Another Useless Poll....Humidity Preferences

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

What is your xpap humidity preference?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:33 pm

I go commando...don't even attach the humidifier to my machine.
8%
I prefer "passover" humidity...water in the chamber but no added heat.
6%
I prefer just a little humidity added...setting of 1
1%
I prefer just a little bit more than the minimal...setting of 2
18%
I prefer middle of the road humidity added...setting of 3
12%
I prefer just a little more than middle of the road....setting of 4
9%
I prefer a lot of moisture...setting of 5 or higher
16%
I prefer to use the heated hose delivery on my machine 70% (Respironics setting of 1)
5%
I prefer to use the heated hose delivery on my machine 80% (Respironics setting of 2 & ResMed Automatic)
16%
I prefer to use the heated hose delivery on my machine 90% (Respironics setting of 3)
8%

Total votes: 99

Pugsy

Re: Another Useless Poll....Humidity Preferences

Post by Pugsy » Sun May 03, 2015 7:25 pm

Thanks everyone for taking the time to vote. It's been enlightening in more ways than one though not totally surprising.
A few more votes than the last time I did some number crunching but the % of people using the last 5 choices is still around 60%. It will be interesting to see if it holds up with time.

And Den...I am still holding out hope that you aren't the only one to vote in your preferred category.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun May 03, 2015 7:50 pm

What is the frequency of the bell curve ringing on with these numbers, and how do I stop this ringing in my ears. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun May 03, 2015 8:14 pm

Goofproof wrote:What is the frequency of the bell curve ringing on with these numbers, and how do I stop this ringing in my ears. Jim
Hey Jim...that's your tinnitus acting up again. I haven't rang any bells yet.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun May 03, 2015 9:06 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Goofproof wrote:What is the frequency of the bell curve ringing on with these numbers, and how do I stop this ringing in my ears. Jim
Hey Jim...that's your tinnitus acting up again. I haven't rang any bells yet.
Could be, never played drums, earned mine working and driving V-16 Cylinder diesel equiptment, many with cabs setting over the engine, with poor mufflers.

Arc welders air arcing 10 feet away, that 1 inch air impact was noisy too, wonder I can hear at all. Jim

I'm sitting here right now listening to the Circadia sing, and they haven't hatched out yet.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

glarnold

Post by glarnold » Mon May 04, 2015 3:30 pm

I just started with a humidifier about six months ago, after papping for about nine years without it. Started at 3 for a few days. Tried 2 and 1 for a few days. No effect. Tried 4 and 5 for a few days. Too moist. Went back to 3, and it's "just right." Main difference I find, is after getting up in middle of night for relief, mouth feels better when putting the ffm back on.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Wed May 06, 2015 9:44 am

Pugsy wrote:Secondly it offers up potential discussion about how to improve the humidity experience...like with Madalot's issue with rain out..I had no idea she was having that problem and wanted more humidity. I am going to try to find a stand alone heated hose for her that doesn't break the bank so she can see if it helps or not.
Another issue I have with the increased humidity (I turned it up a bit a few days ago after this discussion) is that moisture collects at the exhale port (at my nose bridge) and makes a hissing/skreeching sound during the night. I end up patting/slapping the holes to make it stop. Drives me insane.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed May 06, 2015 6:40 pm

Pugsy wrote:Thanks everyone for taking the time to vote. It's been enlightening in more ways than one though not totally surprising.
A few more votes than the last time I did some number crunching but the % of people using the last 5 choices is still around 60%. It will be interesting to see if it holds up with time.

And Den...I am still holding out hope that you aren't the only one to vote in your preferred category.
As I post this, the number is up to "4". I guess I have some company/cohorts/comrades.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Ladyflower

Post by Ladyflower » Thu May 07, 2015 1:11 pm

My hubby sets his at the max setting and he goes through an entire tank of water each night. I started off I think at 4 and ended up waking with water in my nose. So, I bumped it down to 3 for a while and it was fine. I was curious so I bumped it down to 2 for a while, then 1 for a while. Never noticed any kind of difference so I turned the humidity completely off and I've never noticed any difference. Now I don't have to remember to fill my tank.
Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt ASV
Mask: AirFit p10 Nasal pillow mask, DreamWear Nasal Mask

mlg123

Post by mlg123 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:56 pm

I would be interested to see how humidity preference relates, if at all, to mask type. I suspect there might be a relationship there, but I'm not ready to start a poll yet, and it would possibly involve too long a list of options. However, I would be interest to see if anyone else thinks there might be a relationship there too. I'm thinking higher humidity preferences for nasal pillows and lessening humidity preferences for nasal masks and full face masks. OK, time for bed.

Additional Comments: heated tube, sleepyhead/oscar software, no flex (but sometimes C-Flex 1, pressure 8

jaycee2

Post by jaycee2 » Mon May 11, 2015 10:33 am

mlg123 wrote:I would be interested to see how humidity preference relates, if at all, to mask type. I suspect there might be a relationship there, but I'm not ready to start a poll yet, and it would possibly involve too long a list of options. However, I would be interest to see if anyone else thinks there might be a relationship there too. I'm thinking higher humidity preferences for nasal pillows and lessening humidity preferences for nasal masks and full face masks. OK, time for bed.
Sounds like that would be another poll. I use nasal pillows half the time with the humidity set on 2. The other half of the time I use a nasal mask with the humidity set on 2. Nothing changes. I found that if it's set higher I get stuffed up. As Pugsy has said, humidity setting is a personal preference. There is no right or wrong setting.