QT: Windows 10 this summer, Free upgrade first year

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jjhall

Re: QT: Windows 10 this summer, Free upgrade first year

Post by jjhall » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:32 pm

A couple of my friends also recommended one of the several add-ons out there to change the start menu "back to normal." My argument was if you learn to use the keyboard as I did, all of those add-ons (which incidentally use disk space, memory, and add yet another variable into your system should something go wrong) become unnecessary.

Microsoft has always had mixed luck with new releases, especially on the "home" side of things. Windows 3 had 2 major updates (3.1, then 3.11) before Windows 95 came out. Windows 95 had a ton of issues until OEMSR2 was released, and many people hated it because the UI completely changed with the introduction of the Start menu. Windows 98 had a ton of issues until SE came out. Windows ME was a turd, and no amount of polishing made it any better. Windows XP was finally released, and it merged the "business" NT kernel into the home user world, and still had a significant number of issues until Service Pack one was released. Windows Vista came out next, and like ME, was a turd beyond polishing. Windows 7 followed, and was well received as it was a long-needed update for those still on XP that did not want to go to Vista. Windows 8 was next. Some people are saying it is a turd like ME and Vista, and that it fits the "every other release" pattern that started with 98 and ME, but if you get past the UI changes it does not have many underlying issues. If anything, I think Windows 10 coming out soon is a bit premature and I'm more afraid of it being a "release just to release" since 8 works so well.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:59 pm

jjhall wrote:A couple of my friends also recommended one of the several add-ons out there to change the start menu "back to normal." My argument was if you learn to use the keyboard as I did, all of those add-ons (which incidentally use disk space, memory, and add yet another variable into your system should something go wrong) become unnecessary.
Some people have difficulty typing. Point and click is much simpler for them.

Disk space on a >800gb is normally not an issue, Memory on a modern computer of > 8gb will also not be an issue for small add-on utility's.

In many cases, users quite comfortable with their current setup are forced into win8 because their computer failed. Many are lost due to the changes.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

Hose_Head

Post by Hose_Head » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:48 pm

jjhall wrote:For those of you who have issues with the "new" Windows 8 interface "looking" different, here is a quick tip. Rather than clicking "Start" and trying to navigate through the (admittedly horrible) "start menu," just hit the Windows key on your keyboard and start typing the name of the program you want to run. After 3-4 letters it will most likely be the program highlighted, then you can simply press Enter. I got in the habit of doing this with Windows 7 as it really is much faster than searching through the menu with the mouse, and it works just as well in Windows 8. In fact when Win 8 came out, all of my buddies were complaining about the new interface and not being able to find their things. I never noticed a difference because it didn't affect me anyway with using the start menu via the keyboard. As a bonus, when I decided to pick up a Macbook, the same thing works (Apple-Spacebar rather than the start button) so the learning curve there has been minimal.

If you get in the habit of doing this, and rain your friends/relatives that rely upon you for assistance how to do it as well, you'll not only experience a little bit of efficiency improvement now, but you'll streamline the upgrade process most likely for many future upgrades.

Hope this helps!
Helpful tip for many. Not so much for those with memory issues. I can find an icon or recognize a name on a list every time. But ask me to remember that fancy-designed-by-marketing-department-name and you may as well just uninstall the software from my computer because I'll NEVER find it using your method.
I'm workin' on it.

RobertS975

Post by RobertS975 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:08 pm

I have been under the impression that OS upgrades have inherent issues in terms of drivers etc. Am I mistaken?

Matt00926

Post by Matt00926 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:27 pm

looks like the release ETA is around July, definitely this summer!
Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 ST
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Simplus FFM

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:38 pm

After doing so well with XP for so many years, this old woman felt like learning 8.0 (8.1) was a big pain. But after a few weeks, it became very easy. I know my learning abilities are not what they used to be, so how the heck did this happen?

(I do sometimes run into problems with printer drivers. HP Print and Scan Doctor got me out of a jam last weekend.)

Matt00926

Post by Matt00926 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:54 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:After doing so well with XP for so many years, this old woman felt like learning 8.0 (8.1) was a big pain. But after a few weeks, it became very easy. I know my learning abilities are not what they used to be, so how the heck did this happen?

(I do sometimes run into problems with printer drivers. HP Print and Scan Doctor got me out of a jam last weekend.)
Windows 7 and 8 are easier to learn IMO because they are more user friendly to the average person, more devices work via plug and play (there are always issues when an OS is first released), and there is less customization required. Programs and settings are more in your face.

On a fresh install, Windows XP took hours to customize and tweak properly. On a fresh install of Windows 7 and 8, you are pretty much ready to go.
Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 ST
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Simplus FFM

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:11 pm

Matt00926 wrote:you are pretty much ready to go.
I am!

Hose_Head

Post by Hose_Head » Fri May 01, 2015 7:52 am

Count me in the hate-it category for Windows 8.x It's the only operating system that I've ever come across where certain applications - even ones designed for W8.x - refuse to run or run improperly. For those applications I have to borrow my wife's laptop which is running W7.

At this point, who knows whether the same problems will be inherent in W10.

I think I'll wait for the bug reports before doing any upgrades, free or not.

For my next computer, I may just buy a Mac. If there is to be a mandatory steep learning curve and new software, then it may as well be to a system other than Windows.
I'm workin' on it.

coolbranch

Post by coolbranch » Fri May 01, 2015 8:01 am

Hope Sleepyhead likes W10

I LOVE OSCAR

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri May 01, 2015 10:28 am

coolbranch wrote:Hope Sleepyhead likes W10
well, if all else fails, I'll see if I can't get a version for it compiled when the time comes.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri May 01, 2015 9:02 pm

Getting ready to put in a Google ChromeBox, to replace my Windows 7 file server, if it will meet my needs it will cut the electric used weekly by my computer by 500%, only draws 65 watts, not 550 watts, plus I won't have to go to the Cave (BASEMENT) to use it. At worse I'll learn something new. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Papit

Post by Papit » Fri May 01, 2015 11:27 pm

I'm still not clear about Windows 10 freebie the first year.

Is Apple saying that for the first year after introduction we can get it for free and keep it and never be billed for it?

Or is Apple saying that for the first year after introduction we can get it for free and use it for free for 12 months after which time we will be charged for it?

Is anybody familiar with what the new features will be that might be compelling?

Last edited by Papit on Fri May 01, 2015 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Machine: AirCurve 10 ASV, Mask: AirFit N30i
PulseOx Data-transfer to OSCAR4-23-12http://tinyurl.com/nzd64gu
Wireless SD Card Data-transfer to OSCAR 8-14-15http://tiny.cc/z1kv8x

Papit

Post by Papit » Fri May 01, 2015 11:43 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:After doing so well with XP for so many years, this old woman felt like learning 8.0 (8.1) was . . .
Y'aint old, girl. You just reminded me of a good "aging" movie that's playing now, although in just a few theaters (not enough violence in it I guess, actually none).
Here's some info on it, "The Age of Adelaine"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UzSekc0LoQ

PulseOx Data-transfer to OSCAR4-23-12http://tinyurl.com/nzd64gu
Wireless SD Card Data-transfer to OSCAR 8-14-15http://tiny.cc/z1kv8x

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri May 01, 2015 11:49 pm

Papit wrote:I'm still not clear about Windows 10 freebie the first year.

Is Apple saying that for the first year after introduction we can get it for free and keep it and never be billed for it?
is this some kind of a joke?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.