Kinky?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: Kinky?

Post by palerider » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:15 pm

Tatooed Lady wrote:First off, I admit, the title caught my eye, and I wondered how long til Froggy popped in, when I realized it wasn't HER post. *snork*
Secondly, this reminds me of a chat PR and I had the other day about refrigerator seals and using a clothes dryer for a few minutes to warm them up so they're more flexible. If it's a basic, unheated hose, you might try it...or the hot water thing...or a hair dryer? If it's a heated hose, you're on your own, I won't advise there, it would come back to haunt me.
ohhh, clothes dryer, that could work too!

we talk about the strangest stuff, don't we?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:50 pm

Maybe I do need to join your huddle.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:46 pm

The unheated standard Respironics hoses seem less stiff to me.

If you have the right type of aerator on your kitchen faucet, you can hook the hose onto the faucet and run hot water through the hose to rinse it, and it gets a little less stiff, at least for a while.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:57 am

I don't know. I might try some of the suggestions. The hose has been washed numerous times in a sink of pretty hot water and then hung out to dry, but it ALWAYS stays kinky. I think it's just sad that even CPAP hoses are being made so cheaply to make the manufacturers more money and screw the consumer who has to deal with the result of such a cheaply made product. Had I known the good hoses would disappear, I would have stocked up on them while I had the chance.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:33 am

Madalot wrote: Had I known the good hoses would disappear, I would have stocked up on them while I had the chance.
I don't get it... as I mentioned, my first hose 5 years ago was a cheap one that was stiff and didn't want to unkink, my last host a few months ago is flexible and has no kinks.

how long a hose do you need?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:57 am

palerider wrote:
Madalot wrote: Had I known the good hoses would disappear, I would have stocked up on them while I had the chance.
I don't get it... as I mentioned, my first hose 5 years ago was a cheap one that was stiff and didn't want to unkink, my last host a few months ago is flexible and has no kinks.

how long a hose do you need?
I must have missed where you said that. My FIRST hose (and a couple others, but my husband is using those now) were GREAT. Every new hose I have now is Kinky and will NOT stop kinking no matter how many times we wash it, hang it to dry, etc.

I even tried ordering a Respironics (which is what my first one is) and it LOOKED exactly the same, but it's as much a piece a crap as all the others I have.

I use the standard, 6' hose. When I sleep facing the equipment, I have no problems and could get by with a 3'. But when I turn over facing away from it, that's when I need a longer hose that doesn't kink. Right now, I get turned over and situated and want the hose to just lay on my body. The one hose works fine and it's no issue. The Kinky ones will pull, flip up and hit me in the head, etc. It's annoying as hell.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:06 pm

Since my hose hangs off the fishing pole, I have a lot of slack between the highest point and the machine.
The pole is springy, the scrunchies are bungee-ish, and the plant hanger swivels a good 90 degrees
from above my pillow to the side of the bed. I can move quite a bit with this setup, because the tightest hose kink
is nearest the machine.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:48 pm

If you look at my setup and my hose, you'd think I'm nuts because it *looks* perfect. And when I'm turned toward the machine, it IS fine. But when I turn over and try to use MORE hose, we have a battle trying to get the hose to just LAY down. It constantly wants to spring up over my head, which I HATE. I pull gently to give myself plenty of slack so it SHOULD just lay there (there's plenty of hose). But those damned kinks won't let it just lay down like it should.

I'd steal one of my husband's, but I don't want him to have to deal with this since he works two jobs and needs to get his rest.

Starlette

Post by Starlette » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:52 am

Happy birthday Madalot! And to you also, Bobby
I'm guilty of the same thought Hose_Head (blush?)

Starlette

SGearhart

Post by SGearhart » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:21 am

Concerning the kinky hose,
Try running hot(to the touch) water through it to allow it to soften/relax. Then layout it straight to dry.

BTW: Happy Birthday!

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:13 am

SGearhart wrote:Concerning the kinky hose,
Try running hot(to the touch) water through it to allow it to soften/relax. Then layout it straight to dry.

BTW: Happy Birthday!
Considering that I soak the hose in pretty hot water monthly, then run hot water through it to get the shampoo out (I wash with baby shampoo), then hang the hose to dry and it's just as kinky as when I started, I'm not sure it will help.

And thank you. My birthday was pretty good.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:48 am

here's a followup on this thread, though I've already PM'd madalot with results.

I finally figured out where I'd gotten my 10 non-kinky hose... directhomemedical.com, I called 'em up and the SAID their current hose was the same... so I ordered a couple more (10$ each, reasonable). unfortunately, they aren't the same, much more stiff (think randy teenager) and kinky (think chunkyfrog).

I remembered Tatooed Lady's suggestion and figured "what the heck" and after I'd gotten mobile again after my recent surgery, I tossed one in the dryer for a couple minutes. I think that I left it in almost too long, because it had started to shrink when I pulled it out the last time, so I was stretching on the hose, while it was nearly burning my hands... but!

it went from randy teenager to Bob Dole and has stayed soft and flexible since. (think well cooked spagetti).

next time i do it, I'm going to sneak up on the sweet spot, put it in for a minute, pull out and check... then 30 seconds... and check, then 15... and check. repeat until the kinks are gone.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:57 am

We just did our monthly cleaning on Sunday and I have Mr. Kinky hooked up again. Mr. Kinky is a major problem for me, especially when I'm turned AWAY from the machine. He kinks and pulls back ALL NIGHT LONG.

I am definitely going to try PR's suggestion about the dryer. I think he is on to something (good) -

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:17 pm

Madalot wrote:We just did our monthly cleaning on Sunday and I have Mr. Kinky hooked up again. Mr. Kinky is a major problem for me, especially when I'm turned AWAY from the machine. He kinks and pulls back ALL NIGHT LONG.

I am definitely going to try PR's suggestion about the dryer. I think he is on to something (good) -
in all fairness, after digging up this thread and scanning it, it was TL's suggestion... I just (finally) got around to testing it... in all fairness though, I didn't have a kinky hose to try it on until last week.

StuUnderPressure

Post by StuUnderPressure » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:51 pm

Madalot wrote:We just did our monthly cleaning on Sunday and I have Mr. Kinky hooked up again. Mr. Kinky is a major problem for me, especially when I'm turned AWAY from the machine. He kinks and pulls back ALL NIGHT LONG.

Heating it in the dryer first probably works better.

But, I can sufficiently get rid of my "kinks" by merely "stretching" the hose by hand.
If there are more than 1 kink, I get my wife involved. Each of us pull from opposite ends.

Be careful. I suppose you could ruin a hose by overstretching it.

SD Card Formatter 5.0.2 https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... index.html