Can cpap push dirt deeper into lungs?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
acidragon

Can cpap push dirt deeper into lungs?

Post by acidragon » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:12 pm

I'm in the construction/welding industry. Almost on a daily basis there is some soot or black dirt in my airway when I blow my nose at the end of the day. Can cpap push the finer dust/dirt deeper into my lungs? There's been so much positive with cpap for me, its almost too good to be true... Has there been any studies done on this? Also netti pot on a daily basis is not good for you. Yes you clean out a lot of dirt but you also wash away all the protective mucus. I stopped having sinus infections when I stopped using the pot. Every now and then ill use it if I had a rough day.

Wulfman...

Re: Can cpap push dirt deeper into lungs?

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:19 pm

acidragon wrote:I'm in the construction/welding industry. Almost on a daily basis there is some soot or black dirt in my airway when I blow my nose at the end of the day. Can cpap push the finer dust/dirt deeper into my lungs? There's been so much positive with cpap for me, its almost too good to be true... Has there been any studies done on this? Also netti pot on a daily basis is not good for you. Yes you clean out a lot of dirt but you also wash away all the protective mucus. I stopped having sinus infections when I stopped using the pot. Every now and then ill use it if I had a rough day.
No. Not any more so than regular breathing.......because that's what CPAP therapy does.......gives you enough air to splint your airway open so you can breathe naturally. It doesn't FORCE air into your lungs......it enables natural breathing and helps to prevent you from stopping breathing (apneas). It would take a ventilator to force air into your lungs.......that's what's called "invasive" therapy. This is "non-invasive" therapy using a "flow generator".

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:46 pm

I would, however use a heated humidifier if at all possible, as the extra moisture helps your body's natural processes
to remove foreign material from your breathing passages.
BTW, if you are a smoker---STOP.

acidragon

Post by acidragon » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:27 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I would, however use a heated humidifier if at all possible, as the extra moisture helps your body's natural processes
to remove foreign material from your breathing passages.
BTW, if you are a smoker---STOP.
Yes I have a heated humidifier. I also found out using one of the higher settings caused a ton of congestion. I'm at setting 1 and its perfect for me. Quit smoking over a decade ago dont think ill ever pick up that habit again.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:30 pm

acidragon wrote: Almost on a daily basis there is some soot or black dirt in my airway
Sounds like your respiratory protection may not be appropriate - http://www.ishn.com/articles/94437-tips ... protection
First read: viewtopic/t172378/Sticky--Newbies-PLEAS ... STING.html

Then get a free account: https://home.sleephq.com/

Post links in this thread for members to see and make recommendations.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:06 pm

acidragon wrote:I'm in the construction/welding industry. Almost on a daily basis there is some soot or black dirt in my airway when I blow my nose at the end of the day. Can cpap push the finer dust/dirt deeper into my lungs?
the cpap will cause *less* crap to get into your lungs than what you cause working in a dirty environment during the day....

reason? you're breathing shallower during sleep, and it's your breathing, (as others have said above) that's what pulls things into your lungs.... if you're working, you're pumping much more air through your lungs than when you're sleeping.

rest easy.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:07 pm

Good catch, Granny!
Often employers will only provide minimal health and safety protection.
Even if you have to provide it yourself, it is well worth it.
Save documentation of the material that comes back up, just in case you need it.
I know that wearing any mask under a welding helmet is unpleasant,
but even a soft particle mask is better than nothing.

acidragon

Post by acidragon » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:49 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
acidragon wrote: Almost on a daily basis there is some soot or black dirt in my airway
Sounds like your respiratory protection may not be appropriate - http://www.ishn.com/articles/94437-tips ... protection
When I couldnt get my sinus infections under control two years ago I started using respirators and fresh air system welding masks. Made a huge difference in just a matter of weeks I was feeling much better but some still gets in, just part of the job I guess. Its true not many people use protection and usually people who use protection are laughed/criticized upon but I just use it. I figure if I do come down with something very bad I wont have any regrets. Although on some very hot days using respirators can be more hazardous to your health. example: you pass out from the heat from using a mask and fall off a building.... dead > dirty airway.

acidragon

Post by acidragon » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:56 pm

At the moment I'm using a Speedglas fresh air system. Looks like this,

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/3MContentRetr ... =ImageFile

http://www.aikencolon.com/assets/images ... p-app2.jpg

Its great in that it grabs air from behind you (just dont fart) and runs it through two filters before being blown into the helmet thus eliminating the respirator. Its a great system you dont breathe any fumes due to the positive pressure in the mask. Only downside.... is the thing weighs a ton and after a full days work your neck is ready to fall off which in the long term can do a lot of damage (a few guys i know already had to get their spines fused after being in the trade most of their lives). Also you get laughed at because you look like you're getting ready to fly into space.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:26 pm

I used to work as a regulator for asbestos removal operations and used a similar power air purifying respirator (PAPR). They are good systems, but metal fume can be sub-micron in size. It is the very small, aerodynamic particle that can reach the deep lung tissue. CPAP cannot make deposits in your airway become airborne again to go deeper, and the moisture can help natural lung secretions move contaminates out of the bronchi to the esophagus.

The PAPR does a good job of reducing smoke and fumes from welding, but it is an incomplete solution by itself. Work spaces need to be ventilated to pull contaminates away from your work station to a control device to reduce potential exposure such that the respirator is not the primary means of protecting you. Where ventilation is not feasible, alternatives to high efficiency particulate air filters may include supplied air and SCBA which are clean air sources, not filtered. This is especially important where you work with chromium, lead, zinc, beryllium, arsenic, barium, cadmium and other alloys or alloys and coatings containing toxic metals and components. Exposure monitoring should be conducted even though you use a respirator.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:30 pm

acidragon wrote: http://www.aikencolon.com
A most unfortunately named website.

acidragon

Post by acidragon » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:28 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
acidragon wrote: http://www.aikencolon.com
A most unfortunately named website.
well at least there wasn't an 'S after Aiken.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:32 am

If you have to 'splains 'em.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:45 am

Naughty ChicagoGranny... you've been getting off some 'blue' zingers lately I think you even used the F-bomb a few days ago!

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:39 am

Sir NoddinOff wrote:I think you even used the F-bomb a few days ago!
Careful.

The search function says I have only used it once in the forum and that was on December 8, 2013. And when I looked it wasn't there. I probably went back and spam-deleted it.

But if you can read my mind, that's another matter.