Do you think I have sleep apnea?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
robysue

Re: Do you think I have sleep apnea?

Post by robysue » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:19 pm

Guest wrote:Thanks guys. I think I should see my doctor and get a Sleep apnea test done. I mean why should I put this off? And what do I tell the doctor?
You tell him you want a sleep test because you are worried that you have obstructive sleep apnea. And that you are experiencing symptoms that point to OSA. And that you know you have multiple risk factors for OSA, including the fact that you are overweight. And that you know OSA is a serious, but manageable condition. Hence, if you have it, you want to know about it so that you can start treating it.
If I already know he's just gonna look at my numbers and tell me to lose 30 pounds, do I bring up the fact I'm already working out really hard and eating healthy?
If you tell the doc you want a sleep test because you think you might have OSA and all the doc says is "Lose some weight", then politely but firmly tell the doc that you know you need to lose some weight, but that you also know losing weight is NOT likely to "fix" moderate-to-severe OSA. And reiterate you want a sleep test because your sleep is crappy and you have multiple risk factors for OSA and you have identifiable symptoms of OSA.

If the doc still won't refer you for a sleep test, then you need a new doc. Seriously.

Do I tell him that BEFORE he suggests that? I don't know where to start, it's a monumental thing to go to the doctor about this, it's a phobia. But then again it's my life. It's serious. But I am also apprehensive about the fact I'm so used to blood tests saying I'm fine. I will flip out if the sleep apnea test says I sleep really well when in fact that couldn't be further from the truth.
The chances of a false negative on a sleep apnea test are NOT that great unless your OSA is very, very mild (i.e your untreated AHI is barely above 5.0). If you have OSA, then it shows up every time you fall asleep whether you remember it or not.
What if I sleep well that one day and the test says I'm doing good when that was like the best sleeping night in years? For instance I woke up today and actually feel better than 9 out of 10 times. Still not great, but less bad.
You're actually worried that you're going to get the best night sleep in years when you're sleeping in a strange place with wires attached to your head, your nose, your chest, your legs, and your finger and belts around your chest and abdomen?

The usual (and valid) worry is: Will I get any sleep at all? But most of us do. And a diagnosis of OSA can be made with as little as 2 hours of highly fractured sleep in a six to eight hour "Time in Bed" window.

Or---you could ask about home sleep tests. They're cheaper, but less accurate since less data is gathered. But you're also sleeping in your own bed and that tends to make you sleep more "normally" than the first night of sleeping in a sleep lab.
But here is the thing. I am nervous to talk to my doctor about this. I'm partially embarrassed and don't want to seem like a failure when I tell him I try so hard and it's not my fault. In the past, doctors used to tell me it was all about just living a healthy lifestyle but I never knew it might be apnea. I'm in my late twenties.
Don't mention the weight. Don't talk about the exercise. Make the appointment and tell the receptionist you want to speak to the doctor about requesting a sleep test. And when you see the doctor and you have a chance to speak, start with: I'm here because I think I may have obstructive sleep apnea and I'd like to get a sleep test done.

If the doc asks, "Why?" tell him the quality of your sleep is lousy and you've read enough about OSA to know that you have several risk factors (including your weight and neck size) and that you are experiencing several of the common symptoms of OSA (including waking up feeling like you're choking and your daytime fatigue).

If the doc suggests just losing the weight, tell him you're doing all you can, but you're tired and exhausted all the time and that while you know you need to lose weight, you also need to find out whether you have OSA. You might also point out that people with moderate-to-severe OSA have a difficult time losing weight until the OSA is treated with CPAP.

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:06 pm

Well thanks people. I made an appointment and and am scheduled to see the doctor next week. I figured why wait and put it off when there is a chance I can get better now? I'm gonna have to go eventually anyways, so might as well make it now.

I really am hoping that they can find out something I don't know. I'm so used to tests telling me I'm fine.

So how can CPAP help with weight loss if you're already putting in my hours and sessions? Does it make you work out harder and more efficiently? Or does it raise metabolism... Does sleep apnea slow metabolism? Or does it just change your appetite. I've always believed that weight loss/gain was all about hard work and just counting calories. But now I'm starting to suspect that there can be more to the story. However, some people on here said they didn't lose weight with CPAP.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:41 pm

There's definitely more to it, not the least of which is that too many people work out so hard they're starving afterward, so go and pig out! Seriously. But... why don't you Google two things you may never have heard of... and see what you find - one is 'leptin' and the other ''ghrelin + sleep'. Have fun!

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:26 pm

Julie wrote:There's definitely more to it, not the least of which is that too many people work out so hard they're starving afterward, so go and pig out! Seriously. But... why don't you Google two things you may never have heard of... and see what you find - one is 'leptin' and the other ''ghrelin + sleep'. Have fun!

I do know about leptin. I'll google the other one. My question is, does sleep apnea throw off leptin levels?
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier
- Allergy Shots + nose Spray + Hepa Air Purifier
- Cardiovascular Exercise + Stretching

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:19 pm

I would suggest you have a doctor prescribe a pill to help you sleep in case you need it during the study. Better to be preventative than to risk not sleeping and needing to repeat the study. As far as appetite, I can't explain the science behind the appetite hormones. I can say when one is sleep deprived there can be a desire to eat more and more often. I think it's the body/brain desperately trying to keep fueled when it runs out of energy. Once one is not sleep deprived, there shouldn't be so many moments of craving because of low energy. Or mindless eating just to keep moving.

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:08 pm

Guest wrote:Well thanks people. I made an appointment and and am scheduled to see the doctor next week. I figured why wait and put it off when there is a chance I can get better now? I'm gonna have to go eventually anyways, so might as well make it now.

I really am hoping that they can find out something I don't know. I'm so used to tests telling me I'm fine.

So how can CPAP help with weight loss if you're already putting in my hours and sessions? Does it make you work out harder and more efficiently? Or does it raise metabolism... Does sleep apnea slow metabolism? Or does it just change your appetite. I've always believed that weight loss/gain was all about hard work and just counting calories. But now I'm starting to suspect that there can be more to the story. However, some people on here said they didn't lose weight with CPAP.
I will share with you what my Neurologist told me. She said if you are not breathing and sleeping at the same time you are putting your whole body under stress. This stress occurs when your oxygen level drops for long periods of time. This causes the stress hormones to kick in. Stress hormones such as cortisol and epinephrine are released by the body in situations that are interpreted as being potentially dangerous. Cortisol is believed to affect the metabolic system and epinephrine is believed to play a role in ADHD as well as depression and hypertension. Stress hormones act by mobilizing energy from storage to muscles, increasing heart rate, blood pressure and breathing rate and shutting down metabolic processes such as digestion, reproduction, growth and immunity. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_hormone

I hope this answers your questions or at least puts on the right track. Like the others have told you do get your sleep study and find out for sure.

I wish you well...

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:17 am

kteague wrote:I would suggest you have a doctor prescribe a pill to help you sleep in case you need it during the study. Better to be preventative than to risk not sleeping and needing to repeat the study. As far as appetite, I can't explain the science behind the appetite hormones. I can say when one is sleep deprived there can be a desire to eat more and more often. I think it's the body/brain desperately trying to keep fueled when it runs out of energy. Once one is not sleep deprived, there shouldn't be so many moments of craving because of low energy. Or mindless eating just to keep moving.

Oh okay. I thought you meant for everyday. I don't think that's a good idea because then I would have no energy with a pill that knocks me out. But okay for 1 night. But will that pill change the test results?
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier
- Allergy Shots + nose Spray + Hepa Air Purifier
- Cardiovascular Exercise + Stretching

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:45 am

Enchanter wrote:
kteague wrote:I would suggest you have a doctor prescribe a pill to help you sleep in case you need it during the study. Better to be preventative than to risk not sleeping and needing to repeat the study. As far as appetite, I can't explain the science behind the appetite hormones. I can say when one is sleep deprived there can be a desire to eat more and more often. I think it's the body/brain desperately trying to keep fueled when it runs out of energy. Once one is not sleep deprived, there shouldn't be so many moments of craving because of low energy. Or mindless eating just to keep moving.

Oh okay. I thought you meant for everyday. I don't think that's a good idea because then I would have no energy with a pill that knocks me out. But okay for 1 night. But will that pill change the test results?
Just catching up with your threads -- doctor would normally prescribe a medication for a sleep study that has a short half-life, meaning it's active in your system only for a short time, so it can help you fall asleep but most of the night the medication will not be having a significant effect on the results.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:03 am

Enchanter - you do the research... we've all done our own!

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:38 pm

Julie wrote:Enchanter - you do the research... we've all done our own!

Julie, I'm researching everyday and have been looking online for years... Finally I've considered apnea and have been researching. I joined this forum to help support me and I am seeing the doctor next week. I'm scared though. Because I'm used to tests saying things are fine. What if the tests show my numbers are still fine?

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:49 pm

Then your doctor will have to do testing for other possibilities.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:16 pm

Enchanter, I understand and have compassion for your anxiety. Anxiety often drives people to spinning, hard-to-control thoughts, questions and worries -- and the relentless pursuit of information or answers that could put the concerns to rest. Instead, every piece of information leads to yet more questions -- like your question about falling asleep for a sleep study and after learning that medication is often used, then comes the question about whether the medication can mess with the results of the study... I am not feeling critical of you and I'm not irritated by your questions, I just wanted to suggest that you take a step back for a second and see the pattern I'm seeing. Anxiety "looks" for something to attach itself to, and there is always something available. It drives the thought process if you let it. This is not just you, this is anyone who suffers from anxiety.

Truthfully there are no answers we can give you that will get you any closer to knowing whether you have sleep apnea. Only a sleep study can provide an answer. And since you have set things in motion by scheduling a visit with your doctor next week, could you now turn your focus to anxiety management? Like practicing those things you already know ease your anxiety -- like exercise, meditation, music, yoga, seeing friends, whatever it is for you. Of course you are welcome to stay in dialogue with us here and we will want to know the outcome of your appointment next week. I just think it will be more helpful for you at this point to find ways to help you wait out the period of time until your appointment, rather than just letting your anxiety drive your thoughts and continue to ramp up.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:36 pm

kaiasgram wrote:Enchanter, I understand and have compassion for your anxiety. Anxiety often drives people to spinning, hard-to-control thoughts, questions and worries -- and the relentless pursuit of information or answers that could put the concerns to rest. Instead, every piece of information leads to yet more questions -- like your question about falling asleep for a sleep study and after learning that medication is often used, then comes the question about whether the medication can mess with the results of the study... I am not feeling critical of you and I'm not irritated by your questions, I just wanted to suggest that you take a step back for a second and see the pattern I'm seeing. Anxiety "looks" for something to attach itself to, and there is always something available. It drives the thought process if you let it. This is not just you, this is anyone who suffers from anxiety.

Truthfully there are no answers we can give you that will get you any closer to knowing whether you have sleep apnea. Only a sleep study can provide an answer. And since you have set things in motion by scheduling a visit with your doctor next week, could you now turn your focus to anxiety management? Like practicing those things you already know ease your anxiety -- like exercise, meditation, music, yoga, seeing friends, whatever it is for you. Of course you are welcome to stay in dialogue with us here and we will want to know the outcome of your appointment next week. I just think it will be more helpful for you at this point to find ways to help you wait out the period of time until your appointment, rather than just letting your anxiety drive your thoughts and continue to ramp up.

Sure, anxiety can occur. I've had anxiety. But at the same time, my condition is not just anxiety. I know that. As a matter of fact, if I were to get treated, I think my anxiety would reduce.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:08 pm

Guest wrote:Sure, anxiety can occur. I've had anxiety. But at the same time, my condition is not just anxiety. I know that. As a matter of fact, if I were to get treated, I think my anxiety would reduce.
I wasn't suggesting that your condition is just anxiety. Not at all. Just suggesting that since you've done what you can do for now (getting an appointment set up), trying to focus on anxiety management rather than on the worries and thoughts that your anxiety is fueling, might be more helpful to you while you're waiting to see the doctor.

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:25 pm

Those who struggle with anxiety are likely used to their medical professionals blaming everything on their anxiety rather than investigate for a physical issue. People with sleep apnea often have had the same experience - doctors blaming their issues on everything else instead of sending them for a sleep test. I found kaiasgram's words on anxiety very insightful and certainly helped me understand how it behaves. Priceless. I have a friend whose anxiety spirals out of control from time to time, and when she realizes she's "going there" she has to make very intentional efforts to halt the spiral. I'm impressed that most of the time now she is able to implement the techniques she's been taught and rein in the runaway worries. That's what was suggested to you. It was never said or even implied your issue is just anxiety. There were simply suggestions to help you get through this waiting period. Hopefully you can take that step back as was suggested. Otherwise it's going to be a very long week. Wishing you the best.

Last edited by kteague on Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.