QT: Windows 10 this summer, Free upgrade first year

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
squid13

QT: Windows 10 this summer, Free upgrade first year

Post by squid13 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:48 am

Windows 10 will be out this summer and it's a free upgrade for the first year for those who have Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1. After the first year you'll have to pay for it. This free upgrade is for home computers only. Think I'll wait for awhile and see how buggy it is and decided just before the free upgrade is over. https://www.yahoo.com/tech/microsoft-cl ... 56889.html

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

SGearhart

Re: QT: Windows 10 this summer, Free upgrade first year

Post by SGearhart » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:34 am

Microsoft has already installed an "Easter Egg" of sorts on your computer. It is update, KB3035583. It's currently inactive until Win10 is ready. It is located under Windows->System32->GWX.

Here is an article for further information:
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/mic ... TREe331754

Big Brother IS watching!

Slickpig

Post by Slickpig » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:25 am

We've been running the early access version here at work for quite some time, and I can easily say windows 10 will be the next "XP" or "7" It's really well done.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:34 am

Well.....I figure by this summer I might (stress the might) have figured out my new Win 8.1 computer that I got a couple of days ago. It's a bigger leap from Win 7 than Vista to Win 7 was.
Plus I got one of those 2 in 1 things that monkeys up things. My biggest problem right now is I do something and don't know what I did and I get something on the screen that I don't want and can't seem to figure out how to get out of it again....but I will get it sorted out.

How do you eat and elephant? one bite at a time...and when I get full I stop, regroup, do something on this old laptop, go outside and play in my garden for a while then go back for more bites later.

You know it's funny....I like experimenting with a lot of different things but I dread playing with new OS on these computers.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:50 am

I have a desktop with multiple physical hard drives.
I plan to simply install Windows 10 on a separate drive and adjust the BIOS to boot from the drive with the OS I would like to use at the moment. I expect to be able to share the data which remain on the separate disk for data only.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:02 pm

Slickpig wrote:We've been running the early access version here at work for quite some time, and I can easily say windows 10 will be the next "XP" or "7" It's really well done.
Don't know what you have been looking at, not impressed at all.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

JoeWingrove

Post by JoeWingrove » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:45 pm

Krelvin wrote:
Slickpig wrote:We've been running the early access version here at work for quite some time, and I can easily say windows 10 will be the next "XP" or "7" It's really well done.
Don't know what you have been looking at, not impressed at all.

Looking like it will be a decent upgrade and it will be hard to pass on it being a free upgrade even if you do end up waiting till closer to the deadline to wait for some bugs to be patched,

princessbelle

Post by princessbelle » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:09 pm

I wouldn't mind trying it out but I am unwilling to pay a yearly subscription to use it after the first year.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:53 pm

princessbelle wrote:I wouldn't mind trying it out but I am unwilling to pay a yearly subscription to use it after the first year.
There is no yearly subscription, once you install it it's yours, just like the Windows versions before this one.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:55 pm

princessbelle wrote:I wouldn't mind trying it out but I am unwilling to pay a yearly subscription to use it after the first year.
There is no yearly subscription....it's free for 12 months so anytime during the 12 months after it's released you can get it for free. If people dilly dally around and keep putting it off until after the 12 months then it will cost people to upgrade.
But once someone upgrades during those first 12 months there are no additional fees.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

princessbelle

Post by princessbelle » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:50 am

Okay no subscription for Windows 10, that is a good thing. I do hope it is much improved over Windows 8. My Dad just bought a new laptop and it has Windows 8. I was going to remove 8 and install 7 (after purchase) when I found a program that allowed me to make 8 look like 7. I suppose I would have learned it eventually but I can't help him with an os I have no clue about especially over the phone or on VSEE. He can barely use 7, he checks the the Detroit Red Wings schedule, the weather, uses Word (for spell check), VSEE (so I can "see" his desktop) and plays solitaire. I have those either in his favorites bar or shortcuts on his desk top. I get a couple calls a month and I don't mind talking to my Dad at all, gives him a reason to call.

jjhall

Post by jjhall » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:09 am

For those of you who have issues with the "new" Windows 8 interface "looking" different, here is a quick tip. Rather than clicking "Start" and trying to navigate through the (admittedly horrible) "start menu," just hit the Windows key on your keyboard and start typing the name of the program you want to run. After 3-4 letters it will most likely be the program highlighted, then you can simply press Enter. I got in the habit of doing this with Windows 7 as it really is much faster than searching through the menu with the mouse, and it works just as well in Windows 8. In fact when Win 8 came out, all of my buddies were complaining about the new interface and not being able to find their things. I never noticed a difference because it didn't affect me anyway with using the start menu via the keyboard. As a bonus, when I decided to pick up a Macbook, the same thing works (Apple-Spacebar rather than the start button) so the learning curve there has been minimal.

If you get in the habit of doing this, and rain your friends/relatives that rely upon you for assistance how to do it as well, you'll not only experience a little bit of efficiency improvement now, but you'll streamline the upgrade process most likely for many future upgrades.

Hope this helps!

princessbelle

Post by princessbelle » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:11 pm

What a great tip jjhall thank you. I hope I remember it!

squid13

Post by squid13 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:37 pm

If you want windows 8.1 to look like windows 7 then install classicshell http://www.classicshell.net/

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:07 pm

Two things that I did to Windows 8 after a couple of months, that have also carried into Windows 8.1:

1. Use "Start8" from Stardock. Gives you essentially the Windows 7 "Start" menu on Windows 8/8.1. Cost $5, and I've found it to be well worth it *smile*. Also allows you to configure a few other tablet-oriented features that are superfluous when using Windows 8/8.1 as a desktop.

2. Boot directly to my desktop. When I start my computer in the morning, the desktop boots up directly. I used a free script for that for Windows 8, and I think that Windows 8.1 has it built in.

3. You can also disable the stupid lock screen, so you don't have to see that anymore.

With just these simple changes, I've been able to enjoy the Windows 8/8.1 improvements, and have a reasonable experience on a desktop computer. I suppose that a lot of people have done this as well, but if you haven't, you might give it some thought. Really simplifies your desktop computer use, and you also have the latest OS improvements and security fixes from Windows 8.1.

Looking forward to Windows 10, too. I've been using the previews via VM's, and looks good to me. Finally has multiple desktops, late to the party, but better late than never.