Sex and cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sleeprider

Re: Sex and cpap

Post by Sleeprider » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:34 pm

I use a CPAP at night. That's all you need to say. With that said, if things start early before you put it on it's not an issue. If things start in the morning, then set the auto-off function, or turn it off, and again, it's a non-issue. Life goes on, and CPAP has its advantages.

FWIW most guys have seen their friends using CPAP and are well aware of it. Beats the hell out of keeping him awake with your snoring and irregular breathing. And really, when a guy sees a girl in bed, it's like, "What CPAP"?

Starlette

Post by Starlette » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:41 am

Totally agree with you Sleeprider!

The CPAP really isn't a deal breaker. Let's be real about it (chuckles). We all have a certain ways to indicate "we are in the mood ".
All you do is take off the mask and turn off the machine. Simple as that. Just because the mask is on doesn't mean it "has" to stay on till the next day.
Never been a problem with me and Hubbs. By the way, did I make mention that you remove/turn off CPAP ASAP?! (chessy grin)

Also, I like what the other have said regarding the introduction.

Starlette

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:45 am

Starlette wrote:Totally agree with you Sleeprider!

The CPAP really isn't a deal breaker. Let's be real about it (chuckles). We all have a certain ways to indicate "we are in the mood ".
All you do is take off the mask and turn off the machine. Simple as that. Just because the mask is on doesn't mean it "has" to stay on till the next day.
Never been a problem with me and Hubbs. By the way, did I make mention that you remove/turn off CPAP ASAP?! (chessy grin)

Also, I like what the other have said regarding the introduction.

Starlette

She's not married to him, they barely know each other, and no for guys it's totally different. Ask one.

It's a mood killer, to put it mildly. Period.

Go to the door wearing a mask and that's the image he'll have stuck in his mind. Not good. Once married its different because you are stuck with each other. Not this situation.

Hi, here's my colostomy bag, isn't it cute, want to go upstairs? Ughhhhh

AMK

Post by AMK » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:49 pm

I don't see why apnea and/or cpap couldn't come up in conversation somehow naturally prior to the big event. It's not that odd to have a health issue. I think if you're comfortable enough to get naked with someone then you should be comfortable enough to mention the cpap beforehand without making a big deal out of it. There's this romantic fairy tale about two people who just fall into bed together and everything's magic, but real life is more complicated for a lot of people. Some people have herpes, for instance, or have lost a lot of weight and have loose skin, or they've had cancer. And yeah, hyperlexis, some people have colostomy bags. You don't speak for all guys, but you do speak for a certain type of guy, and having a health issue is a good way to weed those types out.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:54 pm

hyperlexis wrote:
That should also make it a potential relationship killer - all the good. Who wants to be hooked up to someone who considers your health less important then him getting it on?

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:24 pm

For the most appropriate mask for the situation I would suggest the sleepwear Élan in leopard.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:17 pm

I have considered hanging fringe on my P10. q

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:29 pm

hyperlexis wrote: She's not married to him, they barely know each other, and no for guys it's totally different. Ask one.

Go to the door wearing a mask and that's the image he'll have stuck in his mind. Not good. Once married its different because you are stuck with each other. Not this situation.

Hi, here's my colostomy bag, isn't it cute, want to go upstairs? Ughhhhh
I totally disagree with your conclusions and false analogies. Seriously, a colostomy bag? Going to the door with a mask on? Get a grip. We're not even talking about running around the house in curlers and a housecoat.

My daughter was dating a guy who desperately needed CPAP. The treatment would have been much less of a turn-off to her than the falling asleep at movies, on the sofa, snorting, snoring gasping and other problems that come from no treatment. She even gave him an old unit of mine to try out. A woman using a CPAP machine does not lose her allure, sexiness and personality as a result of doing this any more than I expect that she will wake up perfect with makeup and arranged hair in the morning.

Presumably, by this stage of the game, a relationship has been developed on shared interests, mutual attraction and other factors. Is CPAP a deal breaker? If I go with your ideas, I would call CPAP a great screening device for shallow people. Like all things in a relationship, it is a part of the whole. For most, it's a minor part. If not, then it's good to get it out of the way early because it isn't changing.

Pesser

Post by Pesser » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:02 pm

This thread has over 800 hits. Putting "sex" in the title gets attention.

PST

Post by PST » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:52 pm

I have been through this process myself since going on CPAP, and it really didn't seem like a big deal. I don't know how old Barbslife is, but many of us here are in our 50s or 60s, and by that time everyone has a little wear and tear of some kind. Frankly, when I think of everything that made me feel self-conscious about new romance after being out of the game for a few decades, CPAP was down the list quite a bit. It turned out her ex-husband used one -- which did not add to the allure, but gave it familiarity.We'll be getting married in July. She's grateful I don't snore.

I think I might try to raise the subject other than at bedtime. Sleep apnea is a subject that can easily be worked into the conversation before sleeping together becomes an issue. People talk about their health ("Pretty good except for my pesky sleep apnea"), or their families ("Dad didn't leave me much except red hair and sleep apnea"), or anything really (Would you like me to drive? I don't fall asleep behind the wheel the way I used to before I started treating my sleep apnea").

DeadlySleep

Post by DeadlySleep » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:05 pm

Barbslife wrote:Sex and cpap
I don't see the problem.

Unless you are wearing it on the wrong end of the plumbing??

TechJungle

Post by TechJungle » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:26 am

Barbslife wrote:I have finally met a fantastic man. He wants to spend the night together and so do I but how do I pull out the cpap and not scare him off. Obviously i have to prepare him for it but I dont want to wear it when we are together. What have others done?
Just tell him to think of it as the post coital cigarette for the 21st century!

TechJungle

dream4sleep

Post by dream4sleep » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:55 am

hyperlexis wrote:

She's not married to him, they barely know each other, and no for guys it's totally different. Ask one.

Hi, here's my colostomy bag, isn't it cute, want to go upstairs? Ughhhhh[/quote]

I use my machine every nite. That said, if I began a new relationship and was ready for the next step, you bet I wouldn't wear a mask when I answered the door or in bed. Be real... unless you are seriously ill, not wearing it for a few nights ain't gonna kill ya. After a few successful romps in bed, then you can share your health issues and he will hopefully share his. At that point, if having SA/wearing a mask turns him off... go get another boy toy.

traveling Utz

Post by traveling Utz » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:59 am

It does allow for some of the guessing game to be over..

If she puts the mask on, he will know she is definitely not in the mood!!

Seriously, I still have issues of forgetting to put the mask on at night when my wife is in bed (She works midnights) and a part of me thinks its psychological of her seeing that contraption on my head!

Midnight Strangler

Post by Midnight Strangler » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:27 am

dream4sleep wrote:Hi, here's my colostomy bag, isn't it cute, want to go upstairs? Ughhhhh
Comparing a CPAP mask to a colostomy bag: Strong evidence that idiots are allowed to register and post here.