support research on sleep apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: support research on sleep apnea

Post by palerider » Tue May 05, 2015 7:23 pm

Julie wrote:Oh Den... really? I know you're in one of 'those' states, but...
den doesn't have to care about global warming.... sea level rise? ain't gonna bother him... warmer climate? just less snow. he wins! until everybody fleeing north overruns his freehold.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue May 05, 2015 8:00 pm

palerider wrote:
Julie wrote:Oh Den... really? I know you're in one of 'those' states, but...
den doesn't have to care about global warming.... sea level rise? ain't gonna bother him... warmer climate? just less snow. he wins! until everybody fleeing north overruns his freehold.
But, if the Yellowstone "supervolcano" should erupt in my lifetime, I'll have a ringside seat.........
(Along with those in other surrounding states, too.)

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue May 05, 2015 8:22 pm

But will your machine work sitting in lava?

The Choker

Post by The Choker » Tue May 05, 2015 8:37 pm

Julie wrote:Human ancestor jaw designs may have evolved because of availability of certain food with respect to chewiness, etc. millions of years ago, but at today's point in history/evolution, genetics is what determines our jawlines ...
Julie, You are just totally wrong about this. Regular amounts of sufficient stress to the jawbone during the growing years of a human cause the jaw to grow to the full potential inherent in the genes. This stress typically comes from chewing.

Small amounts of stress to the jawbone will result in less growth than the full potential in the genes. This is not a one generation and done deal. The next generation will inherit genes for normal size jawbones. But again, the size to which the jawbone actually grows is dependent to a great deal on the stress it is put under during the growing years.

I am thinking also about all the broken hips that we get these days. Many lead a sedentary lifestyle and stressors are not put upon the bones that will cause them to be dense and strong - result = hips more likely to fracture.
T.C.

The Choker

Post by The Choker » Tue May 05, 2015 8:39 pm

Wulfman... wrote:You are totally full of equestrian excrement and have no clue what you're talking about!

You are one, dumb SOB.

Den, Who put a bug up your ass today?
T.C.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue May 05, 2015 9:11 pm

The Choker wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:You are totally full of equestrian excrement and have no clue what you're talking about!

You are one, dumb SOB.

Den, Who put a bug up your ass today?
It's not just today. This subject and the way it's been presented is one of those things that's "pushed my button" since it showed up here.

But.......I hope YOU'RE having a nice day.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue May 05, 2015 9:13 pm

Julie wrote:But will your machine work sitting in lava?

I'm sure at that point, I won't care. And, my apnea will be "cured".

Den

User since 05/14/05

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue May 05, 2015 9:19 pm

Broken hips etc. are a result of osteoporosis, which does have lifestyle components such as too much coffee, lack of appropriate exercise, smoking, lack of vegetable calcium (not dairy, which is not processed the same way - and our ancestors did not sit around drinking cows' milk), but a small build is a very important factor as well, and you can't single out lack of exercise alone. Look it up. And I suggest you actually talk to an orthopedic or ENT surgeon about your jaw theories because you might get a surprise. Seriously. Before you spread any more half baked stuff. You're right about density being important... but there's more (and less) to that today that counts - not arguing against the theory, but you can't just isolate one factor.

bmd

Post by bmd » Tue May 05, 2015 10:04 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
The vast majority of "research" money is wasted by stupid people who live off of other peoples' money. "Global Warming" and "Climate Change" are two prime examples. The researchers go into these projects with preconceived notions (like your comments indicate about OSA), so, the data is skewed, falsified and misapplied.

Just keep in mind that if you are happy about the health benefits that can be gained from CPAP therapy, you have research to thank for it. If the previous generation of sleep medicine researchers had not taken up the challenge of understanding sleep apnea and developing a treatment for it, and if funding had not been available to support these research efforts, we would not have CPAP therapy today.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue May 05, 2015 11:08 pm

bmd wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:
The vast majority of "research" money is wasted by stupid people who live off of other peoples' money. "Global Warming" and "Climate Change" are two prime examples. The researchers go into these projects with preconceived notions (like your comments indicate about OSA), so, the data is skewed, falsified and misapplied.

Just keep in mind that if you are happy about the health benefits that can be gained from CPAP therapy, you have research to thank for it. If the previous generation of sleep medicine researchers had not taken up the challenge of understanding sleep apnea and developing a treatment for it, and if funding had not been available to support these research efforts, we would not have CPAP therapy today.
Still doesn't change my opinion that your premise is extremely flawed and meaningless.

http://nhlbistrategicvisioning.ideascal ... 0728-32287

Den

User since 05/14/05

bmd

Post by bmd » Tue May 05, 2015 11:44 pm

When something is controversial, and reasonable people disagree on it, that is precisely when research is needed most, so as to answer the question definitively.

Sclark08

Post by Sclark08 » Wed May 06, 2015 2:40 am

Kudos to you BMD for engaging the conversation. I beleive all points of view have some merit

Sheffey

Post by Sheffey » Wed May 06, 2015 5:45 am

bmd wrote: A large portion of sleep apnea cases are caused by abnormal oro-nasal-maxillo-mandibular features that result in crowding of the upper airway, making it vulnerable to collapsing or restricting air flow during sleep. These malformations are associated with diet during development, but the exact causal mechanisms are not yet well defined.
bmd, You are 100% correct and my case is a very clear example of abnormal oro-nasal-maxillo-mandibular features. I have discussed this with my regular dentist, my ENT, my sleep dentist and my current sleep doctor and they are in full agreement and site this as a very common feature among patients with OSA.

I don't know why you get such a reaction from the ill-informed on this forum, but it does exist and it goes on regularly independent of your posts. Some examples are found here - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=105490&start=0

BTW, there also seems to also be something wrong in oro-nasal-maxillo-mandibular development that has to do with nasal congestion. Allergies during the developing years cause many individuals to spend significant time mouth breathing, especially while asleep. This seems to have a bad impact on development. But I understand that research often has to be focused and addressing the causes and prevention of abnormal oro-nasal-maxillo-mandibular development is a great project. Good luck in getting funding!
Sheffey

Sheffey

Post by Sheffey » Wed May 06, 2015 5:47 am

To the negative nabobs here, I would ask you to go to the mirror and see if you have 32 teeth in your mouth that are straight and not crowded and never required orthodontics.

If there is one person here who fits that description, I will be surprised.
Sheffey

Minky

Post by Minky » Wed May 06, 2015 6:04 am

I do!

Actually, I don't have 32 teeth. I have 33 uncrowded teeth. No dentist has ever suggested orthodontics or removing my wisdom teeth because it would be unnecessary surgery.