I failed the Sleep Study

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepDisturbed

Re: I failed the Sleep Study

Post by SleepDisturbed » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:57 pm

I dont know whether to suggest a nice glass of merlot for Robysue or for Enchanter.

Maybe both!

What I lack in verbosity, I make up in brevity.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:02 pm

yaconsult wrote:robysue - I swear you have the patience of Job and the wisdom of Solomon. We are so lucky to have you! Thanks for being here and for helping people out!
+1

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

robysue

Post by robysue » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:36 pm

SleepDisturbed wrote:I dont know whether to suggest a nice glass of merlot for Robysue or for Enchanter.

Maybe both!
No merlot for me. Red wines are a migraine trigger. Now how about a glass of a nice Riesling?

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:05 pm

robysue wrote:
SleepDisturbed wrote:I dont know whether to suggest a nice glass of merlot for Robysue or for Enchanter.

Maybe both!
No merlot for me. Red wines are a migraine trigger. Now how about a glass of a nice Riesling?
+1

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Ilikecpap

Post by Ilikecpap » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:00 pm

The same thing happened to me. I remembered being awake all night, every minute of it, but I did know that it's possible to be sleeping yet feel awake, ahead of time because my doctor had told me some things when I first saw him about insomnia. So when it was over and I talked with the tech, he said I slept some and though I was as sure as you that I remembered every moment, I accepted that I probably slept lightly and my doctor prescribed CPAP. That was a few years ago (I forget time passing) and now I'd have trouble going to sleep without it, being accustomed to having it on every night. BTW, I was able to sleep full 8 hours at home the first night on CPAP and have ever since, so don't be afraid you won't. I think anticipating not sleeping well at first with CPAP is a main reason many people don't. Been a long time away from this forum so hi to everyone.

Last edited by Ilikecpap on Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Respironics DreamStation Auto
Resmed AirFit FN20 Nasal Mask

Elle

Post by Elle » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:03 pm

Congrats enchanter. You've managed to keep several people paying attention to your drama for days. Good work by someone who knows how to remain the focus.

robysue

Post by robysue » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:06 pm

Enchanter wrote:I'm surprised that you were adamant about not wanting to wear it.
You'd be surprised by the fact that there are a number of old timers who had a genuinely tough time adjusting. Or who still are not sleeping as well as they'd like to even though they PAP night after night.

You want to see just how bad things were for me? Here are some of the classic posts from my first three months: I could post more, but you'll get the picture.

Nowadays? I still have problems with the insomnia. But its sort of under control with the help of sleep hygiene, adjusting my expectations of when and how much I'm likely to sleep, and the judicious use of prescription sleeping medications.

As for the all important How do you feel? question: I do feel better now than I did before CPAP. But it was a long, hard battle for me to get there. I don't yet feel as well as I would like to feel. But then I will turn 57 this summer and when the migraines/tension headaches/insomina/tmj quartete gets going in an effort to outdo each other in terms of making me feel miserable, well, there's not much Kaa, my BiPAP can do about it. And battling the migraines/tension headaches/insomnia/tjm quartet has gotten old these last few years. But I continue to muddle trough as best I can.
Your hubby did you a good favor.
My hubby is a keeper. He put up a whole bunch of pretty bad stuff when I was at my worst in the bad old days of my first six months of PAPing, including throwing my machine across the room in frustration and screaming at him in the middle of the night because I just could not sleep. He's now a happy PAPer himself; he was diagnosed with mild OSA primarily on his back two summers ago, but he was much more symptomatic than I was. Hubby took to PAPing like a fish to water and started feeling better within a week or so of starting therapy. He did, however, put off getting the CPAP and starting therapy for several months after his titration study was done.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:38 pm

I think there are a few important things that have been brought out here.

We sometimes sleep and don't know we slept. Sometimes even while we're driving, for instance.

I'm not sure how clear the dividing line is between "sleep" and "awake," but, properly read, an EEG gives a pretty clear indication that you are "asleep," at least in terms of apnea showing up.

Morbius, care to comment on how clear the dividing line is on EEG between "sleep" and "non-sleep?" Is there some clear "switch" where some dramatic change in EEG clearly indicates you're asleep, or is it some sort of "level" that you slowly drift over and you're "asleep" when the number crosses some level.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:53 am

Robysue you are an absolute saint. Reading this thread has made me have visions of smothering someone with a pillow, or a pair of concrete shoes!

Enchanter you need to grow the feck up and act like an adult and appreciate the advice you have been given and SHUT UP! You are acting like my 3yo cousin.... anything that is said he answers with"why?", why, why? I love my nephew to bits but I swear I was ready to blow my top after the 50th "why?" in 5 mins.

I can see this happening after OSA is diagnosed, the OP will use the machine for one night and come back here bitching that they still feel the same as before. Well guess what sunshine, I'm 2 years in on using my machine and I'm still tired, and it sucks but I deal with it.

You need to take a spoonful of concrete and harden up. Oh and stop disrespecting the people who have tried to help you, I would of bitch slapped you across the room long ago if you behaved that way to me.

I don't care if you think I'm mean, nasty, channeling a tassie devil. Being gentle and nice to you hasn't worked, and I get very mad when my friends here who I admire and respect are treated the way you have treated them.

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:17 am

mgaggie, I understand how you feel. Months ago, there was someone in a group of people I went out with who was exactly like Enchanter and asked a million "why" questions and didn't seem to understand what she/he was doing was inappropriate no matter how hard we tried to answer the questions. And yup, the feeling of wanting to beat the heck out of that person did enter my thoughts as much as I hate to admit it.

There were several reasons why this person was incapable of understanding appropriate social behavior and yes, that included anxiety. If they could have responded appropriately, they would have but no matter how frustrated we got with this person, they didn't get the message and obviously, that is what is happening with Enchanter.

Enchanter, when you look into techniques for remedying anxiety, you might also research ways of dealing with novel situations as I am sensing that it seems to throw you completely off which then leads to your million questions that irritates folks. Might want to consult a therapist on this or do a google search to look for online information.

Best of luck to you.

49er

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:38 am

I am tetchier than normal today. An early start and a 400km round trip (me driving) is very draining.

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:43 am

mgaggie wrote:I am tetchier than normal today. An early start and a 400km round trip (me driving) is very draining.
Totally understand. I would feel the same way if I were in your position.

49er

SleepDisturbed

Post by SleepDisturbed » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:02 am

robysue wrote:

Maybe both!
Well, maybe. As long as it is a nice dry Kabinett type, not a sweet syrupy concoction {{shudder}}!

What I lack in verbosity, I make up in brevity.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:21 am

Enchanter wrote:(but-but-but-but-but-but-but...)
I'm not around much lately, as I'm busier than I'd like to be caring for two sick parents. But I had some free time last night and read a few of your threads. I have to congratulate you on having the most ironic username I've ever encountered in my several years on this forum!

Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

robysue

Post by robysue » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:59 am

SleepDisturbed wrote:
robysue wrote:

Maybe both!
Well, maybe. As long as it is a nice dry Kabinett type, not a sweet syrupy concoction {{shudder}}!
Yes, I agree. The Rieslings that are sweet can be way too sweet. Kabinetts, however, are among my favorite wines.