May 06, 2015 7:11 pm

Enchanter wrote:
BlackSpinner wrote:Call the sleep lab and ask what to do. They may have a solution for you.

Well the lady said that it would be a good idea to take an Ambien, but only the doctor can prescribe and he said no twice. But now says it messes up the test.
I would seriously ask another doctor. Especially with DSPS. I used an ambien for my sleep study, and went very well. I would not have slept much without it. I don't normally sleep early. I never slept well in a hotel. I would have failed to sleep even without the wires and cpap.

You have already had a sleep study with little sleep. Why would your doctor want you to fail again? Sounds like he is very uninformed.

Try asking the sleep center if they can recommend a doctor for you to see in a hurry. They must have other people come in with ambien, So, they should know of some doctors that don't see it as a problem.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?