Bipap not working/ fixed it/ Thx forum

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mubiksski

Bipap not working/ fixed it/ Thx forum

Post by mubiksski » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:51 am

Hi,
So my Respironics system one model 750 with humidifier is not working as a bipap, but only as a cpap, no matter what I do in the set up menu? I have done a search and can't find this issue anywhere. I did get to the advanced set up mode in the menu, and tried to get it working, but to no avail!

I did have it apart the other day to fix the humidifier which was exactly as described here on this site. The burned out wire. (thank you very much) I am sure that I got it back together correctly, but I did disconnect the two other small harness's to solder the wire that needed repair. And now I am not sure if my repair and the dysfunction of the bipap coincide? It may have been doing this for a while longer, but I only realized it last night, after I reassembled it?

So anyone who can help, or can provide a link, please oblige me. It works so much better for me as a bipap. Also I use nose pillows and if I turn on mask alert it will beep and shut down after a few minutes. I don't think the mask type is correct and don't see how or where to change it? I do not have insurance and want to avoid any expense at this point. Any help is much appreciated.
M
Last edited by mubiksski on Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pugsy

Re: Bipap not working. working as cpap...HELP

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:21 am

Did you go into the clinical setup menu where the mode choices are cpap/bilevel/auto for the modes of operation?
That's where mask alert and mask choice is also found. If you didn't change the mode then try changing it.
If you did change the mode and it still won't work as bilevel...and your reports confirm it...then you may have messed something up...also if you looked at your past data you can see if it wasn't performing well prior to the surgery by using the software.

If you don't know how to do get to the clinical setup menu are..
You can request the provide/clinical manual that explains all that here
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p ... tup-manual

and here is the short version with pictures and there's a little video at the bottom
http://www.apneaboard.com/pr-system-one ... structions

One other note...if leaks are massive the massive can't function like it is supposed to in bilevel...so get the mask selection correct and still see if the mask alert wants to scream at you.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:42 am

Your machine has three modes: CPAP, BiPAP and Auto BiPAP. These are selected in the clinical menu that is accessed by turning the control knob to setup, then pressing the knob and ramp button at the same time until you hear two beeps. Then go back to the setup and press the control knob, and you can now access the clinical setup. The first option will be mode, followed by settings for pressure and pressure support, humidity etc. Get the manual. Since you're setting this up yourself, ask any questions you may have. There are many more options for setting IPAP, EPAP and pressure support that you need to understand.

mubiksski

Post by mubiksski » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:37 am

I have been to the clinical set up menu on the machine. I can't find anything on mask type? Also no matter how I configure the bipap or auto, I get constant mask preassure. Though I can change the ramp qualities for duration and pressure and that works.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:45 am

Crap...brain fart...the Respironics machines don't have mask selection other than Resistance control which really isn't mask selection like we are thinking of. So sorry...didn't have enough coffee in me to clear out the cobwebs earlier.

If you have already changed the settings in the clinical setup menu to either bilevel and auto and it doesn't deliver bilevel...you either had the problem prior to the surgery on the machine or you have developed a complication to the surgery.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

mubiksski

Post by mubiksski » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:06 am

Ok, no mask setting, that is clear, thank you. Seems like there would be a resistance setting that woul correlate or help in that regard?? Does anyone have directions for setting up the bipap from the clinical settings menu? I do have my prescription to enter the proper values if I can get the bipap up and running!

SGearhart

Post by SGearhart » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:27 am

Quick question. You stated you have a P-R 750, I thought the BiPAP model was a 760. With model is the BiPAP?

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:30 am

SGearhart wrote:Quick question. You stated you have a P-R 750, I thought the BiPAP model was a 760. With model is the BiPAP?

750 is the 50 series bipap and 760 is the 60 series bipap.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:31 am

Ignore the Resistance control thing...it isn't your problem...that I am sure of. Set it to 0 if not using a Respironics mask. And it won't hurt to set it to 0 even if you are using a Respironics mask...this feature is NOT critical for evaluating leak numbers and in fact has nothing to do with leaks in the sense that the machine has to figure out if your mask is leaking or not or how much.

Get the manual from the website I linked to above as it explains how to set the pressures if you don't already know how.
Mainly you pick a mode ...either bilevel for fixed dual pressures or Auto for auto adjusting dual pressures...and make the changes then hook yourself up to the machine and watch the LCD screen to see what the pressures are during inhale and exhale. They will change immediately so that you can see them if it is working.

Get the software so you can verify that the machine is working and leaks aren't an issue.
SleepyHead works great with the 750 machine.
See here for Sleepyhead info
https://sleep.tnet.com/equipment

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:34 am

For further clarification..

The PR S1 BiPap Auto model 750 is just the earlier version of the 760 with the heated hose option.
The 750/760 has 3 modes of operation
CPAP...which is simply plain cpap single fixed pressure mode.

But it has 2 modes of operation for bilevel dual pressures
Mode..Bilevel...is fixed dual pressure and won't auto adjust
Mode...Auto....Dual pressures that auto adjust within whatever parameters have been set.

If you are having trouble with figuring out which settings to choose...tell us the RX setting numbers that you do have.

SleepDisturbed

Post by SleepDisturbed » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:39 am

mubiksski wrote:I have been to the clinical set up menu on the machine. I can't find anything on mask type? Also no matter how I configure the bipap or auto, I get constant mask preassure. Though I can change the ramp qualities for duration and pressure and that works.
On bipap mode can you set EPAP and IPAP or won't that work either?

What I lack in verbosity, I make up in brevity.

mubiksski

Post by mubiksski » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:00 am

Wow! Thanks to all. This is such a great site. I will link to the manual and try again tonight when I get home from work. I will post my success later........ Thanks again

mubiksski

MY BAD

Post by mubiksski » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:55 pm

So to all that tried to help me, thank you. It was in my haste to put it back together, after the humidifier repair that "I" failed!
The seal/gasket that goes over the pipe in the machine with the tiny holes for the sensors and seals them to each other so the machine can read what is going on must have been out of alignment a bit when I put it back together. I took it apart again and carefully reassembled it. It is working just fine now! NEVER TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, BUT ALWAYS TIME TO DO IT TWICE!!!

palerider

Re: MY BAD

Post by palerider » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:06 pm

mubiksski wrote:So to all that tried to help me, thank you. It was in my haste to put it back together, after the humidifier repair that "I" failed!
The seal/gasket that goes over the pipe in the machine with the tiny holes for the sensors and seals them to each other so the machine can read what is going on must have been out of alignment a bit when I put it back together. I took it apart again and carefully reassembled it. It is working just fine now! NEVER TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, BUT ALWAYS TIME TO DO IT TWICE!!!
good to hear it.

I didn't catch that you were the guy that had taken the machine apart the other day, or I might have thought to suggest making sure that the air connections there were good and tight.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:49 pm

Nice job figuring it out! So the machine wasn't able to sense what was happening properly - makes sense.

I always advise when doing jobs like this - grab your phone and take lots of pictures as you take things apart. If you don't need them, they are easy to delete. If you do need them, they can be invaluable!

I'm starting to wonder if I should check that wire on my low hour 550P as opposed to waiting for it to fail? Do we have any idea how common this problem is? If rare, I wouldn't bother. If it happens 50% of the time or more, it would probably be worth it. I have lots of experience with electronics so I'm comfortable working on stuff.