Back On The Machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
StephenR

Re: Back On The Machine

Post by StephenR » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:28 pm

After 5 nights on the new machine, and the admission from the tech that I have "Centrals", I am thinking of getting a used VPAP machine as it seems the medical system here in Canada is content to let me suffer.

Any suggestions for machines would be appreciated

I am getting a little desperate and my already sick wife who I caregive for does not need the stress of watching me suffer more...

Stephen

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:49 pm

The ResMed S9 Adapt would be what I would look at for used....preferably the model 36037 but the slightly older 36007 (like I have would work).

Check out secondwindcpap.com
and make sure it says VPAP Adapt SV....don't confuse it with the VPAP Auto stuff

Edit for clarification...Secondwind has played loosely with the model name description and what they show is not exactly how the model names really go...the machines don't show SV but Secondwind shows it...I mention it so that you know which machine I am talking about at their website.

Right now I see a model (REF) 36007 with humidifier for $1049 and a model (REF) 36037 with humidifier for $1249
The 36037 has an additional auto EPAP function the 36007 doesn't have...it may or may not be a big deal for you.

Too bad you weren't around Sat AM...there were a couple for sale brand new from a forum member for $500.

That said...I know someone who bought one of those machines and if things work out like I think they are going to work out then I think there will be a low hour used PR S1 model 960 available and it does the same thing as the 36037 does.
I don't know the price yet but I am sure well under $1000.
Send me a private message for more details.
And anyone wondering...no it isn't me.

You are going to need either the Respironics 950/960 or the ResMed 36007/36037.
ResMed makes a newer model but finding a used one would be very difficult and very expensive.

Last edited by Pugsy on Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

StephenR

Post by StephenR » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:10 pm

Thanks Pugsy..

Tomorrow I will ask the tech at the DME if they have an ASV I can try, if not I will pursue buying one...enough of this already...

Stephen

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:58 pm

Pugsy wrote:and make sure it says VPAP Adapt SV....don't confuse it with the VPAP Auto stuff
the S9 does NOT say "SV" *waggles finger*

all it says is "VPAP Adapt".

the SV was in the s8 line.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:13 pm

palerider wrote: the S9 does NOT say "SV" *waggles finger*

I should have clarified...that comment was for Secondwind shopping...they have SV showing in their listings by the Adapt name and I have already had a case where a person in Australia got the wrong machine because he got confused with the model names that Secondwind posts. I know that technically the model names they show are not correct but someone not knowing all the exact terminology could easily get confused.
The guy in Australia ordered the wrong one...it was his fault but I felt bad because I maybe hadn't been clear enough with what I told him to get because I used the "correct" model name.
Secondwind was really nice about the mistake and took care of the error and was really nice about it but I just wanted to make sure that the chance of that happening again was reduced...especially since Stephen is out of the US also.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:23 pm

Pugsy wrote:
palerider wrote: the S9 does NOT say "SV" *waggles finger*

I should have clarified...that comment was for Secondwind shopping...they have SV showing in their listings by the Adapt name and I have already had a case where a person in Australia got the wrong machine because he got confused with the model names that Secondwind posts.
*goes off to grumble at secondwind then*

always best to shop by model number (36007 or 36037) anyway

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:36 pm

palerider wrote:always best to shop by model number (36007 or 36037) anyway
Very true and that's why I mentioned the model numbers but I mentioned them to the guy in Australia too and he still ordered the wrong one. Sigh....but in his defense back then the model numbers weren't routinely shown like they are now. They didn't always update the posted items promptly but after that little problem the model numbers started showing up more prominently so I guess they learned a lesson too.

StephenR

Post by StephenR » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:30 pm

oh boy...

talked with the sleep tech this morning...not good

Yes they carry ASV machines, no I can't try one without a prescription...he asked me if I had not had a sleep study, and I said yes, but no centrals...only get those on the machine.
He then back tracked his saying I had centrals by stating the machines are not that smart...that only a titrated sleep study will be able to tell...
OK, so I get to wait 4 months...my wife is furious and is threatening to cart me off to the doctors with laptop in hand...lol

I can't buy a machine without a prescription, unless its a private deal, so I am stuck in Apnea hell for a while...

one breath at a time...

Stephen

StephenR

Post by StephenR » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:35 am

Started another thread, but realize should have put last night's experience here..

lower pressure, 8cm...used Oximeter, got rained out after 4 hours..
I am thinking these are not centrals, they are my physical reaction to pressure...

[img][IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e22/s ... 9virjy.jpg[/img][/img]

Stephen
Last edited by StephenR on Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nick Danger

Post by Nick Danger » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:33 pm

I think they probably are CAs. The DME rep is right, the machines aren't perfect. But their primary failing is that they can't determine whether you are awake or asleep - and they sometimes count normal awake or semi-awake breathing patterns as CAs - sleep labs don't have that problem because they also run an EEG and can tell whether you are awake or asleep. That doesn't look like what is happening with you. When the problem is the waking breathing pattern, the CAs are usually clustered pretty tightly at the beginnings and end of the night, not spread out over the entire night as yours are. Though it is possible you are half-waking every 45 minutes or so.

If you do have an issue with pressure induced centrals, then the sleep study with the cpap is really important. I'm sorry it is a 4 month wait.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:08 pm

Is it me or my sucky internet but if I go to the last link I get "sorry things have been moved" and when I went to your other albums I couldn't find last night's data.

You know there is always the chance that if these are indeed pressure triggered centrals that they might go away with time as the body gets adjusted to the therapy. It wouldn't be impossible.

What did the pulse ox show? Any time below 88 to 90 % when centrals cluster?

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:14 pm

Pugsy wrote:Is it me or my sucky internet but if I go to the last link I get "sorry things have been moved" and when I went to your other albums I couldn't find last night's data.
It's not just you. I get the same message. I saw it in his other post along with Nick Danger but I tried there also and it is the same.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

StephenR

Post by StephenR » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:36 pm

Pugsy wrote:Is it me or my sucky internet but if I go to the last link I get "sorry things have been moved" and when I went to your other albums I couldn't find last night's data.

You know there is always the chance that if these are indeed pressure triggered centrals that they might go away with time as the body gets adjusted to the therapy. It wouldn't be impossible.

What did the pulse ox show? Any time below 88 to 90 % when centrals cluster?
Fixed the image...

[img][IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e22/s ... 9virjy.jpg[/img][/img]

this was my afternoon nap:
[img][IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e22/s ... 4q31ep.jpg[/img][/img]

Last year I was on cpap for 3 months, they got worse...

Stephen

StephenR

Post by StephenR » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:10 pm

I am beginning to consider that I may have sleep issues not related to apneas, that show up as events on the software...but I am sleep depraved so will wait until I can get good testing. The more reading and data I get the more it seems that there is something going on while I sleep that is disturbing the breath...

Stephen

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:15 pm

Sorry for the post as guest. I can't find my password at the moment.

Disclaimer: I am a reasonably frequent lurker, but not a frequent poster, at all. I am also new to really trying to use CPAP (after several failed attempts in the past), so I don't have a ton of experience.

That having been said, I was having a decent number of centrals and switching from nasal pillows to a full face mask pretty much eliminated them entirely. I've also read on posts on this forum that people with complex sleep apnea tend to do better with full face masks. I've read that it has something to do with the extra CO2 that is not fully flushed from the mask. I think trying a full face mask might be a easier place to start. Just a thought...

-mlg123

PR APAP with humidifier and heated hose, used in CPAP mode, pressure 7, no flex
Airfit F10 FFMask
Sleepyhead software, <3