School me on the S9 Auto please.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sparky223

Re: School me on the S9 Auto please.

Post by Sparky223 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:52 pm

So the machine I have now is in my profile. A pr system one auto with aflex. My machine I am using now is breaking down. I got a killer deal on a Resmed S9 vpap auto. So here is what I need to accomplish. I need to set it up and have no idea on how to. I have also never used bipap because it wasn't prescribed to me. I wouldn't mind trying it to see how well it works on me. My current APAP machine is set at I believe 8-20 with a flex setting of 2. Looking at my past data my APAP usually runs in the 11-12.7 pressure. My AHI stays pretty low. Seems like a good setting. So I need help inputting the proper pressure and if in the future I don't want bipap can I turn that off? Hope this is enough info.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:11 pm

Sparky223 wrote: if in the future I don't want bipap can I turn that off?
Yes but to turn it off you go to straight cpap. Instead there is the ability with a bit of setting ingenuity to have it function like the APAP. You just set PS to 0 and bilevel goes away but it can still auto adjust up to whatever max you set.

Without seeing your reports to get a feel for where your pressures seem to want to go or stay....if the median number is running 11 to 12 and you are wanting to play with bilevel auto...
try EPAP 9 or 10...PS (presssure support 3 or 4..whichever feels best for you) and set max IPAP at 20. It won't go there unless it thinks it needs to.
When you turn the machine on and while awake you will experience EPAP plus the PS...so if you chose 9 EPAP and 4 PS you would then see 13 IPAP. Might seem like a lot but it's actually easy to breathe at those settings than straight 11 cm.

If those were 95% pressure numbers where you say 11 to 12.7 range and not median numbers than you could maybe start a little lower.
Again I get a better feel for starting points when I can see the overall trend but the above should get you in the ball park.

When I was on APAP...I used 10 minimum and 20 max and my overall average pressure was around 11.5 and my long term 90% pressure was around 12.5 though I would sometimes see 90% numbers 17 to 18 but not for very long and not every night.
So when I went to bilevel I started with 8 EPAP with PS of 4 (I liked the way it felt) so that gave me 12 IPAP to start with. Think of EPAP sort of like your APAP minimum..it needs to be sufficient to hold the airway open as a baseline starting point. Too low and the machine can't respond fast enough to do a good job...and at 8 cm I was having a few ugly OA clusters...so I changed EPAP to 9 and that made IPAP 13 (while awake but could go to 20) and the clusters broke up and I was fine. Some nights the pressures didn't move around much and sometimes I have seen IPAP kiss 20 cm briefly and that meant EPAP was 16. Slept right through it all and never knew it until I saw the report.

You might be like me...once I slept one night on bilevel I knew there would never be any going back to single pressures.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sparky223

Post by Sparky223 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:19 pm

I am having trouble getting my computer to recognize my sd card so I haven't been able to get sleepyhead to work. Looking at the data on my machine the 7day 90% pressure is 12.5 and 30 day is 13.1. Kind of surprised by that.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:47 pm

90% just means you were at OR below that number for 90% of the night. People tend to forget the "or below" part of the definition and think that's where they were at most of the night it doesn't necessarily mean that.
I think 8 or 9 would be a good starting EPAP and add PS to it 3 or 4 to see what is comfortable.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:02 am

Sparky223 wrote: I have also never used bipap because it wasn't prescribed to me. I wouldn't mind trying it to see how well it works on me. My current APAP machine is set at I believe 8-20 with a flex setting of 2. Looking at my past data my APAP usually runs in the 11-12.7 pressure. My AHI stays pretty low. Seems like a good setting. So I need help inputting the proper pressure and if in the future I don't want bipap can I turn that off?

It's best to minimize the number of variables you change at any one time.

You seem to have done well with your old machine. If it were me, with the new machine, I would start out with the same settings used on the old machine. You should get the same good therapy you are accustomed to.

If things go well for say one week, then you might want to experiment with bilevel settings.

Sleepyhead is important to understand the effect of any changes in therapy.

Congratulations on getting a good buy.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:05 am

I would start out with the same settings used on the old machine.
The S9 VPAP Auto doesn't have the apap mode available as a choice. There's cpap mode and 2 bilevel modes.
The auto bilevel mode can be made to function like apap mode though.
Since OP already has documented results in apap mode it's not like he is coming from a brick and doesn't have any documented results to compare to...I don't see any reason to not experiment with bilevel auto at this time.
There's substantial APAP data to compare the results to already.

Sparky223

Post by Sparky223 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:23 am

I did et sleepyhead to work so here in a little bit I will post some data

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:44 am

Sparky223 wrote:I did et sleepyhead to work so here in a little bit I will post some data
https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize

follow those pages for success

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sparky223

Post by Sparky223 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:34 am

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:55 am

Sparky223 wrote:Image
go back and check the 'which charts to select' part, and the 'which links from imgur to select'...

you're very close

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sparky223

Post by Sparky223 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:45 pm

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:07 pm

Sparky223 wrote:Image
now, if you can get the charts arranged as suggested, so that the ones that have useful information in them are there, you'll be golden

Sparky223

Post by Sparky223 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:32 pm

Those are all the graphs sleepyhead is showing me

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:36 pm

Sparky223 wrote:Those are all the graphs sleepyhead is showing me
You can reorganize which charts on shown first.

Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:59 pm

Krelvin wrote:
Sparky223 wrote:Those are all the graphs sleepyhead is showing me
You can reorganize which charts on shown first.

I gave him that most excellent page earlier