I have rejoined the ranks of the CPAP-enabled

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Liam1965

Re: I have rejoined the ranks of the CPAP-enabled

Post by Liam1965 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:13 am

I tried that. That's the interesting thing, even as I exhale, the air coming out of the vent never changes temperature much. And to the extent that it does, it doesn't really fully cool back down until after I've taken my next breath.

It almost feels (and knowing physics quite well, I know this shouldn't be possible) as though I'm somehow filling up the mask while the air from the source tube skims around it to the outside and directly out. Which I know is not what's happening.

Anyway, I have a call in to the medical equipment company and an appointment on Monday to take it in and have them look it over. We shall see then. I really think that it's dropping back to a pressure of 4 at some point but telling me that it's still at 10. I'm thinking tonight I might turn off the "RAMP" feature and see if maybe it has a programming error and is resetting itself to RAMP mode at some point...

Liam, idly wondering how large a hole you need for a manometer... and rather hoping no one else in the group understands just how filthy is inner monologue can be.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:20 am

What are your humidity settings?
Using a heated hose? If so, at what settings for air temp and humidity?

How bad is your need to mouth breath due to congestion issues?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:37 am

I've been playing with the humidity, it was originally on "auto", but I thought maybe too high humidity might be causing the issue, so I turned it down to 2, and then up to 3 when I was getting serious dry-mouth. (I believe when I turned off auto it defaulted to 4).

Yes, it's a heated hose, the temp was set to 81 by default, as I recall. I turned it down to 76, again thinking the warm air might be increasing my feelings of "smothering".

And the mouth breathing at this time of year can be very bad due to allergies. During much of the year it's not as bad, but right now there are days when I can barely breathe.

Liam, trying to recall if he took his claritin this morning.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:43 am

It might be a good idea to bring your mask and hose with you when you go to the DME on Monday. It can be so hard to figure out exactly what's happening with these complex systems. I hope your DME is one of the good ones!

Also, have you tried looking at the sleepyhead data of your machine to see what the pressure and flow graphs look like? I hope you are able to get an answer soon.

Last edited by yaconsult on Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

SleepDisturbed

Post by SleepDisturbed » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:45 am

EPR settings?

What I lack in verbosity, I make up in brevity.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:13 am

I was wondering about the humidity vs air hose temp ratio...you need the moisture but the warmer the air the greater the chance of feeling a bit smothered by the humidity...like what happens in Las Vegas when it's hot and it rains. Man that will give a person a serious smothered feeling.

Perhaps try even low hose air temps??? See if it helps any. I use a constant humidity setting year round and just vary the air temps. 80 degrees is great in the winter but it's like a sauna in summer and the humidity really doesn't change but it sure feels like it does.
I think whatever you are feeling is going to be more pronounced simply due to the mask you are using...there's more air to skin surface area involved.

Should you ever get to a point where your nose might play nice enough to try a nasal mask of some sort check with me as I might have some freebies.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:27 am

Pugsy wrote:Should you ever get to a point where your nose might play nice enough to try a nasal mask of some sort check with me as I might have some freebies.
If they had the option (insurance will only pay for one), I'd have opted to pick up both a nasal and a full face, because there are definitely nights when a nasal mask or pillows would work very well for me. There are other nights when if that's all I have, I'm completely screwed because there's no way I'm getting sufficient air through my sinuses if you paid me a billion dollars to try.

So yeah, if you have any good suggestions for good nasal masks that won't cost me an arm and a leg, I'd love to have one on hand for the days when they would work!

Liam, wishing someone would offer him a billion dollars to use a nasal mask on a day when his sinuses were clear.

Nick Danger

Post by Nick Danger » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:41 pm

The Resmed Airfit P10 is a nasal pillows mask that many people like. Some are using the N10 (which is the nasal version of the mask). I got the P10 off Amazon for $76 (with free shipping) a week or so ago without a prescription.

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:01 pm

OK, plus side... last night seemed a bit better in terms of sleeping. However, I woke up feelilng just as tired as I've been, so I don't think it was RESTFUL sleep.

How long did it take all y'all not merely to tolerate CPAP, but actually to start feeling better when you woke in the morning?

Liam, longing to feel better.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:42 pm

Liam1965 wrote:How long did it take all y'all not merely to tolerate CPAP, but actually to start feeling better when you woke in the morning?
poke around a bit, there was a recent poll/thread on the subject.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:06 pm

Interesting... So I took my machine back to the place that gave it to me, and it's definitely not putting out a pressure of 10, even when it says it is. And it seems to be varying.

So the stuff I was talking about, about how the machine seemed to sometimes be giving me full pressure and sometimes didn't wasn't just my imagination.

Fun fun!

Liam, who can be correct even when he's exhausted...

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:22 pm

Liam1965 wrote:Interesting... So I took my machine back to the place that gave it to me, and it's definitely not putting out a pressure of 10, even when it says it is. And it seems to be varying..
interesting, I assume they gave you a working replacement...

let's hope for a better night tonight then.

pressure problems are a pretty rare thing these days, or, at least, the ones that turn up here.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:28 pm

So did the ones that looked at provide a replacement?
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:37 pm

Yes, I have a replacement machine.

Liam, feeling like the guy now dating the twin sister of his ex.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:59 pm

Treat her nice, she's a good kid.