freaking out over the mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: freaking out over the mask

Post by palerider » Tue May 05, 2015 1:15 pm

Wulfman... wrote:We ALL went through this (sleep studies) .
well, not ALL of us

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Tue May 05, 2015 2:14 pm

It sounds like it was a horrible experience. The first half of my test was pure misery.

I concur with others that you have two possibilities. Either being prescribed an auto machine with data so that you can monitor your progress. If you must go for a second study, make sure that they will have a nasal pillow mask available for you. This should not be a problem. In my case, I told them that I used the Breeze nasal pillows. They didn't have those but used another nasal pillow mask for the titration.

If you go here, you can see pictures of what many different types of nasal pillow masks look like and where they contact your head:
https://www.google.com/search?safe=off& ... oATVwYH4Ag
If you see ones that you especially like, you can call the sleep lab before your appointment and find out if they can have one available for you.

Good luck!

Last edited by yaconsult on Tue May 05, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sam2jack

Post by sam2jack » Tue May 05, 2015 2:23 pm

Please don't leave! Through this forum you can learn so much.

Hopefully during your titration night, they will let you try on different masks. During my titration night, the sleep tech hooked me up to all the wires and then showed me many different masks and allowed me to try many of them on. I chose the Nuance nasal mask and I also took an ambien so I would sleep. It wasn't nearly as traumatic as the first sleep study to determine I had sleep apnea. In fact, I felt great the next morning. That good feeling gave me hope for sticking with this. I've had many nights that weren't good. Nights where I couldn't sleep all night. But then I slipped into sleeping longer and longer. Now I seem to be settling down into good nights. Hopefully you will too.

The titration will determine if you need a cpap or a bipap. Maybe cpap is awful for some, but it isn't for others.

I do not suffer from panic attacks, so I'm unable to address that. It must be awful. Just don't dread the titration night. Once you and the lab figures out the best mask for you, then you will be able to purchase one and wear it during waking hours to get used to it. It definitely helps to get used to the mask. I started out watching tv in the afternoon and wearing the mask. It gets easier and easier. During the titration, one Ambien should help you go to sleep and maybe not think about the mask. Ambien works really fast (at least for me) and I don't lay awake very long. I wish the best for you as you head down this path. Hugs.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue May 05, 2015 3:02 pm

Guest wrote:I HAVE been educating myself! I have watched a dozen youtube videos. I read the literature online. I found a facecbook support page, but so much info is conflicting and is individualized. One lady in the support group told me CPAPs are awful and I need the BIPAP.

Another said the oral appliance will cause headaches. Another said they are the best for TMJ.

The doctors office staff had different information than the sleep study secretary. Then my allergist told me even different information.

So I AM trying to do my research, but everyone is a snowflake and unique. I just was NOT told about having two sleep studies.

I am sorry if I am aggravating some of you with my naive questions, but as you know lack of oxygen during sleep affects ones ability to concentrate.

I am very sensitive and feel like I have been reprimanded. If my questions, are not welcome, I will graciously leave.
Glad to hear you've been reading and getting informed about this stuff.

Actually, I went through a "split-night" study and didn't need TWO nights in the sleep lab. Some things depend on the lab and the doctors.......and whether they're trying to milk more money out of the system (my opinion).

Unfortunately, the doctors and sleep labs are like "snow flakes", too.......just like us. Some people have real good experiences and others don't. One of the biggest problems is trying to sleep in strange surroundings all wired up to a machine.

Hang in there and try to get through the diagnosis parts.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Outlander

Post by Outlander » Tue May 05, 2015 4:19 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
Guest wrote:
Actually, I went through a "split-night" study and didn't need TWO nights in the sleep lab. Some things depend on the lab and the doctors.......and whether they're trying to milk more money out of the system (my opinion).
^ this. I had a home test (something on my finger) so they knew I was going to need the split night test. I tore the nasal mask off since I sleep with my mouth open, and she gave me a full face mask. I was "underwhelmed" with it but carried on. So, I was able to save a night at the sleep lab by doing both in one night.

Best wishes

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Tue May 05, 2015 5:11 pm

Paws, please create a user account, you're going to be around a while.

You asked what is an auto CPAP. Your having a titration using an auto CPAP like many of us use for our CPAP machine. An auto CPAP like the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, or Autoset for Her is designed to provide a range of continuous positive pressure through the night that changes according to your needs. The machines measure flow limitations, snores and changes in respiratory volume to judge whether your airway is open or beginning to show signs of distress that might lead to hypopnea or obstructive apnea. It raises pressure automatically within the range that user or clinician sets to prevent apnea.

While your titration study will determine a pressure that prevents most of your apnea, the ideal thing would be for you to own the machine that is used to do the study...an Auto CPAP or APAP. This is the machine that will likely be used to do your titration, and the one you probably want to be prescribed: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... gQodxo8AWg Notice the price is $883 including the humidifier? Remember that and don't let any supplier pull the wool over your eyes saying it will cost thousands.

Now look at the Resmed Autoset For Her https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... idair.html Notice it also costs $883 but has some upgrades in the way the air is delivered and it also measures some more important data. It is a better machine for the same price by the same manufacturer. This is what you want.

The most common auto CPAP alternative is the Philips Respironics 60 Series Auto CPAP with humidifier https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-sys ... chine.html Again, $868 new with the heated tube humidifier. A great choice if your DME issues Respironics.

Do some homework! Get the prescription for an Auto CPAP then insist on the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset For Her, or the PRS! Auto with heated hose humidifier.

paws

Post by paws » Wed May 06, 2015 6:28 am

thank you. I need to go with the network durable equipment companies. I will check to see if the ones you mentioned are sold by these companies.
My insurance company will pay for me to rent one for three months then buy if it is working out for me.

I will set up a user account when I get home from work today.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed May 06, 2015 6:59 am

Cpap.com (who hosts this forum) really is the biggest and best-priced online dealer... so I think it would be a good place for you to start looking. And no, I don't work for anyone, just like to point out the above.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed May 06, 2015 7:50 am

Guest wrote:I HAVE been educating myself! I have watched a dozen youtube videos. I read the literature online. I found a facecbook support page, but so much info is conflicting and is individualized. One lady in the support group told me CPAPs are awful and I need the BIPAP.

Another said the oral appliance will cause headaches. Another said they are the best for TMJ.

The doctors office staff had different information than the sleep study secretary. Then my allergist told me even different information.

So I AM trying to do my research, but everyone is a snowflake and unique. I just was NOT told about having two sleep studies.

I am sorry if I am aggravating some of you with my naive questions, but as you know lack of oxygen during sleep affects ones ability to concentrate.

I am very sensitive and feel like I have been reprimanded. If my questions, are not welcome, I will graciously leave.
The oral appliance designed for Sleep Apnea relief is different from the appliance for TMJ.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Wed May 06, 2015 9:40 am

Based on what I have read on this and other forums, contact the sleep clinic and TALK TO THE DOCTOR. Tell him/her that you want an Auto machine set to wide open to determine your own best titration with his/her help. Explain your issues. Get a nose mask or nasal pillows and a chin strap. The techs, PA, etc, are simply going to keep parroting that you don't have a choice and you DO have a choice! The sleep doctor is, or should be, aware that anxiety is an issue for many patients and for some, the sleep study itself is paralyzing.

It may require you to bring that little SD card in every week, but at least you wouldn't have to go through another sleep study.

I've been reading about oral appliances and they have several disadvantages. They mostly only work for mild apnea and they can cause TMJ, a problem you do NOT want to have!

For what it's worth, I knew going in that there was a possibility of a second sleep study. If you meet certain criteria, they do the titration the second half of the study. If you don't, the doctor has to decide if you should have the titration. I have the second one in 2 weeks. On the plus side, they ALSO knew going in that I could not do a full face mask, but I did fine during a 15 minute test with a nose mask. It wasn't that I have anxiety, but I have something going on with my cheekbones that makes wearing a face mask painful.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)