Can you feel a restricted airway/thick neck?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Enchanter

Can you feel a restricted airway/thick neck?

Post by Enchanter » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:09 pm

So I understand that a restricted airway can affect your oxygen levels at night because you stop breathing. But what if I told you I think I feel it all the time when I'm awake? For instance I think that my restricted airway makes it harder to breathe during the day. There isn't as much room for oxygen to pass through. Now keep in mind, I also have allergies and have all my life, so my nose can get stuffy. When it's not stuffy, I don't notice that sensation as much. But one time a doctor looked in my throat and asked me if it was hard to breathe. So there must be something to what I'm saying.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier
- Allergy Shots + nose Spray + Hepa Air Purifier
- Cardiovascular Exercise + Stretching

Julie

Re: Can you feel a restricted airway/thick neck?

Post by Julie » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:22 pm

No you can't feel it. Any more than you can feel your appendix or intestines.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:56 pm

I would try not to think too much about it if I were you.
If you have apnea, you need to use your machine. Period.
Your doctor's comments make me think he is trying to sell you on surgery.

Elle

Post by Elle » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:00 pm

If you spend every waking moment focusing on your health you are bound to notice some things that seem 'off'. Try to find something to do or help someone or ask the people here how they are doing. Anything to keep you from self absorption is the best health fix there is.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:16 pm

Enchanter wrote: your oxygen... room for oxygen
blah oxygen blah oxygen blah ...

you ever notice that air is like 78% nitrogen?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:27 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I would try not to think too much about it if I were you.
If you have apnea, you need to use your machine. Period.
Your doctor's comments make me think he is trying to sell you on surgery
Why do you say that?
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier
- Allergy Shots + nose Spray + Hepa Air Purifier
- Cardiovascular Exercise + Stretching

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:52 am

Enchanter wrote:So I understand that a restricted airway can affect your oxygen levels at night because you stop breathing. But what if I told you I think I feel it all the time when I'm awake? For instance I think that my restricted airway makes it harder to breathe during the day. There isn't as much room for oxygen to pass through. Now keep in mind, I also have allergies and have all my life, so my nose can get stuffy. When it's not stuffy, I don't notice that sensation as much. But one time a doctor looked in my throat and asked me if it was hard to breathe. So there must be something to what I'm saying.
I agree about over analyzing things to death which I have been definitely guilty of. By the way, if you feel your stuffy nose is really bothersome, get an evaluation by an ENT/Allergist.

Finally, as an FYI, even before my septoplasty last month, when I measured my O2 levels with a cheap recording oximeter I had purchased, they were always fine when I was awake in spite of having a very stuffy nose. Just saying.

sleepstar

Post by sleepstar » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:19 pm

49er wrote:
Enchanter wrote:So I understand that a restricted airway can affect your oxygen levels at night because you stop breathing. But what if I told you I think I feel it all the time when I'm awake? For instance I think that my restricted airway makes it harder to breathe during the day. There isn't as much room for oxygen to pass through. Now keep in mind, I also have allergies and have all my life, so my nose can get stuffy. When it's not stuffy, I don't notice that sensation as much. But one time a doctor looked in my throat and asked me if it was hard to breathe. So there must be something to what I'm saying.
I agree about over analyzing things to death which I have been definitely guilty of. By the way, if you feel your stuffy nose is really bothersome, get an evaluation by an ENT/Allergist.

Finally, as an FYI, even before my septoplasty last month, when I measured my O2 levels with a cheap recording oximeter I had purchased, they were always fine when I was awake in spite of having a very stuffy nose. Just saying.

How'd you go with the surgery?

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:35 pm

Lots of people find it hard to breathe for various reasons. Many of them can feel it.

For instance, think to what it's like when your nose is stuffy. If you don't open your mouth, you'll definitely feel the difficulty of breathing and the effects of that.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:46 pm

Yes, but your nose is essentially an outside organ, whatever it may be attached to.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:08 pm

Julie wrote:Yes, but your nose is essentially an outside organ, whatever it may be attached to.
Do you really think that if your airway was restricted and made it difficult to inhale or exhale, that you wouldn't feel discomfort?

Anyway, your airway in the throat is very sensitive. Just think back until the last time you got something stuck in your throat. Or when you had a sore throat, lots of phlegm, etc. Pay attention the next time you swallow a large bite of something, you'll be able to feel it for quite a while as it goes down your throat.

As for appendix or intestines, I can certainly feel discomfort when my intestines have too much gas. I also understand that an infected appendix is very painful.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:16 pm

Hi - it's one thing to feel something stuck in your throat, or even have a sore throat, but I believe they were referring to relative size and nothing else.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:41 pm

Why? If there is the chance your doctor's comment was what got you on this unhappy head trip, that's why.
this is not to say that your physical symptoms are of no consequence, but that they are probably of less importance than you believe them to be. Shame on your doctor if his careless comment is causing you distress.

Elle

Post by Elle » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:33 pm

I wonder if enchanter is sick with apnea?

robysue

Post by robysue » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:39 pm

Elle wrote:I wonder if enchanter is sick with apnea?
According to his thread about his doctor's appointment, the doc thinks he's got a very high probability of having OSA and Enchanter has a sleep test scheduled for tommorrow (Saturday) night. But Enchanter is not yet using a CPAP.

And that does NOT sound like our old "friend" sickwithapnea, who refused the idea of going to a doc in the first place and who kept posting about how his various PAP machines were making him feel worse than he did before being diagnosed.

So no, I don't think Enchanter is the same person as sickwithapnea. And I say that as someone who has had multiple negative encounters with sickwithapnea on multiple boards.