Hi, new member here!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
candlegirl76

Hi, new member here!

Post by candlegirl76 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:32 pm

Newly diagnosed with moderate obstructive sleep apnea. I have an APAP machine that I am faithfully using for naps (3-4x a week) and at night (8-9 hours). I've had a slight increase in energy (very slight) and less daytime sleepiness with a reduction in the number of migraines I get. I still have a constant feeling of fatigue and wish it would go away! I'm 38, visually not a candidate for sleep testing (per my GP), (I just found out that I have a family history of sleep apnea, all 5 of my brothers and my dad - who was undiagnosed)and the sleep study was a last ditch resort to find out why I WAS so tired, had a constant migraine, couldn't lose weight and was so depressed. I have been utterly exhausted since having my 1st child over 6 years ago. Then I had twins. They are now 3 1/2. When they were 3 and I was still exhausted I started to realize that I shouldn't still be this tired. I know I've had sleep apnea for the last 6 years at least and thinking back I have been tired and could nap easily even as a hardworking teenager (I grew up on a farm and worked hard doing chores, etc.). So my sleep deficit is probably pretty huge, so this could take awhile to get back to normal (ha ha, what's normal?), right?! Thanks for listening/reading and I'm looking forward to doing some more reading on the forum and learning more about all the amazing people here who understand what all this is about or are learning about it, too!

Pugsy

Re: Hi, new member here!

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:42 pm

Welcome to the forum.
When you have time download and use SleepyHead software so you can evaluate the effectiveness of your therapy.
See here for more information on Sleepyhead
https://sleep.tnet.com/equipment

It's very possible that you do just need more time but you might as well make sure that the therapy is at least optimal while you are giving it time and if it is sub optimal then let's fix it now to give you a better chance of feeling better sooner.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

candlegirl76

Post by candlegirl76 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:43 pm

Thanks, Pugsy!

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:51 pm

Welcome! It's terrific that you have a machine that is supported by the wonderful SleepyHead software - you'll have all the information you need to optimize your therapy. Let us know if you have any problems getting SleepyHead installed and running.

You're already over the most difficult part of getting used to the equipment. Now, it's just a matter of fine tuning.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:05 pm

also, happy cake day!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

candlegirl76

Post by candlegirl76 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:16 pm

palerider wrote:also, happy cake day!
Thanks, palerider!

candlegirl76

Post by candlegirl76 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:27 pm

yaconsult wrote:Welcome! It's terrific that you have a machine that is supported by the wonderful SleepyHead software - you'll have all the information you need to optimize your therapy. Let us know if you have any problems getting SleepyHead installed and running.

You're already over the most difficult part of getting used to the equipment. Now, it's just a matter of fine tuning.
Thanks. And I just realized I can see a small amount of data on the screen on the machine. I love data.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:56 pm

Oh, you're going to LOVE SleepyHead! viewtopic/t88983/Pugsys-PointersSleepyH ... Hints.html

candlegirl76

Post by candlegirl76 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:16 am

It was totally awesome and shocking to me when I saw what's been happening while I've been "sleeping" this past month! But so cool!

candlegirl76

Post by candlegirl76 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:36 am

I LOVE SH. It's awesome to see how I've been sleeping since I started using my APAP machine. I was diagnosed with an elevated AHI of 17 and an oxygen desat nadir of 85%. Auto setting is at 5-18cmH2O and my average pressure is 6.8 but I have gotten up to 15. My AHI ranges from 1.17-2.80 with a spike to 4.40 now and then. My High Blood Pressure has starting dropping (doing home monitoring) and I've been able to drop from 150mg of Metoprolol XL to 100mg daily per my doctor's instructions.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:03 am

Welcome to the forum! Give it more time. You have some sleep debt to repay. Hope it works for you. Work all your issues here.

Sheriff

Nick Danger

Post by Nick Danger » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:27 am

Great job, Candle Girl! If you post the graphs from a night's sleep, some forum members may have some insight into tweaks that might improve things a bit. Some of us didn't have the exhaustion disappear... well... overnight For some of us it improved gradually over a period of weeks until one day, we happened to realize that we couldn't remember the last time we took a nap.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:17 am

I found that I have the most restful sleep when my pressures are set
at 2 cm. below and 2 cm. above my 95% pressure, as reported by the machine.

candlegirl76

Post by candlegirl76 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:30 pm

Here it is. This is from two nights ago. Last night was an awful night and I haven't looked at it yet. Thanks so much for all the helpful tips and the warm welcome I've received! I feel like such a fish out of water. I was just explaining to my husband that I won't be tired forever (finger crossed)!

Nick Danger

Post by Nick Danger » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:59 pm

Pugsy's a lot better at this - and she's probably going to want to see the flow limitation graph, but it looks like a slight increase in your minimum pressure from 5 to 6 might help.