[Poll] Do you use anything to help keep your mouth closed?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Do you use anything to help keep your mouth closed when sleeping?

I don't use anything to keep my mouth closed - it doesn't seem to be necessary.
35%
I use a full face, total face, oral, or hybrid mask and this isn't a problem for me.
13%
I don't use anything to keep my mouth closed, but I probably should.
9%
I use a purchased chinstrap to keep my mouth closed.
17%
I use a homemade chinstrap (ace bandage, etc.) to keep my mouth closed.
2%
I use tape to keep my mouth closed.
18%
I use a cervical or other type of neck collar to keep my mouth closed.
2%
I use something else that isn't listed above and will add it in a reply.
4%

Total votes: 114

yaconsult

[Poll] Do you use anything to help keep your mouth closed?

Post by yaconsult » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:40 am

I thought that this might make an interesting poll.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: [Poll] Do you use anything to help keep your mouth closed?

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:45 am

Tape, because every single chinstrap I've ever tried gives me a headache--immediately!

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:30 am

Don't seem to need anything, but I also work on my tongue position (on the roof of my mouth, up near my front teeth). Since I'm sleeping when it matters, I don't know if it's my tongue position or that I just keep my mouth closed that prevents mouth breathing. One could record oneself sleeping, but I'm not interested enough to do that *smile*.

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:39 am

I use tape and a chinstrap.

I instituted the tape a week or two ago. Until that time it was just a chinstrap, but I also insert an OTC 'NightGuard' whatever in my mouth, chinstrap/tape or not.

Not sure what response I should select.
Machine - https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmart ... ducts.html
Setting: APAP, 10.5-14cm
Software: Proprietary
Mask- PR Wisp nasal (large); ResMed FX Nasal (wide);
Oximeter: CMS50D+

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:42 am

After the first week of occasional chipmunk cheeks, I learned to keep my tongue on the roof of my mouth and no longer need anything.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:50 am

tedburnsIII wrote:I use tape and a chinstrap.

I instituted the tape a week or two ago. Until that time it was just a chinstrap, but I also insert an OTC 'NightGuard' whatever in my mouth, chinstrap/tape or not.

I would say "something else" would be the right choice and you've already explained it well.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:03 pm

I just don't get the whole tongue thing, because my tongue doesn't prevent any air from getting out of my mouth.

it's all in the back of my throat as to where the air goes, I can easily breath through clenched teeth, I can open my mouth wide and stick my tongue out and no air comes out when I've got the cpap on my nose...

I can have the cpap on and breath in and out through my mouth, or I can open my mouth and breath through my nose, ... I have to make a conscious effort to have air go in my nose and out my mouth from the cpap.

I like the p10 because I can reach over and get a sip of drink through a straw, if I'm thirsty. (not a dry mouth, just thirsty).

mind you, I'm not saying anybody is wrong or whatever, but tongue position has nothing to do with it, for me.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:17 pm

palerider wrote:I just don't get the whole tongue thing, because my tongue doesn't prevent any air from getting out of my mouth.

it's all in the back of my throat as to where the air goes, I can easily breath through clenched teeth, I can open my mouth wide and stick my tongue out and no air comes out when I've got the cpap on my nose...

I can have the cpap on and breath in and out through my mouth, or I can open my mouth and breath through my nose, ... I have to make a conscious effort to have air go in my nose and out my mouth from the cpap.

I like the p10 because I can reach over and get a sip of drink through a straw, if I'm thirsty. (not a dry mouth, just thirsty).

mind you, I'm not saying anybody is wrong or whatever, but tongue position has nothing to do with it, for me.
For me I think it was learning to control the air and not fight against it. I also now can open my mouth and stick out my tongue with the air remaining where it belongs. Haven't tried the straw sip yet. I can breath with my tongue down now without air filling my mouth but the natural position for my tongue is at the roof.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:46 pm

Yes, with my tongue on the roof of my mouth, I can open my mouth with the cpap and mask on, and no air comes out. If I put my tongue on the bottom of my mouth, a gale ensues.

I think it most likely has to do with having a narrow airway, the same reason that I'm using cpap *smile*.

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:42 pm

OkyDoky wrote:After the first week of occasional chipmunk cheeks, I learned to keep my tongue on the roof of my mouth and no longer need anything.
Thanks, I will try it. Maybe I can rid myself of the NightGuard, but will continue to tape my big mouth shut! And will continue use of chinstrap for now.

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:43 pm

yaconsult wrote:
tedburnsIII wrote:I use tape and a chinstrap.

I would say "something else" would be the right choice and you've already explained it well.
Okay, will vote the same.

Tassie Devil

Post by Tassie Devil » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:23 pm

My first encounter with a nasal mask was soon abandoned because my mouth came open during the night.

So I purchased a chin strap but it drove me nuts. It made the ritual of retirement unacceptable as it took ages and ultimately made my head uncomfortably hot with all those straps around it. I reverted to the full face mask until I spotted this nasal unit - Mirage Activa™ Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear. I chose the large size and it is not only comfortable but appears to put light pressure on my upper jaw which stops my mouth opening.

tazman

Post by tazman » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:00 pm

palerider wrote:I just don't get the whole tongue thing, because my tongue doesn't prevent any air from getting out of my mouth.

For me if I open my mouth before I fall asleep the air does not come out but once I fall asleep and everything is relaxed if I open my mouth the air comes out so I have to wear a chin strap.

SleepDisturbed

Post by SleepDisturbed » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:22 pm

Yes, my girlfriend, The Recently Retired Amazon. She has very sharp elbows.

Oh wait -- that wasn't what you had in mind was it?

Sorry. Nevermind.

What I lack in verbosity, I make up in brevity.

Kitano

Post by Kitano » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:56 pm

I have had zero leaks for over 2years using cervical collar.