Brand new to board... a few questions before I get my CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
OkyDoky

Re: Brand new to board... a few questions before I get my CPAP

Post by OkyDoky » Mon May 04, 2015 8:36 am

You could also try putting a piece of tape across the side pieces on your cheeks so that it would wake you up when you take it off. That way you could replace it immediately.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

hifiaudio

Post by hifiaudio » Wed May 06, 2015 9:46 am

Not sure why I didnt look harder and notice this before, but the left nostril of my SwiftFX has been bothering me.. so I examined it this morning and found that it totally lacks the inner part that the right nostril has. Checked the larger size and they are both there on that one. Guess its just a manufacturing defect... should I call Resmed for a replacement or my Dr.'s office?

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed May 06, 2015 1:33 pm

hifiaudio wrote:Not sure why I didnt look harder and notice this before, but the left nostril of my SwiftFX has been bothering me.. so I examined it this morning and found that it totally lacks the inner part that the right nostril has. Checked the larger size and they are both there on that one. Guess its just a manufacturing defect... should I call Resmed for a replacement or my Dr.'s office?
make sure that the inner cone isn't just inverted, it happens sometimes.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

hifiaudio

Post by hifiaudio » Wed May 06, 2015 2:01 pm

Lol - you were right. I looked all over and in that thing and saw nothing. Squeezed it and out popped the inner lining. Thanks!

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed May 06, 2015 2:12 pm

hifiaudio wrote:Lol - you were right. I looked all over and in that thing and saw nothing. Squeezed it and out popped the inner lining. Thanks!
it's always great when it's a simple answer like that, eh?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

hifiaudio

Post by hifiaudio » Wed May 06, 2015 2:27 pm

Ordered a large mask for my Simplus off Ebay and the seller sent me a medium... ugh! I was really looking forward to trying it and the seller already took WAY too long to ship in the first place. So annoying.

purple

Post by purple » Wed May 06, 2015 3:23 pm

With a pressure of 13, and if you have problems exhaling against pressure, then perhaps, if you fail CPAP, then your doc might prescribe a Bi-Level machine. Usually insurance companies will not pay for a Bi-Level machine until a patient has failed CPAP. So do not get angry with your doc if you have to go through some time with the current setup not working, as it is not his fault, it is the insurance company. I bet with your numbers of O2 Saturation less than 90, he will want to follow you very closely. That is, I would not feel he is just milking you for money. You got a real problem that may take some other adjustments, including another machine, and he can only get all of that working for you, by looking at your data, and seeing you some more.

Some docs now have a wireless device added directly to the machine, not just to check for compliance, but to look at your data more frequently than just his next visit with you.

Someone chime in here and tell this fellow about exhalation relief with a PR 560, how to check if it is set.

hifiaudio

Post by hifiaudio » Wed May 06, 2015 3:31 pm

Thanks. Yeah I have my cflex set to max. The good news is ever since we reset it to Apap, my pressure has never gone above 11.5. Usually its 10 or 11.

hifiaudio

Post by hifiaudio » Thu May 07, 2015 7:12 am

Well here is my first ever full night on CPAP with no throwing off the mask or going hours without it on. Obviously a few wakeups but I kept the Simplus on the whole night, so this data should be indicative of how much, or how little, the current machine can do for my issues. My untreated AHI again was 39.

hifiaudio

Post by hifiaudio » Thu May 07, 2015 2:14 pm

What is it that most people who use FFMs put on their lips? Mine get super dry during the night. My mouth isn't dry, just my lips.

hifiaudio

Post by hifiaudio » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:57 pm

Hey just coming back on to give a quick update. After trying out the Quattro FX, Sleepweaver, and Airfit P10, I returned them all and redoubled my efforts on taping my mouth and using the SwiftFX. It has been somewhat effective, but I still do crazy things. I woke up today having removed the Swift but kept the tape on. That is crazy... why would I remove the thing that is giving me air and keep on what is inhibiting it. My subconscious brain is pretty dumb!

I also have woken up many times over the past few weeks and taken off the mask (still using the Simplus if I use a mask) or the swift. Sometimes I have no recollection at all of doing it, and sometimes I remember when I wake up in the morning taking it off and deciding to keep it off, rationalizing I will just "lie back down for a minute to take a break from it". I am furious with myself in the morning but somehow my foggy brain at night is incapable of doing what I know is best for myself, even if I somewhat think about it. So weird!

So now I am taping with blue painters tape. I tried micropore, both "paper tape" and silk based, but both are HORRIBLE to take off. SO much adhesive and pain. But the blue tape doesn't stay on super well. I found an old thread where someone was using pany hose tights cut up and tied around his head to keep the tape on (I guess...i just deduced how it was being used).

So a couple of followup questions:

1. Any advice that can help me tape more effectively?

2. My data still shows a TON of centrals. Most with 30-45 seconds of no breath. My AHI is routinely 5-6. On my last visit my doc was not overly concerned... not concerned enough really in my opinion. I am not very happy with my doc to be honest. How big of a deal is it to swap providers? I wouldnt have to do another study, would I?

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:07 pm

Tape the mask to your face so that pulling it off will awaken you and hopefully you'll get it resettled.

hifiaudio

Post by hifiaudio » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:42 pm

From what seems to be happening I will even pull off tape that hurts a bit and still go back to bed with nothing on my face. I think I rationalize it in my "night brain". This is annoying!

popcpoo

Post by popcpoo » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:39 pm

When I was initially diagnosed last fall, I was told I had severe OSA and central SA. When I retested this spring, I still had some CA, and was given a bipap machine to use. My CA has been five or less every night since being on the machine. Your CAs may not be very bad, and may go away with treatment

poppi2

Brand new to board... a few questions before I get my CPAP

Post by poppi2 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:15 pm

hifiaudio wrote:....I tried micropore, both "paper tape" and silk based, but both are HORRIBLE to take off. SO much adhesive and pain. But the blue tape doesn't stay .....
1. Any advice that can help me tape more effectively?......
Here is my solution.
I agree that the 3M micropore tape is the stickiest of all I've tried. I once used 3M microfoam but it was no match for my oily skin and the slobbering. My nightly routine is to cut a length of 1" microfoam tape to cover my lips. I cover that with a length of 2" micropore tape long enough for skin contact and with the ends folded over for easier removal. The microfoam tape protects my lips, and the micropore tape does its job of preventing leaks. Even though I remove it carefully, I will occasionally lift some skin.
YMMV. Earl