Mold in water chamber...what the heck?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
danneves7

Mold in water chamber...what the heck?

Post by danneves7 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:39 am

I found mold in my water chamber tonight for my Philips Respironics machine and I clean my mask once a week I clean my tubing once a month but I guess I forgot to clean the chamber for god knows how long and I've been having a breathing issues lately and I've been coughing hacking up yellow stuff I think it may have been caused by the mold in my chamber, needless to say I'll be cleaning the chamber weekly now and inspecting it for mold on a regular basis because that was horrible. Does anybody know the exact cleaning protocols for our machines in terms of how regularly we should clean them and what with and how to do it cetera et cetera???

RogerSC

Re: Mold in water chamber...what the heck?

Post by RogerSC » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:50 am

Generally speaking, I would take a look at your owner's manual and see what it says about maintenance, and use that as a starting point. For my cpap, ResMed suggests washing out the water tank every day with warm water and a "mild" detergent. I tend to wash it every week (on the weekend), or when I see anything in the tank when I empty it out daily. I like the tank to dry out around here, since I live in mold/mildew central, so I pour the water out in the morning, and it's dry for a good part of the day until I add distilled water when I get ready to go to bed at night.

I think that you need to use your own judgement on this to some degree, but washing your water tank out once a week doesn't take much time and is a good thing in my opinion. It also makes a difference where you live...I live right by the ocean, so the moisture here provides a nice home for mold and mildew. If I lived in the desert, I'd probably feel differently *smile*.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:22 am

Are you using distilled water or ??

danneves7

Post by danneves7 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:08 am

RogerSC wrote:Generally speaking, I would take a look at your owner's manual and see what it says about maintenance, and use that as a starting point. For my cpap, ResMed suggests washing out the water tank every day with warm water and a "mild" detergent. I tend to wash it every week (on the weekend), or when I see anything in the tank when I empty it out daily. I like the tank to dry out around here, since I live in mold/mildew central, so I pour the water out in the morning, and it's dry for a good part of the day until I add distilled water when I get ready to go to bed at night.

I think that you need to use your own judgement on this to some degree, but washing your water tank out once a week doesn't take much time and is a good thing in my opinion. It also makes a difference where you live...I live right by the ocean, so the moisture here provides a nice home for mold and mildew. If I lived in the desert, I'd probably feel differently *smile*.
Roger that. No pun intended

danneves7

Post by danneves7 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:08 am

Julie wrote:Are you using distilled water or ??
Distilled but I never empty the chamber, should I empty and dry daily??

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:12 am

Maybe not daily, but weekly, with a little vinegar and/or mild detergent.

msla

Post by msla » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:00 am

This link has a nice discussion on biofilms. When you clean the chamber, this is the slickness you feel scrubbing the metal tub.

https://www.biofilm.montana.edu/biofilm ... ion-1.html

ResMed S9 Auto set/Heated humidifier/AirFit N30i
diagnosed and began CPAP treatment 2003.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:09 am

Mold can be hard to eliminate completely because the spores can get into microscopic cracks and crevices where cleaning solutions can't be effective... I suggest buying a new tank. They aren't that expensive. Once you get a new tank clean it with Control III once a week at least. Use Control III in diluted form as the back of the bottle recommends. When dilluted you only need enough to wet the surfaces for an hour or so, you don't need to fill the tank up all the way, an ounce or two will do fine:

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/Contro ... eaner.html

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Too tall

Post by Too tall » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:47 am

Just soak the whole thing in water with enough clorox to kill the mole and you'll be in good shape. I know there are those who will disagree with the use of chlorine but I'd rather breath clean air than mole or whatever. I don't use vinegar, hate it. I don't use the humidifier either. Try without it. Your maintenance will go nearly to 0.
System One RemStar Pro with C-Flex+ (460P)

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:16 am

Sir NoddinOff wrote:Mold can be hard to eliminate completely because the spores can get into microscopic cracks and crevices where cleaning solutions can't be effective... I suggest buying a new tank. They aren't that expensive. Once you get a new tank clean it with Control III once a week at least. Use Control III in diluted form as the back of the bottle recommends. When dilluted you only need enough to wet the surfaces for an hour or so, you don't need to fill the tank up all the way, an ounce or two will do fine:

Hey, I've bought new wood with termites, why not a new water tank that comes with a little mold in those microscopic cracks and crevices? I use a small, soft brush when I wash my tank in hopes that I get the stuff that's reproduced enough to be a problem *smile*. Gets into those non-microscopic corners and surface intersections. From what I can see, nothing is left...of course, I don't get out a microscope...at a certain level I just don't want to know.

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:22 pm

I like to have a goldfish in my humidifier, it keeps the mosquito breeding to a minimum. I clean mine using a quick spritz of a 200ppm Clorox solution followed by repeated hot water rinsing .(3/4 teaspoon per quart water) That seems to make it clean and I never have any trace of chlorine odor left.FWIW, any "dishwasher safe" reservoir is likely to be exposed to chlorine as that's what most DW detergents have as an ingredient. YMMV

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:27 pm

danneves7 wrote:I found mold in my water chamber tonight for my Philips Respironics machine and I clean my mask once a week I clean my tubing once a month but I guess I forgot to clean the chamber for god knows how long and I've been having a breathing issues lately and I've been coughing hacking up yellow stuff I think it may have been caused by the mold in my chamber, needless to say I'll be cleaning the chamber weekly now and inspecting it for mold on a regular basis because that was horrible. Does anybody know the exact cleaning protocols for our machines in terms of how regularly we should clean them and what with and how to do it cetera et cetera???
Yep. I (and most of us) know what the manufacturers recommend......but I don't follow the recommendations that strictly. I dump and rinse my HH tank about every three months when I start a new gallon of distilled (I don't use heated humidity). I've only taken my original HH tank apart ONCE to actually "clean" it and that was in early 2012. Some of the other spare tanks I received with some "previously owned" machines I bought were taken apart and cleaned when I got them. But, I DO visually inspect the tank and the water in it just about every night before I crawl in bed......and add water every couple of nights. There's nothing in there that can get sent up the hose to me during the night because the water molecules are too small to carry anything out of the tank.
And, I've used distilled water almost exclusively except a couple of occasions when I forgot to take some along on a road trip, so I used some Brita filtered water until I could get to a store to buy a gallon.

But.......how is it YOU "forgot" for so long? Do you ever clean/replace your intake filters? They do a lot in keeping stuff out of the machine and HH tank.

I seriously doubt that the "mold" you found in your HH tank had anything to do with your "breathing issues" you've had because we have more contact with "germs" when we're not using our machines. However, YOU are the one who hadn't been checking or cleaning YOUR machine.......and now YOU are "preaching" to US (in the other thread you started) about how WE should be cleaning our machines. Really???

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

danneves7

Post by danneves7 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:34 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote:Mold can be hard to eliminate completely because the spores can get into microscopic cracks and crevices where cleaning solutions can't be effective... I suggest buying a new tank. They aren't that expensive. Once you get a new tank clean it with Control III once a week at least. Use Control III in diluted form as the back of the bottle recommends. When dilluted you only need enough to wet the surfaces for an hour or so, you don't need to fill the tank up all the way, an ounce or two will do fine:

Thank u

danneves7

Post by danneves7 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:36 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
danneves7 wrote:I found mold in my water chamber tonight for my Philips Respironics machine and I clean my mask once a week I clean my tubing once a month but I guess I forgot to clean the chamber for god knows how long and I've been having a breathing issues lately and I've been coughing hacking up yellow stuff I think it may have been caused by the mold in my chamber, needless to say I'll be cleaning the chamber weekly now and inspecting it for mold on a regular basis because that was horrible. Does anybody know the exact cleaning protocols for our machines in terms of how regularly we should clean them and what with and how to do it cetera et cetera???
Yep. I (and most of us) know what the manufacturers recommend......but I don't follow the recommendations that strictly. I dump and rinse my HH tank about every three months when I start a new gallon of distilled (I don't use heated humidity). I've only taken my original HH tank apart ONCE to actually "clean" it and that was in early 2012. Some of the other spare tanks I received with some "previously owned" machines I bought were taken apart and cleaned when I got them. But, I DO visually inspect the tank and the water in it just about every night before I crawl in bed......and add water every couple of nights. There's nothing in there that can get sent up the hose to me during the night because the water molecules are too small to carry anything out of the tank.
And, I've used distilled water almost exclusively except a couple of occasions when I forgot to take some along on a road trip, so I used some Brita filtered water until I could get to a store to buy a gallon.

But.......how is it YOU "forgot" for so long? Do you ever clean/replace your intake filters? They do a lot in keeping stuff out of the machine and HH tank.

I seriously doubt that the "mold" you found in your HH tank had anything to do with your "breathing issues" you've had because we have more contact with "germs" when we're not using our machines. However, YOU are the one who hadn't been checking or cleaning YOUR machine.......and now YOU are "preaching" to US (in the other thread you started) about how WE should be cleaning our machines. Really???

Den

Not preaching just sharing info I found lol

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:56 pm

New tanks are pretty cheap from cpap.com or other online sellers. Get one just so you'll have a spare. Most insurance will pay for a new tank every 6 months.

Clean your moldy tank thoroughly right now. Philips Respironics tanks all seem to be dishwashable.

Once you get the spare tank, boil a big pot of water, turn off the heat and drop the the disassembled old tank in and let it sit until the water is cool. It's worked OK for me with Respironics tanks, but wait until you have a spare, just in case they've changed something.

Note that some of the ResMed non-dishwashable tanks will melt.

Even with distilled water, there's still some contamination in the water. As the water evaporates, it concentrates the contaminants. There's also some amount of dust in the air that makes it through the filters, and that gets concentrated as the water evaporates.

Dumping the water every morning and refilling at night is the safest thing. I use distilled water and dump and dishwash once a week. I have two tanks and clean the one I'm using each week, and let it sit dry for the next week while I use the other tank.

In my opinion, Control III is overkill for normal usage, but it's good if you get a used tank, or if you have some nasty incident such as yours. I'd still do the boiling water trick since I know heat will get down into all the cracks and crevices.

In theory, germs in the water tank won't get into the air, but keep it clean anyway.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.