I have a new machine.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Noctuary

I have a new machine.

Post by Noctuary » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:32 pm

ResMed S9 Auto (no Escape). I hope I can use sleepyhead now.

On another note, Provigil doesn't do a thing for me.

Mask: Flexifit 407

kaiasgram

Re: I have a new machine.

Post by kaiasgram » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:34 pm

Noctuary wrote:ResMed S9 Auto (no Escape). I hope I can use sleepyhead now.

You can definitely use SleepyHead. What computer and operating system are you using?

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:44 pm

kaiasgram wrote:

You can definitely use SleepyHead. What computer and operating system are you using?
I have a used laptop with IE.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:47 pm

Noctuary wrote:
kaiasgram wrote:

IE is your internet browser. What about your computer's operating system -- which version of Windows?

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:28 pm

kaiasgram wrote:
Noctuary wrote:
kaiasgram wrote:

IE is your internet browser. What about your computer's operating system -- which version of Windows?
I have serious brain fog today (no joke). I'm not sure of the OS; I'm not at home right now. It was a used laptop I bought for $100 just to use SleepyHead. If need be I'll buy a new one.

At this point I don't know what the hell is going on. Yesterday I woke up feeling refreshed but with muscle fatigue all day. Today I just feel sleepy with brain fog. I did nothing different last night. Its crazy, but I wonder if on one night my body is getting oxygen, and the next night my brain is; like there's not enough for both.

Macpage

Post by Macpage » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:58 pm

Don't know what you had before, but if you haven't previously you can now try EPR at 3. It gives a little sample of bilevel, and many like it it. Others not so much.

Of course, sleepyhead is the real treat.

Best,

Mike

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:00 pm

Macpage wrote:

Don't know what you had before, but if you haven't previously you can now try EPR at 3. It gives a little sample of bilevel, and many like it it. Others not so much.

Of course, sleepyhead is the real treat.

Best,

Mike
I had an Escape before. What would bilevel do?

Macpage

Post by Macpage » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:53 pm

Noctuary wrote:I had an Escape before. What would bilevel do?
In short, bilevel is the general term for machines that have a pressure setting for both inhale (ipap) and exhale (epap). They are generally used by folks who need higher pressures and might have issues with breathing at those pressures. They also will provide a greater pressure range than Cpap/Apap and have a few extra adjustment settings for specific situations. Bilevels can be fixed pressure like Cpap or they can be auto adjusting in a range like Apap. Many folks simply like bilevels because the ability to set exhale pressure lower than inhale pressure is a more comfortable experience for some.

I mentioned it because the EPR feature on the Resmed S9 auto lets you set an exhale pressure sort of like a bilevel just limited in how much you can reduce the pressure, a setting of 1-3. For example, if your pressure is at 10cm, a setting of 3 would result in an exhale pressure of 7cm, 2 an exhale of 8cm, and 1 an exhale of 9cm. The setting will apply to all presssures that your S9 adjusts to during the night. I like it and use the max setting of EPR 3 with my S9. It works for me. Others not so much.

Care must be taken in setting your treatment pressures when using EPR. The reduction in presssure can result in less than optimal therapy if not accounted for. Let's say you are prescribed an Apap range of 10cm min/14cm max pressure for treatment and you set the EPR to 3. Now, your exhale pressure is starting at 7cm, which might not be enough to provide the therapy you were prescribed. It can be a nice feature. One just has to use care in using it.

Enjoy your S9.

Best,

Mike

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:43 pm

Noctuary wrote:I have serious brain fog today (no joke). I'm not sure of the OS; I'm not at home right now. It was a used laptop I bought for $100 just to use SleepyHead. If need be I'll buy a new one.

At this point I don't know what the hell is going on. Yesterday I woke up feeling refreshed but with muscle fatigue all day. Today I just feel sleepy with brain fog. I did nothing different last night. Its crazy, but I wonder if on one night my body is getting oxygen, and the next night my brain is; like there's not enough for both.
You might need some adjustments, but even if your CPAP works "perfectly" in terms of breathing your body may be "off balance" until it readjusts to not being strangled at night.

Untreated apnea affects you in many ways. Low O2, lack of sleep, lack of some sleep stages like REM, stress, hormones, etc. Your body attempts to adjust in many ways. It's a bit like stopping drinking, smoking, drugs, etc. You may be "withdrawing" for a while.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Fri May 01, 2015 11:37 am

archangle wrote:
Noctuary wrote:I have serious brain fog today (no joke). I'm not sure of the OS; I'm not at home right now. It was a used laptop I bought for $100 just to use SleepyHead. If need be I'll buy a new one.

You might need some adjustments, but even if your CPAP works "perfectly" in terms of breathing your body may be "off balance" until it readjusts to not being strangled at night.

Untreated apnea affects you in many ways. Low O2, lack of sleep, lack of some sleep stages like REM, stress, hormones, etc. Your body attempts to adjust in many ways. It's a bit like stopping drinking, smoking, drugs, etc. You may be "withdrawing" for a while.
Maybe. But I've been using CPAP for nearly a year now.

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Fri May 01, 2015 10:18 pm

Oh, could someone point me to the latest SleepyHead download link?

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Fri May 01, 2015 10:25 pm

Noctuary wrote:Oh, could someone point me to the latest SleepyHead download link?
Link is at the bottom of my post in the signature box.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Fri May 01, 2015 10:26 pm

This site will help you learn how to download and use Sleepyhead. It includes the a link to the latest. https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Sat May 02, 2015 1:01 pm

SleepyHead Report (summary)

"The last time you used you ResMed AutoSet was last night (on Friday, May 01, 2015)
You had an AHI of 0.15, which is considered pretty darn good.
Your machine was on for 6 hours, 49 minutes and 3 seconds.
You had no major mask leaks (maximum was 12.00 L/min).
Your pressure was under 11.52cmH2O for 95% of the time."

I feel a little tired so far; not fatigued, but tired.

Can someone tell me how to post a screenshot? I don't have a mouse for my laptop; I have to use the touch pad btw.

edit: I've copied the screeshot to a folder; just don't know how to post it. ctrl-v doesn't work.

edit2: I have the image at Imgur; but I don't know what to do with it.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sat May 02, 2015 1:55 pm

This will help you post your screenshot. https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760