Mattress for Side Sleepers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
coolbranch

Re: Mattress for Side Sleepers

Post by coolbranch » Sat May 02, 2015 10:58 am

I am concerned about the weight of a water bed. I sleep upstairs in a log cabin, directly above my computer workstation. If the dam breaks, I will have serious catastrophe. What will a queen size waterbed weigh anyway? I haven't slept on a waterbed since I purchased one at a head shop in the early 1970's.

I LOVE OSCAR

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat May 02, 2015 1:36 pm

coolbranch wrote:I am concerned about the weight of a water bed. I sleep upstairs in a log cabin, directly above my computer workstation. If the dam breaks, I will have serious catastrophe. What will a queen size waterbed weigh anyway? I haven't slept on a waterbed since I purchased one at a head shop in the early 1970's.
a queen waterbed weighs, depending on how full it's filled, around 1638.5 lbs.

a softside, being less deep, weighs less,

here's a guide: https://www.stlbeds.com/what-is-the-wei ... -waterbed/

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

coolbranch

Post by coolbranch » Sat May 02, 2015 3:44 pm

48 to 50 lbs. per square ft. bed only. Add a wild night with waves and I may have tsunami. Shudder the thought. Thanks PR...

I LOVE OSCAR

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sat May 02, 2015 7:11 pm

palerider wrote:I'll go a wholly different direction, and instead of air, suggest water.

a waterbed was the original conforming support, plus they're SO nice in the winter, with the heater keeping the bed at a comfy temp, and, in the summer, you turn the heater down, (or off) and the bed's cool.
Waterbeds are hugely wonderful, but it is difficult to find a dealer these days. I had a waterbed for 12 years. I gave it up only because a former doctor INSISTED that it was the cause of my back problems (it was not and I so regret giving my bed away!! ). I have to say though, once I got the waterbed, I NEVER slept on my side. I slept like the dead on my back. It was great. Gosh, I miss that bed! Had a great heater, so in the winter, you were beyond cozy. Even the CAT loved it! If you have a partner, you do need a bed with baffles. If not, you don't. Waterbeds are particularly good for allergies because there is no accumulation of dust mites or other stuff. My parents also loved their waterbed, which they had for 20 years. They only reason why they gave it up is that after my Dad's heart attack, he had trouble getting out of the bed. Had a dealer still been around locally, we could have raised the bed making it easier to get out of, but my Mom fussed about having something immediately. It was a shame. Dad loved that bed too.

The only disadvantage of a waterbed is that you have to be sure your floors will handle it. If you are in an apartment, you have to have a rider on your renter's insurance for it.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat May 02, 2015 7:28 pm

SewTired wrote:Waterbeds are hugely wonderful, but it is difficult to find a dealer these days.
I got my last mattress from amazon... I think it was all of 50$

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Sat May 02, 2015 7:59 pm

Hopefullady wrote:Ok, whatever works for our sleep needs I am all for, by I must say I haven't seen or heard of a waterbed, esp with drawers underneath, since about 1984. (???)

We bought it new in 1998. Had the regular ones before. 8 drawers and 6 cabinet doors. Headboard has 2 small cabinets and shelving. A place 10 minutes from us still carries a full line. I actually know a lot of people that have them! Must be a Midwest thing.
Morbius, are you bored?

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sat May 02, 2015 9:33 pm

coolbranch wrote:I am concerned about the weight of a water bed. I sleep upstairs in a log cabin, directly above my computer workstation. If the dam breaks, I will have serious catastrophe. What will a queen size waterbed weigh anyway? I haven't slept on a waterbed since I purchased one at a head shop in the early 1970's.
We had a waterbed in our log cabin and our bedroom was upstairs too. Never had a problem with leaking or problems with the floors. Our "log cabin" was 3000 sq. ft., I used to get so upset every time someone called our home a "log cabin"... yes it was made of logs , but it was a log HOUSE
Cheers
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Sat May 02, 2015 9:42 pm

coolbranch wrote:48 to 50 lbs. per square ft. bed only. Add a wild night with waves and I may have tsunami. Shudder the thought. Thanks PR...
It's all positional as for the waves. We always have wild times but have never knocked each other off the bed due to waves...
Morbius, are you bored?