Quick: I need a non-toxic Super Glue to glue my mask or....

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: Quick: I need a non-toxic Super Glue to glue my mask or....

Post by Pugsy » Mon May 04, 2015 9:27 pm

Check your private message box please.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Papit

Post by Papit » Mon May 04, 2015 10:27 pm

Do you have one, Pugsy? If not, I have a spare elbow I can send him.
Jimmycrackhorn wrote:
Pugsy wrote:What size Mirage FX do you use?
I think I have one that was recently donated but I don't remember the size.
I use a wide. The thing is, i just realize that I don't have the friggen Elbow Assembly either now... FML... If you have an elbow that would be AWESOME! I THINK the mask may hold steady after messing with it a little but what do I know. I haven't slept with it yet and it looks like it's one more night with the ESON since apparently the last elbow assembly got thrown out with the friggen cushion that ripped.

It looks like this fyi:

PulseOx Data-transfer to OSCAR4-23-12http://tinyurl.com/nzd64gu
Wireless SD Card Data-transfer to OSCAR 8-14-15http://tiny.cc/z1kv8x

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon May 04, 2015 10:36 pm

Papit wrote:Do you have one, Pugsy? If not, I have a spare elbow I can send him.
Yes, I have one...at least I have a Mirage FX in the standard size which could maybe be used and the elbow is still attached.
Plan to mail it first thing in the AM.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue May 05, 2015 1:04 am

I haven't looked deeply enough into this to see exactly what's broken on your mask, but back when dinosaurs ruled the earth, Respironices ComfortGel nasal masks had a design flaw (since fixed) where the connector on the mask for the straps would break off.

I used some sort of 30 minute epoxy from Walmart. Probably made by Devcon. It came in a double syringe type of dispenser. It was clear, but dried to a yellowish color. It was very strong, and you could build up a thick layer of it. I actually built up a fillet to take the stress. I was able to build up a big glob of it in the stress point. My repairs never failed, and went through the dishwasher many times.

Superglue is strong in some ways, but weak in other. If you are binding smooth, flat surfaces, it's really strong. It tends to crack if there's a bending or a shear stress.

As for toxicity, if it's not in the airflow path, remember that the air pressure will tend to blow air away, so you shouldn't be inhaling it.

Epoxy is rather nasty chemically until it's set, but I think it's pretty benign after that. There is food grade epoxy but read your labels, especially if it's in the airflow path or touching your skin. Let it set thoroughly before you use it.

As for superglue, they actually use some forms of it to glue tissue together in surgery. Some people even use the normal stuff for cuts, especially for dire emergency, but the standard superglue is a bit different and does have some irritating chemicals in it. The regular stuff is definitely not FDA approved for use on wounds.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Jimmycrackhorn

Post by Jimmycrackhorn » Tue May 05, 2015 5:24 pm

Papit. I'm pretty sure Pugsy's got me covered. Thanks to both of you!!
archangle wrote:I haven't looked deeply enough into this to see exactly what's broken on your mask, but back when dinosaurs ruled the earth, Respironices ComfortGel nasal masks had a design flaw (since fixed) where the connector on the mask for the straps would break off.

I used some sort of 30 minute epoxy from Walmart. Probably made by Devcon. It came in a double syringe type of dispenser. It was clear, but dried to a yellowish color. It was very strong, and you could build up a thick layer of it. I actually built up a fillet to take the stress. I was able to build up a big glob of it in the stress point. My repairs never failed, and went through the dishwasher many times.
Ya, this Loctite is the same stuff. They make it with the dual sided tube but the one I have pictured previously has like 2 different tubes. 1 has like a magic marker tip that you use to apply Activator, and the other is the Glue. You use both. I applied it to the piece yesterday and today I gave it a little bend, lightly but pretty decent and there was no sign that it was gonna crack back off, so once I get the elbow I'll be able to sleep with it on and see how it works out.

Will report back...

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue May 05, 2015 5:52 pm

Jimmycrackhorn wrote:Ya, this Loctite is the same stuff. They make it with the dual sided tube but the one I have pictured previously has like 2 different tubes. 1 has like a magic marker tip that you use to apply Activator, and the other is the Glue. You use both. I applied it to the piece yesterday and today I gave it a little bend, lightly but pretty decent and there was no sign that it was gonna crack back off, so once I get the elbow I'll be able to sleep with it on and see how it works out.

Will report back...
what you have is *NOT* the same stuff at all, yours is likely a cyanoacrylic, not an epoxy. completely different stuff, and completely different holding abilities.

if it comes loose, then get the stuff recommended, or the bondic stuff. either of those allow you to build up extra around the joint to strengthen it, instead of just relying on a bond where it already broke.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Jimmycrackhorn

Post by Jimmycrackhorn » Thu May 07, 2015 10:09 pm

Ok, will do.

Anyway, I am going to try out what I got tonight. Thanks to Pugsy I got the elbow piece I needed (and a mask in case this one doesn't break since I have a wide but a normal will work for my face as well.

So tonight, the moment of truth...

papman/857

Post by papman/857 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:12 pm

How about just getting another mask? I wouldn't want to risk breathing any kind of chemical while I sleep. Besides...super glue and duct tape are just temporary fixes....IMO

avi123

Post by avi123 » Thu May 07, 2015 11:01 pm

Jimmycrackhorn wrote:... Or is Superglue perfectly alright.

I have a Mirage Fx and the hook part of the mask (hook used loosely) that is where I put one of the straps to hold it down on the right side of my face broke accidentally, and now I want to glue it back together since my insurance doesn't cover a new mask for like 4 more months.

I was worried that perhaps superglue might put off toxic fumes that might seep into the mask while I sleep from the part once dried, but I'm no chemist so I could be way off mark.

OR is there a nice strong glue that is non-toxic if I breathe it once dried I can use on the part that wont break off easily...

I guess I just don't want any weird fumes going into my body while I sleep for 8 - 10 hours.
Reply: take it to a dentist and he/she will glue it for you. Most Dentist know about Sleep Apnea. So they'll do the right job for you.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

Jimmycrackhorn

Post by Jimmycrackhorn » Fri May 08, 2015 5:33 pm

It's such a small piece I don't think it's putting off any chemicals at this point. And it is covered by the strap that holds it to my face. I can say, for sure. It worked. The glue I used which I posted earlier is pretty damn strong. Like when I slightly jar at the piece where I glued it, it feels like it's not even glued, just normal. It doesn't feel weak at all. It was glued at the hinge too where the most pressure would be from the pull of the strap. So that's the good news. I tried it last night and it was a-ok. No problems at all - still one piece this morning.

I will post IF and WHEN it breaks so we have at least some sort of data for future reference.

Last edited by Jimmycrackhorn on Fri May 08, 2015 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deerhound

Post by deerhound » Fri May 08, 2015 6:32 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about superglue on a mask part. I have had surgical incisions sealed up with superglue at the hospital. That is a whole lot more exposure than a mask part.

AHI:
Untreated 156
Treated 1.1

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri May 08, 2015 6:49 pm

deerhound wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about superglue on a mask part. I have had surgical incisions sealed up with superglue at the hospital. That is a whole lot more exposure than a mask part.
while that's all true, in that case, you're not breathing the fumes.

but, it doesn't really matter, since it stops outgassing pretty quickly in any event.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Sat May 09, 2015 3:01 pm

Rather than trying to jerry rig something, how long is the warranty on this? If it just broke what does Resmed or the DME say? Will they replace it without having to go through gluing it (which wont really last)?

I bet if called Resmed will just take care of it.