my husbands diagnosis of OSA

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tedburnsIII

Re: my husbands diagnosis of OSA

Post by tedburnsIII » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:04 pm

palerider wrote:if you just got that thing, the best thing you could probably do is take it back and yell at them for fobbing off cheap chinese knock off junk on you and make them give you a respironics or resMED machine.
I wouldn't behave in that manner, because I have been very happy with them, except perhaps this issue. We live in a capitalist society, they want to maximize their profit. I am on MediCare and sort of wish that I were NOT so happy with this machine.

I've had experience with never being satisfied. 'The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence' mentality. Not always true. Sometimes things become worse, not better.

The only thing that disappoints me about the machine is that I cannot hook up an oximeter to it- so I have to do that separately, and, also, it is NOT compatible with SleepyHead. But the software online is surprisingly better than I thought it might be.

And one can just press the ramp button in the morning and get 'numbers' then and there. And there's also the cellphone apps. I'm okay with this machine, at least for now.
It seems to WORK JUST FINE.

Perhaps I am just an 'uniformed' newbie.
Machine - https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmart ... ducts.html
Setting: APAP, 10.5-14cm
Software: Proprietary
Mask- PR Wisp nasal (large); ResMed FX Nasal (wide);
Oximeter: CMS50D+

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:59 pm

tedburnsIII wrote:Perhaps I am just an 'uniformed' newbie.
how many machines have you used? how many different brands? how long have you been on cpap again?

http://www.zacks.com/stock/news/107654/ ... t-advances

and,

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread ... 8#pid62238

though the rest of the thread is interesting too.

can you offer up some comparisons of people that have actually USED a different brand of machine and found that the resmart was *better*?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:23 pm

Well, who knows, not that I give a 'hoot' about the patent infringement case. I did not know about it until your post, and I still don't care.

If 3B loses, perhaps I will be able to upgrade to the original or other 'Cadillac' type machine.

Doc J's review was overall complimentary. I don't see how he could review it, though, if he did not have the SD card to GET THE DATA! aaaRRRRGGGgghhhh!

There's no doubt that one is probably better off with the more expensive machines. One usually gets what one pays. I'd be bi*ching, moaning and complaining if I felt that the machine was cr*p, but so far, so good. So I prefer to focus my attention on maximizing my therapy, though I feel that I am as responsible as the DME for not exercising a better choice. The problem is that I was not aware of that choice.

However, I've had remarkable results with the 3B RESmart APAP! Very happy with it. And for anyone, if they exist, who may purchase solely on their own, RECOMMEND!
Last edited by tedburnsIII on Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:31 pm

tedburnsIII wrote:I did not know about it until your post, and I still don't care.
well, I guess ignorance is bliss.

I'm glad you're happy.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:44 pm

This whole thing reminds me of when I was sort of pursuing a career in professional photography.

It was very tempting and appealing to get into the 'techie' aspect of it, the equipment aspect. but those who were the gifted photographers focused more
on getting the image, and were just as happy with a SLR with a 50mm lens or even a 'pinhole' camera, and their images might be better than the techies, like me, who really got into upper-end equipment- many lenses, view cameras, Medium format photography, expensive lighting equipment, etc.

In any event, sure, I agree with you. but with this suit, the lower-end machine I got stuck with must have closely resembled the 'Cadillac' version otherwise they would not have brought an infringement suit.

So I am content, for now. Except as things I previously mentioned here, my machine apparently does almost everything the more expensive models do at half the cost.

And I like and agree with those of you who are into the empirical aspect of this therapy, reading of charts, adjusting pressures, etc. I am all for that.

But I am presently content to focus more on maximizing my therapy with a good machine that has, IMHO, adequate data capability.
Last edited by tedburnsIII on Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:49 pm

Also, note that many people buy used machines for much, much less than retail prices. For example, I bought the machine in my signature for $100 with only 95 hours on the blower. And it's one of the "cadillac" brands.

But far more important to the folks here is having machines that are compatible with SleepyHead software - there's just nothing else near as good, even including the software from the companies that made the machine. Folks who have never used it have no idea how good it is because they only see the static screenshots that get posted here as images. But those charts are completely interactive - we can zoom and pan and slide and look at anything we want in as much detail as we want - breath by breath!

I am glad that you are happy with your machine - best of luck with it! But please, let's not derail this thread - the OP is looking for help with her husband's therapy. We can debate the merits of different machines in a new thread - I'm done discussing the merits of machines in this thread unless it's with the OP.

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:57 pm

Yeah, SleepyHead would've been nice, but one would think that when one has the therapy down, I would think all the charts and
graphs would only be consulted on a weekly or less frequent basis, and that merely getting the numbers daily by pressing the ramp button and scrolling
might be sufficient.

Thanks for your comments.

OP's husband seems kind of ignorant and foolish.
Last edited by tedburnsIII on Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robysue

Post by robysue » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:02 pm

tedburnsIII wrote:yaconsult- what is lacking in my post above?

The day by day graph isn't sufficient? My entire post above concerns info obtained from my lower-end RESmart APAP. I specifically refer to the first item displayed in my post above yours..
The day by day graph is summary data for each day. It's good data. Far better than no data or summary data over many days.

But it does not provide you with detailed information about what when on each night: In other words, given the data you posted, you can't tell when the events are occurring. That may not be important for everyone, and certainly most doctors are not that interested in it. But it does help us trouble shoot: If a person's pressure settings are not quite high enough to properly control the OSA during REM, we'll see clusters of events occurring roughly every 90 minutes or so. If the average leak rate indicates there might be a problem, we can't tell if the problem is intermittent mouth breathing or if there's a really serious problem with mouth breathing all night long.

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:19 pm

Yeah, you can't tell to the exact minute, but I know when the aps and hpys occur, and clusters, if you view that first posted graph. It gives a nice 'snapshot' of the entire night, which is adequate in my opinion (with my two months experience)!!! There is a time of night scale on the bottom of that graph. The graph conveys a lot of things to me over the course of a night's sleep.
Last edited by tedburnsIII on Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:28 pm

robysue wrote:
tedburnsIII wrote:yaconsult- what is lacking in my post above?

The day by day graph isn't sufficient? My entire post above concerns info obtained from my lower-end RESmart APAP. I specifically refer to the first item displayed in my post above yours..
The day by day graph is summary data for each day. It's good data. Far better than no data or summary data over many days.

But it does not provide you with detailed information about what when on each night: In other words, given the data you posted, you can't tell when the events are occurring. That may not be important for everyone, and certainly most doctors are not that interested in it. But it does help us trouble shoot: If a person's pressure settings are not quite high enough to properly control the OSA during REM, we'll see clusters of events occurring roughly every 90 minutes or so. If the average leak rate indicates there might be a problem, we can't tell if the problem is intermittent mouth breathing or if there's a really serious problem with mouth breathing all night long.
Is one able to tell sleep stages/architecture accurately using the upper-end machines and SleepyHead? Or is it a guess, or an educated guess? And if the latter, how accurate a guess or educated guess might it be in probability percentage? Curious.
Last edited by tedburnsIII on Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:41 pm

tedburnsIII wrote: adequate in my opinion (with my two months experience)!!!
in *my* opinion, we'd all be much better served if you and your vast two months of experience refrained from gibbering on incessantly and indeed quit attempting to show everybody how much you know.

yes, yes, we all understand that you're really proud of your air blowy thingy, and you're desperately defensive of it in an effort to convince yourself that it isn't just a horrible mistake you've let be foisted off on you... we get it.

now, run along and play.

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:42 pm

Thank you, Daddy.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:53 pm

tedburnsIII wrote:Thank you, Daddy.
I'm a little confused as to why you are going on and on in a thread where you are not the OP? I thought it was Holli that was asking about their brand new machine?
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:07 pm

Krelvin wrote:
tedburnsIII wrote:Thank you, Daddy.
I'm a little confused as to why you are going on and on in a thread where you are not the OP? I thought it was Holli that was asking about their brand new machine?
Well, I was trying to limit my comments to her machine, which is identical to mine, and I thought all comments as to how I felt the machine worked, along with its data-reporting, would be relevant and informative to her inquiries.

And it appears that I had to go on defensive due to the 'machine-bashing' enthusiasts who PROBABLY NEVER OWNED OR USED IT. And those 'individuals' KNOW who they are...

Please tell me there are no PaleriderII or PaleriderIII's on the planet. lol

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:30 pm

How is it going, Holli? Anything new to report? Sorry about the digression - what we'd really like to know is how you and your husband are doing.