FFM Vs. Nose Pillows - Is there a pressure difference?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Krelvin

Re: FFM Vs. Nose Pillows - Is there a pressure difference?

Post by Krelvin » Fri May 01, 2015 4:59 pm

Tsparky wrote:Now that's a rude and unwelcome response. Please try to be civil...
Not sure about that... it is the basics for creating a manometer...

ref:
viewtopic/t50249/Homemade-manometer-Que ... g-DIY.html
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri May 01, 2015 5:44 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:You forgot the part about taping a ruler to the tubing.
It really does work.
well, that would make it better and easier to make notes about exact pressure.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sat May 02, 2015 4:27 pm

Sparky, I agree with you that (to me) equal pressure settings feel greater when using pillows compared to FFM. However, agreeing with PR, I doubt that there is any real significant difference. I think, again as PR implies, it is a matter only of perception.

That said, it does seem that, for me, pressure applied by pillows is more effective than that applied by FFM. I recently switched from FFM to pillows and have found that I have been able to reduce the pressure from a nominal 9cmH20 with a FFM to 6 with pillows without developing hypopneas or apneas. Using a FFM, respiratory events begin to occur when the pressure is reduced to about 8. Further, Flow Limitations are dramatically reduced at all pressures with pillows while being unaffected (present) by increasing pressure using a FFM.

Now, I am not implying this would be true for all people and I'm sure it has to do with individual anatomy, but it is interesting. When I get a little time, I'll put up some charts for comparison.

Tsparky

Post by Tsparky » Sat May 02, 2015 7:31 pm

thanks for your comments. I plan to follow up with my Dr but appointment is still a month away. I tried the NP again last night but 15 minutes into full pressure it woke me up and I had to switch back to FFM. I reviewed the NP data on SleepyHead and it was all over the place.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat May 02, 2015 7:47 pm

Jay Aitchsee wrote:That said, it does seem that, for me, pressure applied by pillows is more effective than that applied by FFM. I recently switched from FFM to pillows and have found that I have been able to reduce the pressure from a nominal 9cmH20 with a FFM to 6 with pillows without developing hypopneas or apneas. Using a FFM, respiratory events begin to occur when the pressure is reduced to about 8. Further, Flow Limitations are dramatically reduced at all pressures with pillows while being unaffected (present) by increasing pressure using a FFM.
what I've noticed is that when I'm wearing the ffm, it pulls my jaw back, but when wearing the p10 pillows, my lower jaw is further forward, sort of the the difference in where your jaw is while your teeth are clenched, vs where it is when you're trying to bite something with your incisors. could be that even that little bit of forward motion helps open up the airway?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sun May 03, 2015 4:10 am

palerider wrote:could be that even that little bit of forward motion helps open up the airway?
I think that is a reasonable guess. The only way I've been able to get Flow Limitations comparable to that of using pillows is by using a soft cervical collar with the FFM.