SleepyHead: differing AHIs on "summary only" nights

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jajvirta

SleepyHead: differing AHIs on "summary only" nights

Post by jajvirta » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:22 am

I forgot to put my SD card for couple of nights so I had a "summary only" data on SleepyHead on those nights. Not a problem since my Resmed S10 made those summary entries anyhow. I'm wondering, however, if the machine calculates the AHI quite differently compared to SleepyHead. Those two nights have an AHI of 0.22 and 0.38, respectively, both of which are lower than any night before or after. My typical AHIs have been between 1 and 2 with an occasional 3-5 thrown in. My lowest AHI has been 0.73, but AHIs below 1 are few and far between.

So my question, then, is that is this just a coincidence or is SleepyHead's calculation radically different from the S10's own? Has anyone noticed anything similar or did that just occur by chance.

jajvirta

Re: SleepyHead: differing AHIs on "summary only" nights

Post by jajvirta » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:04 am

Bump.

Did another night without the SD card inserted and the summary night has a much lower AHI than my typical night. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Anyone have a clue why summary data has a significantly lower AHI versus SleepyHead's AHI?

OSAHell

Post by OSAHell » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:52 am

Hi jajvirta,

Not sure it's your problem but might worth a look. I noticed you have a AirSense 10 Autoset and I have a bug in SleepyHead with my current S9 Adapt and a past S9 Autoset where Sleepyhead would randomly count some session's AHI twice. It is really random in my case but seem to happen more when I have more than one session in one day. This mess up my AHI in Overview view, the AHI in Daily (orange line) and the Duration&AHI in the Flow Rate graph. The only thing that temporally fix this is to go to Sleepyhead->Data->Rebuild CPAP data-> "your current machine" (don't remember if you have to quit and reopen SleepyHead after that). And you should see right away if that's the case. Note that as soon as I’ll do my next SD card import all of those "buggy" nights will came back. If you don't want to do a rebuild right away you can also do a quick look at each day (start with the days you think have higher AHI) in the Daily view and compare the Duration time in the Flow Rate chart with the Hours value in the left pane (where it show the Date, Sleep and Wake Hours) if they're not the same it might be your problem, that's how I found I had this bug anyway.

Aslo, Sleepyhead has not been updated since those new AirSense and Aircurve have come out. I know there are some small issue with AirCurve and SH related to pressure but nerver heard about one for the AirSense so far.

I have SleepyHead v0.9.8-1-Testing OpenGL on Mac OSX 10.10.4

Finally, one think you can do to know for sure you have a problem with the number between your machine and Sleepyhead is to note your AHI value for the night on your machine's screen every morning (with or without the SD card inserted) and then compared them with those you see in Sleepyhead when you'll do your next import. Remember to do it before noon on a Resmed machine because the AHI for the night go back to zero at noon, on Resmed S9 anyway.

OSAHell

Post by OSAHell » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:05 am

I just realized after posting the previous post that if you only have summary data you probably won't have the Flow Rate graph for those night... So the only way to know would be to take note of the number on your machine's screen and compare them with SH.

jajvirta

Post by jajvirta » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:44 am

I don't have AHI on machine's display. I think I need to contact my apnea nurse on how to turn them on. AFAIK I can't do that on my own.

OSAHell

Post by OSAHell » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:02 am

In fact you CAN change it on your own by going to the "hidden" clinical menu. But you'll need the "clinical guide" for your specific machine to know how to get in this menu, unless someone here know and give you the answer on how to do it. I nerver used those new Resmed machine so I can't help you easily but a simple search in this forum or a google search should be able to resolve that! There's an other forum where they have a lot of clinical manual or basic instructions on how to access this menu but I don't know if they have it for your specific machine.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:05 am

To turn the AHI data on so that it shows on the LCD display is easy.
You just go into the clinical setup menu and changes the "essentials" settings to "essentials PLUS"
explained here
https://sleep.tnet.com/home/files/resme ... -guide.pdf

AHI can differ if the sleep time differs even if it is still just 1 or 2 events for the entire night.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:47 pm

OSAHell wrote:Aslo, Sleepyhead has not been updated since those new AirSense
098-1 was released after the airsense, but before the aircurve. it took a fair amount of work and time to get the airsense working, fortunately, the aircurve was very similar, so it's mostly working.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

OSAHell

Post by OSAHell » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:59 pm

palerider wrote:
OSAHell wrote:Aslo, Sleepyhead has not been updated since those new AirSense
098-1 was released after the airsense, but before the aircurve. it took a fair amount of work and time to get the airsense working, fortunately, the aircurve was very similar, so it's mostly working.
Oops, juste didn't remember how long AirSense have been out before the AirCurve... I was mostly waiting for the AirCurve ASV but it"s been so long after the AirSense and I had to buy the S9 Adapt, I should have remember!

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:48 pm

jajvirta wrote:So my question, then, is that is this just a coincidence or is SleepyHead's calculation radically different from the S10's own? Has anyone noticed anything similar or did that just occur by chance.
I don't think it's radically different, but I think there might be a glitch in reporting. I believe SleepyHead calculates the AHI from the detailed data. Generally, SleepyHead and ResScan compare favorably with regard to my S9 statistical data. They are rarely equal, but close enough for government work. Without the detailed data, I'm not sure what SleepyHead reports, it can't do the calculations as I assume it normally does, so then it must report something based on machine calculations. For the one day that I could find that I did not capture detailed data, ResScan reported my AHI at 1.0 while Sleepyhead reported 0.21.
Now, one day is hardly enough data to draw any conclusions, but it does tend to support your suspicion.

jajvirta

Post by jajvirta » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:35 pm

I did get the "hidden clinical menu" open, but I didn't find any options to display the AHI. Maybe I missed something?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:30 pm

jajvirta wrote:I did get the "hidden clinical menu" open, but I didn't find any options to display the AHI. Maybe I missed something?
It's a menu choice called "Essentials"....essentials is hours of use only...you have to change it so it says "Essentials...Plus"...the Plus being the added data.
So no, it doesn't mention AHI in the menu but instead you have to know what the menu choices mean.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:39 pm

I don't have an Airsense 10, but, according to the manual, the data is under "Sleep Report". You should be able to see it after changing to "plus" as Pugsy mentioned, or access it from the clinicians menu. The sleep report will show last night's data, last week's average data, etc. You can not go back and look at an individual night past last night. All else will be an average.
If you have a windows machine, you can download ResScan for comparison. You can go here to get ResScan: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread ... 397#pid397 . Register and follow the instructions.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:18 pm

jajvirta wrote:I did get the "hidden clinical menu" open, but I didn't find any options to display the AHI. Maybe I missed something?
set "Essentials" to "plus"

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:57 am

Jay Aitchsee wrote: . . . close enough for government work . . .
That term always cracks me up. Ironic, though.
You always hope that cruise missile is right on the nose.