New member-can't keep from ripping mask off at night!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Re: New member-can't keep from ripping mask off at night!

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:38 pm

49er wrote:This may or may not be applicable in your situation. When I erroneously thought that full face masks were my only option, this was a constant for problem for me because I felt the full face masks made my nasal congestion alot worse. Additionally, I had a hard time finding one that fit without having to massively tighten the straps which then led to extreme discomfort. Once I switched to the elan cloth mask, this problem practically ceased.

So my question to you is are you limited to full face masks because if you aren't, you might find a nasal/nasal pillow mask more comfortable and perhaps would not keep removing it. But if you are a mouth breather and/or have substantial nasal congestion problems, then it is best to stick with them and do what you can to make it work. And of course, listen closely to the advice on the pressure issues.
Hi 49er, you hit the nail on the head, I have had allergy and asthma issues since I was a kid and it seems I am trained to sleep breathing out of my mouth. Ironically it seem that may be causing leaks though, because the mask inflates my cheeks when it gets into my mouth and I can feel leaks starting even before I go to sleep.

seriousnarcoleptic

Post by seriousnarcoleptic » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:43 pm

Sorry didn't log in...it's a P+K Icon Plus.

seriousnarcoleptic

Post by seriousnarcoleptic » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:46 pm

49er wrote:This may or may not be applicable in your situation. When I erroneously thought that full face masks were my only option, this was a constant for problem for me because I felt the full face masks made my nasal congestion alot worse. Additionally, I had a hard time finding one that fit without having to massively tighten the straps which then led to extreme discomfort. Once I switched to the elan cloth mask, this problem practically ceased.

So my question to you is are you limited to full face masks because if you aren't, you might find a nasal/nasal pillow mask more comfortable and perhaps would not keep removing it. But if you are a mouth breather and/or have substantial nasal congestion problems, then it is best to stick with them and do what you can to make it work. And of course, listen closely to the advice on the pressure issues.
49er, I think you must know me because I had to have the full face mask because I had terrible allergies and asthma as a kid. I still cannot breathe through my nose properly at night, so I have developed a habit of breathing at least partway through my mouth at night.

seriousnarcoleptic

Post by seriousnarcoleptic » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:49 pm

mlg123 wrote:My sleep doc told me that I was ripping my mask off in the middle of the night from a lack of humidity. I thought she was crazy! She gave me a new machine with a heated hose and it made a big difference, i.e. no more ripping the mask off in the middle of the night. Then I thought she might not be so crazy after all. The problem returned after I decided to do some hose management and I had the hose hanging over my head. Suddenly I started ripping the mask off again. Then I remembered that humidity doesn't flow in a downward direction very well. I changed to attaching the hose to the top of my pillow (with a rubber band and a binder clip) and that helped immediately. I still sometimes remove my mask in the middle of the night, but this is with a slightly more conscious awareness as opposed to going to sleep with a mask on and waking up with no mask on and having no recollection of taking it off. For me, removing the mask unknowingly/involuntarily seems to definitely be related to a lack of humidity.
You know, my doc did mention that the machine needs to be lower than my mask when sleeping, but I really don't have something that height next to bed. It's only 6 inches or so higher so I thought it didn't matter, but I'll try putting it on the floor.

seriousnarcoleptic

Post by seriousnarcoleptic » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:51 pm

Pugsy wrote:Sounds like you have one of the F & P machines that is an apap (auto adjusting pressure) machine.
Sensawake is a feature and not part of the model name and doesn't really tell us much.
The newer F & P machines are call the Icon + series and there are different model names within that series.

Look here
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machines/fish ... l.php#:::4::
and here and see if you spot your machine
https://www.fphcare.com/sleep-apnea/cpa ... /f-p-icon/

If you do have the Auto (apap) then it is full data and compatible with SleepyHead software.
You need to use the software to see if the suffocation feeling during the night is from maybe apneas happening and causing you to wake up in a panic or maybe something else.
It all starts with the data evaluation.

See this for information to get you started with SleepyHead.
https://sleep.tnet.com/equipment

I can probably help you find the official F & P software but it's a real bitch to deal with and SleepyHead shows you the same stuff.
I'll try the sleepyhead software. Does it cost anything?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:58 pm

I don't know how much data is available on the Icon Premo + but give SleepyHead a try and see what it shows.
It says full efficacy at the website but I don't remember exactly what all is included on those machines.
SleepyHead is explained here with appropriate download links
https://sleep.tnet.com/equipment

This implies auto adjusting pressure machine but the Premo is a fixed pressure only machine
seriousnarcoleptic wrote:My doc has set my machine initially to a range of 8.5 -20 psi.
https://www.fphcare.com/products/icon-premoplus/

It can give you 8.5 or whatever but you only get one pressure and it stays the same all night and won't/can't change.
If your doctor really prescribed 8.5 to 20 range...the Icon + Premo won't do it. You might check to verify exactly what the doctor wanted you to have and use.

SleepyHead is free.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:58 pm

seriousnarcoleptic wrote:You know, my doc did mention that the machine needs to be lower than my mask when sleeping, but I really don't have something that height next to bed. It's only 6 inches or so higher so I thought it didn't matter, but I'll try putting it on the floor.
the *only* reason that it's suggested to have the machine lower than the mask is so that any water that condenses in the tube will run back downhill to the humidifier.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.