Is it Bad to run my CPAP directly on my Mattress?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jimmycrackhorn

Is it Bad to run my CPAP directly on my Mattress?

Post by Jimmycrackhorn » Wed May 06, 2015 7:19 am

...Because it just occurred to me, after about a year of use, that it might be a bad idea.

I have a small room with 2 big mattresses taking up most of the floor and some nights I would place my cpap directly on the mattress without anything underneath it (depending on what bed I sleep on - back problems), and run it.

I noticed, sometimes, a weird smell in the morning with my machine, and I would smell the humidifier tank and the water in it - sure enough - bad smell in the water.... but I wasn't sure why it was happening. My fear now is, have I been creating a toxic gas that I have been breathing in night after night for almost a year! Can the cpap humidifier plate heat the mattress enough to release nasty stuff like whatever the mattress is made out, or other toxins of and get it in my lungs and body? Is there something else I'm not thinking about?

Now I'm worried that I have poisoned my body and brain for almost a year now. I would say about half the time I used this machine it has been sitting directly on the mattress, and even without a sheet on it,

Ugh!

Noctuary

Re: Is it Bad to run my CPAP directly on my Mattress?

Post by Noctuary » Wed May 06, 2015 7:36 am

Jimmycrackhorn wrote:...Because it just occurred to me, after about a year of use, that it might be a bad idea.

I have a small room with 2 big mattresses taking up most of the floor and some nights I would place my cpap directly on the mattress without anything underneath it (depending on what bed I sleep on - back problems), and run it.

I noticed, sometimes, a weird smell in the morning with my machine, and I would smell the humidifier tank and the water in it - sure enough - bad smell in the water.... but I wasn't sure why it was happening. My fear now is, have I been creating a toxic gas that I have been breathing in night after night for almost a year! Can the cpap humidifier plate heat the mattress enough to release nasty stuff like whatever the mattress is made out, or other toxins of and get it in my lungs and body? Is there something else I'm not thinking about?

Now I'm worried that I have poisoned my body and brain for almost a year now. I would say about half the time I used this machine it has been sitting directly on the mattress, and even without a sheet on it,

Ugh!
Are you sure your mattress/cpap is the source of this toxic gas?

Mask: Flexifit 407

Darth Lady

Post by Darth Lady » Wed May 06, 2015 7:41 am

While I doubt you've got poisonous chemicals coming into your unit from the mattress, depending on what filter(s) you are using, you could have other microscopic things like fungi getting in.

I can see two big issues (well, three) with this. One, the heater plate on your humidifier can't diffuse heat properly sitting on a soft surface like that (the compressor also generates heat, which might also have a problem diffusing; perhaps what you're smelling is overheated plastic?). Two, a mattress is an unstable surface and humidifier water might slosh into your unit and damage it. Three, bedding might block the intake. I wouldn't call it a best practice, certainly.

Hopefully you are changing the humidifier water daily and cleaning the reusable filter regularly?

I don't suppose there's any way you could put your mattresses on bedsteads? The usual advice is that the unit should be on a hard stable surface that's lower than you, to prevent rainout. Perhaps find one mattress that really works for your back and go with one bed, with that mattress? I lust for a Sleep Number myself, but yeah, they're way expensive...

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed May 06, 2015 8:26 am

Get a small plank of wood and put it under the cpap - a wooden cutting board will do. I had mine on the mattress for a while when I had the loft bed.

I doubt it melted anything because it doesn't affect the furniture finish.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Deep Sleep

Post by Deep Sleep » Wed May 06, 2015 8:32 am

I agree with those who say the mattress under the machine may be causing overheating.

Mattress directly on the floor? It's not an uncommon problem in boats and RVs where the mattress rests on a sheet of plywood over a storage compartment, etc. The bottom of the mattress can become and stay wet from perspiration and breath, promoting the growth of mold or other organisms. Some owners place floor drainage mats/tiles under the mattress to promote ventilation there. A bed frame is probably cheaper though.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed May 06, 2015 9:00 am

Toxic gas? You're smelling the natural odors left by people who've slept there - same as the mattress you sleep on, same as the air circulating (and picking up random odors from any surface) in the room... no more or less toxic than otherwise. Whether or not the humidifier has been affected is another story, but the smell is not toxic in itself.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed May 06, 2015 9:11 am

Julie wrote:Toxic gas? You're smelling the natural odors left by people who've slept there - same as the mattress you sleep on, same as the air circulating (and picking up random odors from any surface) in the room... no more or less toxic than otherwise. Whether or not the humidifier has been affected is another story, but the smell is not toxic in itself.
If the mattress is on the floor it is quite possible to get mold in the mattress which is certainly toxic.

"Smell" consists of "Volatile Organic Compounds" Which can certainly be toxic - especially if you have allergies. That same delicious lavender scent you might love will send me into an asthma attack. It doesn't take a lot of VOC's to kill if the compound is right.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Wed May 06, 2015 9:28 am

Can I say fire hazard? No matter how safe the electronics, there is a risk of fire. Get a side table.

Even electric blankets are a significant hazard - I use them to heat up the bed and then turn off after I get into bed.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Wed May 06, 2015 9:32 am

I agree with putting something under the machine to prevent overheating. I have a 12 by 12 granite tile under mine as it's on a small suede ottoman. I think my manual said "to prevent fires" or something like that! Makes sense to protect the mattress though. Never know what's in the ticking you could be heating up.
Morbius, are you bored?

Jimmycrackhorn

Post by Jimmycrackhorn » Wed May 06, 2015 10:06 am

All great points. Ok, so I will use my Onslaught Reborn Graphic Novel from now on which is the perfect size for my machine...

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed May 06, 2015 11:00 am

Some kind of small, short, cantilevered table would be nice, like an old style printer stand.
That way, tipping would be less a hazard.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Wed May 06, 2015 11:43 am

I don't think having it on the bed would be an issue as long as you have a hard surface underneath it. Something like a cutting board, sheet of plexiglass from Tap Plastics who can cut it to any shape, a big clipboard - just something bigger than the machine that you can attach the machine to. You could use velcro strips from the hardware store to attach the machine to the hard surface and still be able to remove it when you want to.

The air intake is usually on the back so you never want to block that and should take the foam filter out and wash it occasionally.

Another concern is that if a machine with water in it tips over, the water could get into the machine and ruin it. And, of course, you wouldn't want the machine to be able to fall any distance.

You have many options depending on your circumstances. Just get a hard surface under it instead of sitting it directly on the bed and you'll be all set.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed May 06, 2015 1:15 pm

I'd be really surprised if the bottom of the humidifier heated up enough to cause outgassing from the mattress... but there's a simple way to find out.

start the machine, let it do it's warming up thing and then stick your hand under the humidifier after a few minutes, see if it's hot.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

bknight

Post by bknight » Wed May 06, 2015 2:48 pm

That is not a good idea. You want any condensation in the hose to rain back down into the humidifier tank. Waking up with a nose full of water is not pleasant. Also, condensation in your hose can cause a loud popping sound. I solved both problems by moving my machine below my nightstand. This is probably more of an issue with me because I prefer high humidity.

The machine is also quieter when it is not next to you.

If you knock the machine over in your sleep the water from the tank could damage it.

You do not want to keep it the floor because it will suck in dust. I have mine on a nightstand shelf about four inches off the floor.

purple

Post by purple » Wed May 06, 2015 3:13 pm

It is usually not recommended to have a xPAP machine on the floor, because of the stuff it sucks upk blows into your lungs. Likewise, whatever stuff is in the book is not something I would want to smell all night, plus it is still sitting next to the mattress, which might be outgassing, or giving up something. Another possibility is that the plastic in the water tank gets overheated because of a lack of water, which does smell really toxic. and of course, You only use Distilled water in the tank, when is the last time you washed water tank, hose, mask?