I called the Doctor's Office and spoke to the receptionist

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Enchanter

I called the Doctor's Office and spoke to the receptionist

Post by Enchanter » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:35 pm

I explained that I had the mask put on me. She said that that means that my oxygen levels were low. I asked her if I had to sleep 2 hours before they put the mask on me and she said she wasn't sure. I pretty much read out loud what Robysue told me to say.

But what I'm hoping didn't happen was the tech misinterpreted my oxygen levels and just thought they were borderline low and mistakenly jumped the gun and put a Cpap on me when he shouldn't have. I'm hoping he didn't jump to conclusions and just misread or misinterpret what was going on. Because he really didn't seem too sure what was going on with the way he didn't give me straight answers so that's why I'm nervous.

I mean why would he put a Cpap on me if my oxygen wasn't low, you know? Just to try to get me to sleep? He did say that the Cpap would help me get to sleep and I asked him if that's what he thinks it will do for me and said yea. So my personal impression was that he was just trying to get me to go to sleep by putting the cpap on me. I'm not saying that is a fact, maybe I was the one that misinterpreted him.

The receptionist told me to call back on Friday and said they will probably have the results. But all in all I don't think they got me in an ideal sleep period. Every hospital has a different set of protocols. The guy said the first test was to test if I had OSA. Maybe the 2nd test is the one that has a 2 hour sleep requirement?

What is the difference between the first test and the second test? Why not just have one test and make it less confusing?
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier
- Allergy Shots + nose Spray + Hepa Air Purifier
- Cardiovascular Exercise + Stretching

palerider

Re: I called the Doctor's Office and spoke to the receptionist

Post by palerider » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:37 pm

we're tired of your incessant questions.

I'm going to follow the advice of kaiasgram, and not feed into your obsessions, and not engage.

I suggest that everybody else follow suit.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:47 pm

I am just a relative newbie but it is my understanding that if a study becomes split-night it's because an objective determination was made by the tech that CPAP was warranted (OSA or similar). I am actually grateful that my study ended up as a split-night one because I was told before the test commenced that I might have to come back.

I did not have to come back a second time.

In any event, split-night or not, I don't believe CPAP is placed on patient unless warranted and according to objective findings at the lab.
Last edited by tedburnsIII on Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Machine - https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmart ... ducts.html
Setting: APAP, 10.5-14cm
Software: Proprietary
Mask- PR Wisp nasal (large); ResMed FX Nasal (wide);
Oximeter: CMS50D+

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:53 pm

tedburnsIII wrote:I am just a relative newbie but it is my understanding that if a study becomes split-night it's because an objective determination was made by the tech that CPAP was warranted. I am actually grateful that my study ended up as a split-night one- I did not have to come back a second time.

In any event, split-night or not, I don't believe CPAP is placed on patient unless warranted and according to objective findings at the lab.
Tedburns, this is Enchanter's 8th or 9th thread (I have NOT counted) where he asks the same questions over and over, doesn't like the answers so he keeps asking and keeps starting new threads.

What you told him above - he has been told DOZENS of times by DOZENS of posters, only to ask the same question again and again and again and again and again and again.

Thus palerider's plea that everybody stop responding to him. ::sigh::

Enchanter is obsessing over this (and other things) and is turning things over in his mind (and on this forum) to the point where he's so confused about everything. People have tried to get him to calm down, stop obsessing and wait for the report from the lab.

And for whatever reason, he is unable to stop obsessing and therefore, thread after thread gets started.

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:57 pm

If your statement is accurate, Madalot, perhaps Enchanter should take a pill (of the 'chill' sort).

Enchanter, you probably have some form of Sleep Disordered Breathing. Get a copy of your sleep studies and post it here. Also, you may find that a sleep doctor will have already interpreted the study- try to get a copy of doc's report on it, not just the charts and graphs of the study.
Last edited by tedburnsIII on Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Machine - https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmart ... ducts.html
Setting: APAP, 10.5-14cm
Software: Proprietary
Mask- PR Wisp nasal (large); ResMed FX Nasal (wide);
Oximeter: CMS50D+

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:01 pm

Enchanter wrote:I explained that I had the mask put on me. She said that that means that my oxygen levels were low. I asked her if I had to sleep 2 hours before they put the mask on me and she said she wasn't sure. I pretty much read out loud what Robysue told me to say.

But what I'm hoping didn't happen was the tech misinterpreted my oxygen levels and just thought they were borderline low and mistakenly jumped the gun and put a Cpap on me when he shouldn't have. I'm hoping he didn't jump to conclusions and just misread or misinterpret what was going on. Because he really didn't seem too sure what was going on with the way he didn't give me straight answers so that's why I'm nervous.

I mean why would he put a Cpap on me if my oxygen wasn't low, you know? Just to try to get me to sleep? He did say that the Cpap would help me get to sleep and I asked him if that's what he thinks it will do for me and said yea. So my personal impression was that he was just trying to get me to go to sleep by putting the cpap on me. I'm not saying that is a fact, maybe I was the one that misinterpreted him.

The receptionist told me to call back on Friday and said they will probably have the results. But all in all I don't think they got me in an ideal sleep period. Every hospital has a different set of protocols. The guy said the first test was to test if I had OSA. Maybe the 2nd test is the one that has a 2 hour sleep requirement?

What is the difference between the first test and the second test? Why not just have one test and make it less confusing?
The sleep techs (not sure what the official wording is) are all highly trained and use amazing equipment on us. It's possible that he was trying to simplify things for you. I feel so stupid compared to most of the folks on this forum! I never asked questions and just did what the Resp tech said when I was at the DME. I didn't know till recently that we could use Sleepyhead or other programs to see our info. I think because the suppliers have this stuff hidden that we generally aren't supposed to see it. So I assume they think we won't understand what they are saying.

Not sure about the 2 tests. My very first study I slept without the mask and then was woke up to out one on but it was so many years ago! I just remember being woke up.
Morbius, are you bored?

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:11 pm

Madalot wrote:Tedburns, this is Enchanter's 8th or 9th thread (I have NOT counted) where he asks the same questions over and over, doesn't like the answers so he keeps asking and keeps starting new threads.
Threads started by Enchanter... They have a common theme...
  • I called the Doctor's Office and spoke to the receptionist
  • What benefits have you got from CPAP?
  • Your take on Sleep Medications
  • Is 2 hours of sleep a requirment to wear the PAP in a study?
  • Specific question about Split Test
  • I failed the Sleep Study
  • My sleep study is on Saturday
  • Can you feel a restricted airway/thick neck?
  • Just got back from Doctors appointment
  • Do you ever feel lack of blood flow in brain when waking?
  • What to do if Apnea tests shows up negative?
  • Is CPAP a useful tool for sleep apnea?
Does not count the threads he has injected into started by others with the same types of questions over and over and ...
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:14 pm

IDC

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:27 pm

Let us all join hands and pray (hope, if you so choose) that Enchanter does
NOT have apnea.

candlegirl76

Post by candlegirl76 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:33 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Let us all join hands and pray (hope, if you so choose) that Enchanter does
NOT have apnea.
Amen!

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:43 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Let us all join hands and pray (hope, if you so choose) that Enchanter does
NOT have apnea.
Well, if he does, hand holding him will be a full-time job.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:22 pm

Enchanter, I see it as a very good sign that you contacted the doctor's office today. The person who you spoke to on the phone really can't answer your questions.

My hope is that when the results are available that you will be asked to come in to see the doctor so that you can get answers to all of your questions.

On the off chance that they instead tell you that you have OSA and a prescription has been sent to a DME who will contact you about getting your equipment - tell them that you would like to see the doctor to discuss the sleep test and the diagnosis. Then bring your written list of questions and get them all answered.

Matt00926

Post by Matt00926 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:35 pm

Your doctor first meets with you
Your doctor orders the sleep test and outlines how they want the sleep lab to conduct the test concerning pre-test/test
The sleep lab conducts the test following protocols. They don't just put a mask on you based on a hunch that it may help.
The Sleep lab sends the results to your doctor
Your doctor orders a prescription based on your actual needs
Your doctor dictates the settings on your device
You wear said device and follow up with the doctor

Conclusion: wait for the results
Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 ST
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Simplus FFM

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:37 pm

I feel some hostility. Keep in mind, that I never tried to hurt anyone on this forum. Why does it affect your life if I make a thread once in a while and obsess about OSA? I'm trying to get help. How does it affect you guys in life? Why are you so serious and take it so personal? I'm in need of a lot of help. We all should be able to ask a lot of questions for help. What I don't understand is how people on the forum are just as serious as they would be in real life.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier
- Allergy Shots + nose Spray + Hepa Air Purifier
- Cardiovascular Exercise + Stretching

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:47 pm

It affects us because we're not robots. We want(ed) to help, tried every way we know to do it, so many said the same things (in different ways) because it's our nature to want to help, but the more we did, the more ways we tried, the more you just came back with the same things, over and over and over, in complete denial of what so many with long experience and great knowledge said, and our frustration in spending our time on your enormous and bottomless pit of neediness, with no glimmer from you of understanding or acceptance of our knowledge or even efforts to help, reached critical mass. No one likes to think their time was wasted to such an extent on someone who blindly keeps closing the door on help, who argues nonstop against all they're told, with nothing but their own 'feelings' to back them up in the face of so much knowledge and experience. No real thanks, no acknowledgement of the extent of demands and questions you've come here with.... Everyone has questions and worries and feelings, but no one that I can think of has yet to ask anywhere close to the number of questions - all based on the same pigheaded 'feeling' (of not having slept) - you asked. Incredible.

And "What I don't understand is how people on the forum are just as serious as they would be in real life." is an insult to everyone who's tried to help! Did you want jokers to answer your questions? Outrageous!