I have rejoined the ranks of the CPAP-enabled

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Liam1965

Re: I have rejoined the ranks of the CPAP-enabled

Post by Liam1965 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:22 am

Appreciate the offer! After a couple of nights' try, I'll have a better sense and I shall take you up on it!

Liam, feeling supported, even though he's wearing neither bar nor cup.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:50 am

Liam1965 wrote: feeling supported, even though he's wearing neither bar nor cup.
I have to think that with these little things you come up with that your mind is certainly still very sharp.
My mind just can't go there no matter how much I wish it would.

Please stay around this time...your these little things you say bring a smile to my face when I read them.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:48 pm

It's not as much of a gift as you think, it's basically an avoidance technique. Can't take anything too seriously if there's a quip attached to it.

Liam, punslinger.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:59 pm

I already look forward to your signature signatures. Don't change a thing about 'em.

I'm sorry about how your second-first night went. Hang in there.

Nick Danger

Post by Nick Danger » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:00 pm

Welcome back, Liam. Sorry you need to be here, but glad you are. Rumor has it that CPAP therapy will also help you stop referring to yourself using the third person

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:04 pm

Yes, but then it might be second person, and that would be nearly unreadable.

-You, thinking this is really weird.

Nick Danger

Post by Nick Danger » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:05 pm

Liam1965 wrote:Yes, but then it might be second person, and that would be nearly unreadable.

Me - a psychologist - I'm used to it.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:22 pm

Nick Danger wrote:
Liam1965 wrote:Yes, but then it might be second person, and that would be nearly unreadable.

Me - a psychologist - I'm used to it.
Me too -- another psychologist. We're drawn to it.

SleepDisturbed

Post by SleepDisturbed » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:59 pm

Psychologists!!! Yikes!

(Me, searching for a defense mechanism -- lets see, Repression, denial, Projection, Displacement, Regression, Sublimation?

Hey Sigmund, some help over here? I feel conflicted!)

What I lack in verbosity, I make up in brevity.

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:55 am

SleepDisturbed wrote:Psychologists!!! Yikes!

(Me, searching for a defense mechanism -- lets see, Repression, denial, Projection, Displacement, Regression, Sublimation?

Hey Sigmund, some help over here? I feel conflicted!)
SleepDisturbed,

I was laughing so hard at your post last night that I think I woke up my neighbor. Thanks for providing this.

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:20 am

Hi Liam,

I wanted to wish you all the best with your endeavors. I just posted about having a successful night after struggling with pap therapy for over 3 years. So hopefully, you will feel encouraged reading that.

By the way, when I used to search the archives, I would come upon your old posts alot and related alot to what you said. So I was quite happy when you rejoined the forum.

Best of luck.

49er

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:12 am

Why thanks!

So, here's where I think I stand right now: It feels as though I'm getting a lot of my own breath back when I inhale, rather than new air.

My machine is supposed to be set at a pressure of 10, but a lot of the times even when it says it's delivering that, it feels like it's much lower (and I don't mean the ramp, when it's on the ramp up, it tells me it's delivering a lower pressure). But even when it says it's delivering 10, it feels like it's still on ramp mode sometimes, and feels as though I'm breathing my own breath back in again and as though there is not sufficient oxygen in the air I inhale.

I also noticed in the middle of the night last night, something about using the thing had me mouth breathing and so my night/morning breath was WAY worse than usual... and if I breathed out through my mouth and breathed back in through my nose, most of what I breathed back in smelled like my morning breath, which also seems to indicate that my exhalations are going up the tube and coming back to me, rather than going out the exhaust port.

Not sure how to deal with that, but it does lead to a very "smothering" feel to the whole experience.

Liam, who has broken up with many partners prior to his current CPAP partner over their smothering tendencies...

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:33 am

I don't know if I am addressing your concerns but I know prior to my septoplasty, I felt like I was not getting enough air even at close to 14/10 pressure. Since if I remember correctly, you mentioned nasal issues, could that be an issue for you? Otherwise, I will let more technically oriented folks respond.

49er
Liam1965 wrote:Why thanks!

So, here's where I think I stand right now: It feels as though I'm getting a lot of my own breath back when I inhale, rather than new air.

My machine is supposed to be set at a pressure of 10, but a lot of the times even when it says it's delivering that, it feels like it's much lower (and I don't mean the ramp, when it's on the ramp up, it tells me it's delivering a lower pressure). But even when it says it's delivering 10, it feels like it's still on ramp mode sometimes, and feels as though I'm breathing my own breath back in again and as though there is not sufficient oxygen in the air I inhale.

I also noticed in the middle of the night last night, something about using the thing had me mouth breathing and so my night/morning breath was WAY worse than usual... and if I breathed out through my mouth and breathed back in through my nose, most of what I breathed back in smelled like my morning breath, which also seems to indicate that my exhalations are going up the tube and coming back to me, rather than going out the exhaust port.

Not sure how to deal with that, but it does lead to a very "smothering" feel to the whole experience.

Liam, who has broken up with many partners prior to his current CPAP partner over their smothering tendencies...

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:39 am

Thanks for the thought, but that feels different, in that mouth breathing usually solves that issue, if I'm having congestion problems.

This feeling of re-breathing stale air comes during the ramp up at lower pressure (which it seems from this board may be common), then gets better when I hit full pressure, but then periodically it feels like the pressure drops back to 4, even though it's reporting 10, and the re breathing problem recurs.

I'm wondering if I have a defective unit.

Liam, who should speak to his doctor about his defective unit.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:00 am

Liam1965 wrote:Thanks for the thought, but that feels different, in that mouth breathing usually solves that issue, if I'm having congestion problems.

This feeling of re-breathing stale air comes during the ramp up at lower pressure (which it seems from this board may be common), then gets better when I hit full pressure, but then periodically it feels like the pressure drops back to 4, even though it's reporting 10, and the re breathing problem recurs.

I'm wondering if I have a defective unit.

Liam, who should speak to his doctor about his defective unit.
put your hand over (not blocking) the exhaust port, you should be able to feel more air coming out at 10 than when you start the ramp. also, depending on what setting you have a heated hose at, you should be able to feel a temperature change with hotter air coming out when you exhale, then it cools down as your breath is all flushed out.

I can feel a rising/falling temperature when I put my hand by my mask vent, and all the warmer air is gone before I start to take the next breath.

also, it's easy enough to rig up a home made manometer... poking around the forum, or google, you can find examples people have created especially easy if your mask happens to have an oxygen port (many full face masks do)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.