If you ask for advice, PAY ATTENTION!!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tatooed Lady

If you ask for advice, PAY ATTENTION!!!

Post by Tatooed Lady » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:50 am

I've seen MANY postings on here, asking for advice on what to expect with sleep studies, how to sell machines, how to conquer drooling/mouth breathing/chronic halitosis, etc...And it's REALLY disturbing to see how people like Robysue and Pugsy damned near type themselves into bloody stumps (others as well, but the novel writers get first listings, sorry) trying to say, "hey, we've seen/heard it before, or been there, done that...here's how to fix your issue/sell your machine," yet they get ARGUED WITH. If you're going to ASK, PLEASE KEEP AN OPEN MIND AND ACCEPT THAT YOU ASKED FOR INFORMATION YOU DIDN'T HAVE, AND SOMEONE PROBABLY MORE KNOWLEDGEABLE THAN YOU JUST SUPPLIED YOU WITH IT!!!!
It's not always 100% correct, if only one person says something, but come ON....when you get 3, 4 or 20 people saying the same thing? Odds are, they have a better idea of reality than you.

Off my soapbox for now...

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

Morbius

Re: If you ask for advice, PAY ATTENTION!!!

Post by Morbius » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:56 am

Or if you ask for advice, and get some, say thank you.

Don't be a OPW.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:00 am

Some people would argue with a stump and some people would bitch if they got hung with a new rope.

Some people have whatever common sense they might or might not have totally overwhelmed by what ifs and anxiety.
Unfortunately when that happens it really limits what we can do to help. For any of us to help someone they have to be able to sort of help themselves a little and sometimes they are so caught up in whatever circle they are in with their mind that they can't help themselves....

I learned a long time ago that I couldn't help everyone for various reasons but if one of those reasons is listening to common sense and being able to help themselves just a little to start with then there's not much chance of my getting through to them.

The mind is a powerful drug....and it ain't always a good thing to have that much power.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:08 am

There ARE people that appear to be asking for help and advice, but they really just want to gripe.

I remember the woman coming about the sleep study and complaining that the little red light on the pulse ox disturbed her sleep. Several of us suggested she just put that hand under the covers (no light!!) and she got hostile. She was griping about a LOT of things, but that specific one was so simple to solve. But hostile she did get!!

Some people really don't want help.

k_ogre

Post by k_ogre » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:15 am

Gee sorry

wildboar

Post by wildboar » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:17 am

askhole
A person who repeatedly asks for advice from multiple individuals, only to ignore aforementioned advice completely. The askhole will choose the least logical option (usually their own), skipping merrily down the path into unbridled oblivion, blissfully and willingly oblivious throughout the entire ordeal.

Hopefullady

Post by Hopefullady » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:19 am

You people are funny here. I nevah wooda guessed it. I'm enjoying myself.

I do think the reason for the repeat questions etc is FEAR. I know its power over me. My sleep is EVERYTHING to me and without it, all bets are off, so....I get pretty scared when I think it's gonna be affected.

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:24 am

I understand what you are saying... BUT REMEMBER most people who first come here mostly feel terrible and aren't really sleeping...
That is what you are dealing with when you are supporting the people who come here.

I personally remember when I found this site how badly I felt, and when I read the results of my sleep study of 140 AHI I was terrified at what was happening to me.
Everybody reacts differently when under these circumstances. If some one is annoying then just don't respond or skip reading the thread.

Remember that patients are a virtue.

I wish you well...

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:32 am

Bill44133 wrote:I understand what you are saying... BUT REMEMBER most people who first come here mostly feel terrible and aren't really sleeping...
That is what you are dealing with when you are supporting the people who come here.

I personally remember when I found this site how badly I felt, and when I read the results of my sleep study of 140 AHI I was terrified at what was happening to me.
Everybody reacts differently when under these circumstances.
Everything you've said is true. And for these people, patience is needed AND is usually given. You can tell, after patience has been extended over and over again, when you're hitting a brick wall and the person really doesn't want help.

A lot of people put a wall up initially, but those that TRULY want help will back down and start listening after they complete their anger and denial period. And the veterans here are able to recognize those in the anger/denial stage and attempt patience beyond what a lot of people would do.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:34 am

When I first found this site, I LURKED for four or five months, reading everything possible.
{{{---I thought Snoredog was still alive, for goodness sake!}}}
I only joined when I had my own thanks and testimony to contribute.
Not reading and using the search function is JUST PLAIN LAZY!
There, I said it.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:04 pm

Hopefullady wrote:You people are funny here. I nevah wooda guessed it. I'm enjoying myself.
we try! sometimes we succeed

good to hear you're enjoying yourself.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:07 pm

Bill44133 wrote:I understand what you are saying... BUT REMEMBER most people who first come here mostly feel terrible and aren't really sleeping...

Everybody reacts differently when under these circumstances. If some one is annoying then just don't respond or skip reading the thread.
I'm pretty sure (well, certain) that the post isn't directed at people who come in, ask a few questions, and have some doubts before coming around... it's directed at a few people who incessantly refuse to believe anything put before them.
also, what Madalot said
Bill44133 wrote:Remember that patients are a virtue.
or, at least, a revenue stream...

Last edited by palerider on Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:08 pm

wildboar wrote:askhole
A person who repeatedly asks for advice from multiple individuals, only to ignore aforementioned advice completely. The askhole will choose the least logical option (usually their own), skipping merrily down the path into unbridled oblivion, blissfully and willingly oblivious throughout the entire ordeal.
YES YES YES YES!!!! I saw that on the web the other day and said "must remember this, it's so dead on for a couple of supremely annoying people on the forum..." then I forgot it.

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:21 pm

If I fall under this category, it's inadvertent. I'm a Warrior and I'm going to fight this thing to the very bloody end. Okay, maybe it's possible I am crazy. Maybe we all are crazy after all and that's why we come across as uncooperative. I don't think I am, but this whole thing has been a struggle. And that CPAP machine made me feel like I was gonna suffocate. This is hard. It ain't easy for all of us, but I'm going to fight.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier
- Allergy Shots + nose Spray + Hepa Air Purifier
- Cardiovascular Exercise + Stretching

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:23 pm

Crazy is OK, as long as we own it.