[Poll] Do you use "exhalation relief" on your CPAP machine?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Do you use any form of "exhalation relief" on your cpap machine?

My machine does not have any form of exhalation relief available.
2%
My machine has exhalation relief but I don't use it.
16%
I use a bi-level machine so my inhale and exhale pressures are set separately.
19%
I use exhalation relief at the lowest setting.
9%
I use exhalation relief at the medium setting.
18%
I use exhalation relief at the highest setting.
31%
I didn't know about exhalation relief - I have to go check this out!
2%
I don't know or care about exhalation relief.
2%

Total votes: 129

Gasper62

Re: [Poll] Do you use "exhalation relief" on your CPAP machine?

Post by Gasper62 » Sun May 03, 2015 6:00 pm

It seems to me like the less resistance there is upon exhalation....... the more complete the evacuation of CO2 from the lungs will be before the next inhalation........leading to better oxygenation of the blood. Yes/No ? (I use the highest setting-3)

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Sun May 03, 2015 9:14 pm

SewTired wrote:Cool! I had no idea about exhalation relief being a part of cpap machines. I thought it was limited to just the bipaps. This is so neat. So many questions to ask the respiratory therapist when I go in for my titration!
This is great! I love when people find out about things they didn't know about in a poll. By default, it's considered a "comfort" feature and you should be able to adjust it from your cpap's menu. It can be disabled, but usually isn't. So you may well be able to try it out whenever you like.

jlaw3x7

Post by jlaw3x7 » Sun May 03, 2015 9:43 pm

robysue wrote:
C-flex is available only in CPAP mode.

Yes, you should try whichever one is available in the mode you are using.
Its CPAP - I updated my profile as I have seen suggested to others

jlaw3x7

Post by jlaw3x7 » Tue May 05, 2015 10:36 pm

Tried it for a couple days now and I think I like it. Exhaling does seem easier using the default 2 c-flex setting. I am glad this was posted because the guy that sold me my machine told me that c-flex was not part of my prescription. He said I should ignore it... I had no idea it was a helpful feature thanks to him. Grrr... But now I do thanks to you. Cheers! \o/

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Tue May 05, 2015 11:38 pm

You are most welcome! Again, I love it when we learn new things through a poll. Now, I'm glad I ran the poll, in spite of the occasional disparaging comments they sometimes generate.

I like exhalation relief too. I have the EPR set to 3. It's not a huge difference but, like it, I found it made breathing out even more comfortable than it had been on my old machine. I may notice it more than most people because my pressure is so high - minimum of 13.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Tue May 05, 2015 11:40 pm

You are most welcome! Again, I love it when we learn new things through a poll. Now, I'm glad I ran the poll, in spite of the occasional disparaging comments they sometimes generate.

I like exhalation relief too. I have the EPR set to 3. It's not a huge difference but, like it, I found it made breathing out even more comfortable than it had been on my old machine. I may notice it more than most people because my pressure is so high - minimum of 13.

Oh, and sorry you got such bad advice from the DME. Unfortunately, we have to research and share what we learn and what works - thank goodness we have this place!

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed May 06, 2015 9:03 am

Exhalation relief (A-flex on my machine) was absolutely necessary at the beginning and I'm thankful it was there. But about 2 years in I was tinkering and turned it off. I wish I'd done it sooner because it made my machine so much quieter! And I'm perfectly comfortable without it. I think it's a little "smoother" for me.

A newbie whose lungs may be compromised from asthma or debilitation or whatever will do much better with exhalation relief. But it's a comfort measure that may not be needed in long term for everyone.

A sleep tech at Kaiser tried to turn it back on for me during a check up, thinking she "knew better". I told her not to tinker with MY settings.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

DKC_apnea

Post by DKC_apnea » Wed May 06, 2015 11:41 pm

As much as I'd love to use the max setting for exhalation relief, I found I had to increase my pressure higher to avoid getting OA's at the end of my exhales. With the higher pressure on my CPAP machine I would then become more susceptible to centrals! My stats aren't bad enough to warrant an ASV machine, so I've had to sacrifice some exhalation relief in order to strike a balance and keep the OA's and CA's under control. Some have suggested using zero exhalation relief, but I've found that to be uncomfortable, and it too can induce centrals for me. So I use an EPR of 1. Wish ResMed would allow increments of say 0.2 or 0.5 in the EPR, so I could squeeze out a bit more exhalation relief without having to increase the pressure too much.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu May 07, 2015 5:12 am

And to think; they used to sell machines with the humidifier as an OPTION!

jlaw3x7

Post by jlaw3x7 » Sat May 16, 2015 7:01 am

palerider wrote:
also, make sure you're using the right size pillow, for myself, I thought a medium would work, but a large works much better...
I took your advise and tried a large and it does allow more flow but it's just a bit too large so that it's uncomfortable in the nostrils. Any recommendation for something similar to try that has a size in between?

palerider

Re: [Poll] Do you use

Post by palerider » Sat May 16, 2015 2:47 pm

jlaw3x7 wrote:I took your advise and tried a large and it does allow more flow but it's just a bit too large so that it's uncomfortable in the nostrils. Any recommendation for something similar to try that has a size in between?
unfortunately, I don't have any... my only question would be... is it uncomfortable because you're not used to it (give it a few days) or because it's just too big?

it took me a week or two using lanolin on my poor sore nose before it got used to the pillow mask.... now it's not bothered at all.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Captain_Midnight

Post by Captain_Midnight » Sat May 16, 2015 10:07 pm

When I had the resperonics cpap, I used a C-flex setting of 2. It worked, so I never wandered.

Then, when I got a PR-1, I used an A-flex setting of 2. Comfort is great, and results (AHI of 0.2 for more than 5 years) are great. No need for me to experiment farther.

karmamatic

Post by karmamatic » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:23 am

I just discovered exhalation relief / A-Flex last week because of this forum. I wasn't able to average more than 3 hours a night on the machine without it. With A-Flex turned on (System One), I'm able to get a full night's sleep on the CPAP. Huge improvement for me. None of the techs at the clinic said a word to me about A-Flex, and it was locked off from the provider menu. It's not even worth getting mad about this stuff anymore, you just have to know that the healthcare system is not there to look out for you. You have to do it yourself.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:13 am

karmamatic wrote:I just discovered exhalation relief / A-Flex last week because of this forum. I wasn't able to average more than 3 hours a night on the machine without it. With A-Flex turned on (System One), I'm able to get a full night's sleep on the CPAP. Huge improvement for me. None of the techs at the clinic said a word to me about A-Flex, and it was locked off from the provider menu. It's not even worth getting mad about this stuff anymore, you just have to know that the healthcare system is not there to look out for you. You have to do it yourself.
Glad you discovered that, and that this forum helped you. Makes a big difference, between 3 hours and a full night, in terms of how much help cpap can be to you. Keep reading, there's lots of "fine points" out there that can help cpap work better for you and make a big difference to your everyday life. You're right, the healthcare system is set up to serve a large number of people, and for things like mechanical appliances you need to take charge and do your part of customizing it for yourself for best results. You have your sleep data as feedback that you're on the right path, and people here can help you interpret that data.

Now that you're getting a full night's sleep, maybe it's time to start looking at your sleep data from your cpap?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:32 am

Like Den said, not a full set of options. I used to use 3, as my chest had been cut open, later after I got use to XPAP, I turned it off, trying to build up my chest muscles.

What amazes me is the number of people, that don't put in the effort to:

1. Find out what machine they have, I mean the correct machine.
2. How that machine works, and how the machine keeps you breathing.
3. How to setup your machine, it's limitations and features.

I guess many people don't care, or are too lazy to take care of their health.
I don't like polls,I find them useless, but I was shocked by h ow many were uninformed about exhale relief, they not only don't know their machines, they must not read the posts either, it's been discussed over and over forever. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire