newbie with Amara View mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bigjack711

Re: newbie with Amara View mask

Post by bigjack711 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:45 pm

Deb,

So I've been off the Amara View for a couple of as the leak problems worsened. I switched to a nasal nano and chin strap, and my leaks are basically gone, but this rig is not nearly as comfortable. Thinking of trying Amara View again with some sort of liner...anyone else solved the leaks here ? Burps and leaks waking me up several times a night. So comfortable though...hoping there is a good solution.

Thx...

Jack

flightco

Post by flightco » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:29 pm

I was really excited to get this mask but so far I cannot stop the leaks, my AHI with this mask is 14 (11 in my sleep study) and average 2 with nasal mask. I was really hoping this would work for me because I need to wear a chin strap with the nasal mask and the Amara View is so comfortable.

I am going to keep trying, any thoughts?

flightco

Post by flightco » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:11 pm

Follow up, my post prompted me to try the mask seal setting on my CPAP again and I could not get it to seal. I called the company I purchased it from and they suggested I try the next smaller size and are exchanging it at no charge and if this doesn't work will refund my money

I don't know if I can mention businesses here or not but this business is a STAND OUT company. Their price for the mask was 40.00 less than anyone else and their 30 day money back guarantee, free shipping and great attitude make them someone I will continue to do business with. I want to mention their name but don't want to pour over all the rules so I will is someone says it is OK>

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:17 am

I've tried the amara view now for 3 weeks. Am taking it back. Haven't slept well since I got it. It leaks all over and I have to make it so tight that it's uncomfortable.

mgerick

Post by mgerick » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:30 am

I've only been using a CPAP for 3 months, but am on my 3rd mask. Used a ResMed F10 full face for a month, then a 2 week trial with their Mirage Liberty hybrid, back to the F10, and finally 3 weeks ago I was given a new demo Amara View they had just gotten in. I called today to tell them they weren't getting the Amara View back!! The F10 gave me 3.3 average AHI but had 12L to 20L/min. leaks, mostly up to my eyes, & I was needing a chin strap to keep my lip from slipping under the bottom edge. Mask liners made the leaking worse! Also was getting a horrible sore bump on my nose bridge because I had to tighten it up so much to try to control the leaking. The Mirage Liberty gave me much higher AHI, averaged 9.0, but leakage was only 5L to 7L/min. But the pillows didn't always stay in place and it woke me up frequently with loud toots from the sides. When I first saw the the Amara View, I never expected it to work - but after the first couple nights that had higher AHIs, I'm now averaging 2.7, and the leakage, while not totally eliminated has run 5L to 8L/min. I do wake up sometimes with my mouth totally dry from mouth breathing because of sinus congestion, but have not had to use the chin strap. Some leakage by the sides of my nose I think could be eliminated if Respironics would make a narrower nose slot for those of us who don't have such wide nostrils. Overall, for me the Amara View has combined the best features of the other 2 masks, eliminated the nose bridge pain & soreness, while sealing adequately to keep my AHI low. It is also the most comfortable & stays in place quite well even when I sleep on my sides. I did notice today that Respironics has posted some new videos on their website about fitting & controlling leakage, so I'm going to try their hints to see if they help with the nose leaks.

PoolQ

Post by PoolQ » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:49 pm

I refuse to give up on the Amara View, It does give quite a challenge to get it seated correctly, for me at least. When fitted, it's like it's not even there.
The most important thing I have found out is covering the very tip of your nose, the silicon must just cover the tip.
I tilt the mask and put my nose in first and then rotate the chin into place.
I think I have found that the mask does not need to be pushed into the bottom of my nose, a very slight gap between the underside of my nose and the mask seems to work best
I can use the same float trick that I used with the Simplus mask with this one. Don't over tighten the straps and once air is flowing pull the mask slightly away from my face so the mask inflates, then release
The mask seems to be quite sensitive to the tightness of the upper straps and bottom straps, I don't adjust both at the same time. The bottom ones are tighter.
Adjusting the straps for me is 1/8" at a time

When you get it right, you know it. I am getting much faster
Sleeping MUCH better now

quackll

Post by quackll » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:10 pm

I have been using the Amara View mask since May and I really like it. It does take some adjusting in the beginning and I need to have the straps tighter one side than the other to prevent leaks. I have tried alot of full face mask and none of the others are as convertible as this one nor do they stay on my face without moving around. I cough during the night but being able to feel more air flow with this mask has lessened the coughing

Thefrog

Post by Thefrog » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:17 am

Hello I've been using the Amara View since August. I have good and bad nights with it, just when I think I have it wired I wake up tired and check the software and it's been leaking all night. For me the trick was to sinch it down pretty good, those were the nights I had almost zero leakage. and get the skirt around your nose situated nicely.

I've just switched to the Airfit F10, not sure how much I like it, my GF says I snore with it, I may switch back to the Amara View.

kevin24018

Post by kevin24018 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:04 am

the first few days the Amara worked really well, then I guess it loosed up or something and I am having leaks around my nose and now it's leaving marks on my face. Other than the leaks I really like the mask. Used a ResMed F10 full face for a while but it caused a lot of red marks on my face, before that I tried Mirage Liberty hybrid which I really liked but the nasal pillows just leaked terribly I tried extra homemade straps but couldn't get it to work consistently, so I'm with the Amara atm.