newbie with Amara View mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
hyperlexis

Re: newbie with Amara View mask

Post by hyperlexis » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:00 am

astrodeb wrote:I think I have the leaks under control now for my mask now. AHI < 2 for the last two nights!

WOW, WOW, WOW!

This is really innovative -- nothing like anything I have seen on the market before, aside, roughly, from the Liberty hybrid. Is the nasal seal a double walled design, where it inflates up and around the nostrils?

Thank you so much for putting the owner's manual up on the web.

Someone at PR is either very happy, or extremely nervous, that this has now been leaked.

Nothing about this mask on the web except one thing on Google showing it won a 'silver award' at a recent medical device trade show.

Good you have learned to tame this mask. Hopefully it will stay a good fit and work well for you. You can then teach others the secret to master it later on, lol...

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:56 am

It is indeed interesting looking and I am always willing to try something when it looks "interesting".

I will be checking with my DME to see if I can get my grubby little paws on a demo model. I will let you all know if I can get one. Since there has not been any formal announcement of its release yet (none that I could find) I suspect still in the demo period and it may be quite a while before it is released to the public in general but hopefully I am wrong. Maybe Respironics finally has a FFM that can kick ResMed's butt.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:09 pm

Well, I called my DME and he doesn't have one but he is going to check and see if he can find a demo for me.
Should I get my hands on it I will let you all know.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Crimson Duck

Post by Crimson Duck » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:36 am

I have one of the Amara View masks as well. I just love it. DME told me it was in testing stage and I was a guinea pig and to provide them feedback that they would forward to Respironics. I would categorize it as a hybrid pillows and ffm. Comfortable and effective. Much better results than my previous masks. I think they have a hit on their hands.

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:17 pm

Crimson Duck wrote:I have one of the Amara View masks as well. I just love it. DME told me it was in testing stage and I was a guinea pig and to provide them feedback that they would forward to Respironics. I would categorize it as a hybrid pillows and ffm. Comfortable and effective. Much better results than my previous masks. I think they have a hit on their hands.

How does it seal under the nose? A slot, or two openings?

Is it a double-walled cushion around the nose? Mouth?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:38 pm

hyperlexis wrote:How does it seal under the nose? A slot, or two openings?
I may be wrong about this but I think it is going to be a slot and the cushion appears to be very similar to what we used as an option called the cradle cushion for the OptiLife mask.
You can get an idea what it is like here
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... dgear.html
A long time ago I thought about trying the cradle cushion option with this mask but I hated the headgear so bad that just never bought the cradle cushion to try it.
I think it was single wall and I may still have an old cradle cushion somewhere in the donated stash and will try look tomorrow.

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:50 pm

Pugsy wrote:
hyperlexis wrote:How does it seal under the nose? A slot, or two openings?
I may be wrong about this but I think it is going to be a slot and the cushion appears to be very similar to what we used as an option called the cradle cushion for the OptiLife mask.
You can get an idea what it is like here
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... dgear.html
A long time ago I thought about trying the cradle cushion option with this mask but I hated the headgear so bad that just never bought the cradle cushion to try it.
I think it was single wall and I may still have an old cradle cushion somewhere in the donated stash and will try look tomorrow.
'Cradle cushion' probably scored better in consumer testing than 'nose hole'.

loveoverbooks

Post by loveoverbooks » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:17 pm

A week or so ago, I asked my DME to ask their Phillips-Respironics rep if they were ever planning to make a medium FitLife. He said no, but they plan to have the Amara View available in two months and said they are currently testing it in Idaho. I'm very curious about this mask as well!

astrodeb

Post by astrodeb » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:39 am

The nasal slot/"nose cushion" is single wall. The nose fit is kind of finicky; it leaks if I move my nose or touch the wall.

james4133

Post by james4133 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:25 pm

I just received the Amara View yesterday, and am still getting used to it, but as mentioned above, my DME mentioned they had it as a demo. I do live in Idaho, so I guess I'm lucky to be in the demo area.

The mask is actually two different pieces, a harder plastic shell that the head strap attaches to, and then a softer plastic "liner" with integrated soft silicone edge with super-thin silicone (?) seal that cups the bottom edge of the nose and surrounds the mouth. My DME indicated that the liner is eligible to be replaced once monthly, and the headgear replaced every three months. No idea what the cost is.

It was very comfortable to wear, though I think I need to try it tighter tonight, as it felt like the thin silicone sealing edge was "blowing loose" around my chin in the early morning. Though it seemed like I was breathing properly, after maybe 20-30 seconds the pressure was overwhelming that seal.

I'll post again in a few days as I get more experience with it...I'm a newbie to it all, so I have no experience with other full face or nasal masks. I thought I was even a mixed nose and mouth breather, but maybe I was only a mouth breather because I have OSA?

bigjack711

Post by bigjack711 » Tue May 05, 2015 4:01 pm

I have had this mask for 2 months now and for me it's simply amazing ! A real game-changer in my treatment of my disease.

I am on my 3rd try with CPAP after failures in 2003 and 2008 with nasal pillows that irritated my nose and wound up on the floor every morning. After the OSA symptoms really ate my lunch over the last 2 years, I finally had nasal surgery in November and have had ENT consults about soft tissue palate surgery (not doing that) and 2 oral sx consults regarding MMA. I even went ahead and set a date for an MMA with Dr KL in October.

With this Amara View mask however, over the last 58 days, my AHI has averaged 5.86 (on last study untreated AHI 37.4, supine AHI 72.2 and I'm a back sleeper, 84% Sa02 Nadir). 93% compliance, and 6:18 hours/night. I've been tweaking my pressure and C-Flex setting, and have my last 8 days AHI down to 3.66 (Sunday night it was 1.85) at 13.5 and C-Flex 2.

I think fixing my nose has really helped as well, my nose used to get so stuffy at night when I lay down to sleep, and it was a struggle exhaling against the pressure. With the new nose, this mask and C-Flex, no more struggle. But this mask is so comfortable, no blisters, no pressure lines in skin from mask, it floats on your face.

So far, this mask has been seriously life changing for me ! I am going to my first A.W.A.K.E. meeting tonight in Houston, wondering if anyone else in town is using this mask yet.

My DME did say it was brand new on the market. Have to give her credit for putting me into it, especially when my original Rx was for a Wide ResMed Mirage FX Nasal Mask.

Good luck to all ! This is a great board, I've been lurking for quite awhile. Many thanks to the old-timers for keeping it going.

-Jack

jmc54

Post by jmc54 » Wed May 13, 2015 10:42 pm

I have also been using the Amara View for over a month now. I am a experienced c-pap user having been on c-pap therapy for 10 years. I personally like the Amara View and it is the first mask I have had that I have had zero large leaks reported. The Quattro FX would give me 2 or 3 nights with small amounts of large leaks reported then I would get a night with 25% large leaks. As others have stated full face masks are hard to fit and maintain fit. Also as anyone who has experience with c-pap will tell you picking a mask is a very individual thing, what works for me does not necessarily work for you.

Reading the previous comments I will make a couple of comments. First I have never had a fitting that was made sitting in the providers office work when I got home and in bed. In fact if I adjust a mask while sitting at home I will have to readjust after lying down. Thus you need to learn to fit your own mask at home. I would try when you wake up with the mask leaking under pressure. Second my mask provider picked a large mask cushion, however I had trouble maintaining the nasal seal so I remeasured on my own found the sizing to be borderline between medium and large so changed to medium (mask came with all 3 sizes) and found the fit to be more comfortable and practical.

Don't be afraid to adjust the mask and try things on your own it will not hurt the mask and will be needed as head gear stretches and when mask is taken apart for complete cleaning.

marshacrt

Post by marshacrt » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:28 pm

Hi...I'm a RPSGT and work in a sleep lab. We just received the Amara View, and I'm testing it now...so far I like it...but will let you know later for sure.

teachcsg

Post by teachcsg » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:51 pm

Our Respironics rep just emailed us that we are getting the Amara View mask. I'll see how it goes and what the feedback is. Excited to hear the good reviews so far. Respironics has not had the best new mask lately i.e. the Amara etc..
Cesar Garza, RRT
Registred Respiratory Therapist
http://www.lastminuteceus.com

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:35 am

Since this design targets patients with bridge of the nose issues, I see this as a very helpful tool to treat patients on near- or continuous therapy (respiratory failure, etc.).