Hubby off for his first sleep study

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
yaconsult

Re: Hubby off for his first sleep study

Post by yaconsult » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:05 pm

That is excellent news! At least now he knows that he needs help with his breathing while he's sleeping.

Please check the links at the very top of the board for many posts useful to those with a new cpap diagnosis. You especially want to try to get an auto-adjusting cpap machine that is compatible with the wonderful, free, SleepyHead software so that you can monitor the data and see how he's doing. Since you're already an experienced cpap user, this part should be easy.

I am sure that apnea was a major contributor to my heart problems and I had dire complications after a valve replacement. Everything that could go wrong, did - including severe afib. They had me on Amiodarone for years and it is known to have serious side effects. So when I unexpectedly survived several more years, they convinced me that I would be better off having a defib implant and getting off the drug. I'm on the second implant now - the battery in the first one lasted 5 years. It paces my heart when it needs to, but so far, it has never needed to shock me.

Keep us updated on hubby's progress, please. If he runs into any issues or problems, ask and someone can usually help. He's already a big jump ahead by having another cpaper in the house.

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Sun May 03, 2015 9:33 pm

yaconsult wrote:That is excellent news! At least now he knows that he needs help with his breathing while he's sleeping.

Please check the links at the very top of the board for many posts useful to those with a new cpap diagnosis. You especially want to try to get an auto-adjusting cpap machine that is compatible with the wonderful, free, SleepyHead software so that you can monitor the data and see how he's doing. Since you're already an experienced cpap user, this part should be easy.

I am sure that apnea was a major contributor to my heart problems and I had dire complications after a valve replacement. Everything that could go wrong, did - including severe afib. They had me on Amiodarone for years and it is known to have serious side effects. So when I unexpectedly survived several more years, they convinced me that I would be better off having a defib implant and getting off the drug. I'm on the second implant now - the battery in the first one lasted 5 years. It paces my heart when it needs to, but so far, it has never needed to shock me.

Keep us updated on hubby's progress, please. If he runs into any issues or problems, ask and someone can usually help. He's already a big jump ahead by having another cpaper in the house.
Thank you! Sorry to take so long to answer, was at a conference. The sleep doc said the 3 centrals were nothing to worry about. She said it was borderline whether he needed CPAP with 15 AHI, but because of his a-fib she would prescribe it, might help. Then she said it would take a few weeks to get it. Seems like a long time. I can't recall how long mine took.
ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet
Mask: ResMed N30i with cushion

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Tue May 05, 2015 9:09 pm

The sleep doc said the 3 centrals were nothing to worry about. She said it was borderline whether he needed CPAP with 15 AHI, but because of his a-fib she would prescribe it, might help.
I wonder why she said it was 'borderline'? That is considered mild sleep apnea, not borderline.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)