Should this become a 'Sticky'?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Re: Should this become a 'Sticky'?

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:38 am

Julie wrote:No!!

For starters, the misinformation in the first list is appalling, out of date and just plain wrong. There is so much real and good info already here (see lightbulb at top, and just read threads over the years, plus the "Announcements" section... people here are already pretty well educated about apnea and don't need old myths laid on.

"Obstructive sleep apnea can develop in anyone at any age but most often occurs in people who are:
Overweight
Male
Age 40 and older
Smokers"
+1

cancun

Post by cancun » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:21 am

I am new here, what is a "sticky"?

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:57 am

On the main pg, there's a list of 5+ notes called 'Announcements" - Pugsy's Tutorial being the first, and those notes stay there all the time as they're comprehensive and apply to all, well written and technically correct, so everyone can learn from them... and we call them stickies because it's what we call the little pads of 3M notes that we all stick to our walls, computers, etc.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:50 am

The main feature of the sticky is that it doesn't move down the page but remains or sticks to the same spot at the top of the forum index. In this forum's case, that section is titled Announcements. On some other forums, all the posts are in the same section but the ones at the top are stickied and never move down.

The idea is that these are important, valuable posts that anyone new to a forum should read first. In many cases, they will keep the same questions from being asked and answered again and again and clogging up the board.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:43 am

A "sticky" also puts the name of the originator right up there on the first line.
FAME of a sort, for those who crave it, and some of those are downright desperate!

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:03 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:A "sticky" also puts the name of the originator right up there on the first line.
FAME of a sort, for those who crave it, and some of those are downright desperate!
are you talking about Frank?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:16 pm

In a word, YES!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:42 pm

cancun wrote:I am new here, what is a "sticky"?
n.
- marijuana whose buds are lightly coated in a sticky natural resin.

Example in a sentence
I'm so juiced, playa! I got da hookup on some super-sticky and I'ma get faded!

cancun

Post by cancun » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:44 pm

Julie wrote:On the main pg, there's a list of 5+ notes called 'Announcements" - Pugsy's Tutorial being the first, and those notes stay there all the time as they're comprehensive and apply to all, well written and technically correct, so everyone can learn from them... and we call them stickies because it's what we call the little pads of 3M notes that we all stick to our walls, computers, etc.

Thank you Julie, I am trying to learn! I am mostly just lurking until I get my CPAP but sometimes I can't help myself and have to join in.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:52 pm

The link that the OP wanted made a sticky could be more accurately described as a "stinky".

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:06 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
cancun wrote:I am new here, what is a "sticky"?
n.
- marijuana whose buds are lightly coated in a sticky natural resin.

Example in a sentence
I'm so juiced, playa! I got da hookup on some super-sticky and I'ma get faded!

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:10 pm

tedburnsIII wrote:Gee, what is YOUR PROBLEM?
Ted, on the internet, you need to learn to not feed the trolls.

However, that site is bad. Lots of dangerous misinformation.

CPAP is the treatment for apnea.

Positional "therapy" is useful for some, but it's a very minor benefit in general. Mentioning it in the same breath as CPAP gives a lot of false hope.

The same is true to some extent for dental devices. They cost money, cause lots of TMJ and other problems, don't work very well, and there's generally no indication whether they're working or not.

They mention surgery, but don't make it clear how abysmal the success rate is, and how often there are very major side effects. It should be very clear that surgery is a desperate last effort for someone who can't make CPAP work. It should also make it clear that there are a lot of chop happy surgeons out there with delusions of grandeur who are all too eager to perform surgery on everyone.

As for making a sticky, it takes up space that could be used for more valuable things. I also did some testing on another bulletin board and found out that people have gotten so used to not reading the stickies that they are not very effective.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:25 am

Positional "therapy" is useful for some, but it's a very minor benefit in general. Mentioning it in the same breath as CPAP gives a lot of false hope.
Since my AHI was 5.9 (RDI was 21) from my sleep study last year, positional therapy was inferred as a possibility. Tried it a few times and it was a disaster.

Perhaps if I hadn't had the respiratory events, it might have worked alot better. But I am concerned that many folks diagnosed with allegedly mild apnea may be in similar situation to mine with the RERAS. Also, as we all know, people with mild apnea can suffer alot more problems than folks who have a moderate to major case.
The same is true to some extent for dental devices. They cost money, cause lots of TMJ and other problems, don't work very well, and there's generally no indication whether they're working or not.
Actually, the link in my signature to research from 2011 shows adjustable appliances have a good success rate for mostly mild to moderate AHIs meaning they get the AHI below 5. Unfortunately, I haven't found any recent research which I would love to see. Still, in my opinion, it is a good next step for someone who has tried everything possible under the sun to make pap therapy work.
They mention surgery, but don't make it clear how abysmal the success rate is, and how often there are very major side effects. It should be very clear that surgery is a desperate last effort for someone who can't make CPAP work. It should also make it clear that there are a lot of chop happy surgeons out there with delusions of grandeur who are all too eager to perform surgery on everyone.
Unfortunately, there is no updated information on what the true success rate is because everyone's definition is different. Also, success can be different for each patient. For example, if someone has severe apnea and hasn't been able to get pap therapy to work, if they get their AHI down to 15, they definitely have improved their health even if they haven't reached the ideal goal of an AHI of 5 or below.

Also, according to some sleep surgeons, success rates are low because people aren't being matched appropriately for various surgeries. I know if god forbid I had to go this route, I wouldn't have any surgery without having a sleep endoscopy or extensive examination of my airway.

Regarding chop happy surgeons, I saw several ENTs before my septoplasty last month since I had debated having this procedure last year and none of them were chop happy in my opinion. They always inquired about conservative measures before they discussed surgery specifics. And with the exception of one ENT, they never discussed surgery for sleep apnea. And in that guy's defense, I think my questions were not clear which led to the discussion.
As for making a sticky, it takes up space that could be used for more valuable things. I also did some testing on another bulletin board and found out that people have gotten so used to not reading the stickies that they are not very effective.
Not surprising at all. I am probably one of those guilty parties.

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:12 am

archangle wrote:
tedburnsIII wrote:Gee, what is YOUR PROBLEM?
Ted, on the internet, you need to learn to not feed the trolls.

Let me say at the outset that I LOVE ALL THE INFORMATION ON THIS FORUM. IT IS GREAT, I'D HAVE A MUCH MORE DIFFICULT TIME WITHOUT THIS FORUM'S AVAILABILITY TO ME AND OTHERS.

The major issue that I have with the forum is that some of the TROLLS here are knowledgable, but are nasty, rude, cantankerous, cynical 'know-it-alls' who obviously suffer from some type of personality disorder or maybe they are just bored.

Thank you, archangle & 49er and others, for your posts here. I am going to limit my posts here.
Machine - https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmart ... ducts.html
Setting: APAP, 10.5-14cm
Software: Proprietary
Mask- PR Wisp nasal (large); ResMed FX Nasal (wide);
Oximeter: CMS50D+

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:15 am

chunkyfrog wrote:A "sticky" also puts the name of the originator right up there on the first line.
Thank you for defaming me.
Machine - https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmart ... ducts.html
Setting: APAP, 10.5-14cm
Software: Proprietary
Mask- PR Wisp nasal (large); ResMed FX Nasal (wide);
Oximeter: CMS50D+