Not Happy Newbie!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LibbyLou

Re: Not Happy Newbie!

Post by LibbyLou » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:36 pm

Relieved_Rita wrote:Thanks for mentioning the form of iron you're taking. I just did some reading, and I'm going to switch. Event hough ferrous sulfate has been effective, I'm going to switch to ferrous gluconate or a chelated iron. My body will be happier.
You're welcome! That's what my neuro prescribed for me to take (even thought it was OTC!), so that's why I ended up with that one.
musculus wrote:Same situation here. Is your lower jaw recessed or have any specific area of airway obstruction determined by your ENT?
Not that I know of as far as my jaw. The ENT I saw (who I wasn't actually very impressed by) didn't say anything was out of the ordinary, just told me I had reflux. The pulmonologist said "You could drive a truck through there" when he looked at my throat. But then my primary doctor just recently said she thought my uvula and palate were slightly low. So....???? I have no clue. I am thinking of seeing a different ENT at some point in the hopefully near future.
ChicagoGranny wrote: What climate do you live in and how are you managing your room temperature?
I live in VA, more to the north. We haven't really had the heat on much lately, but we just have central air/heat through the floor vents.
You are not so far into the process. The "miracle" may still come. It took some time for many of us.
Keeping my fingers crossed for something good to happen before too much longer!
You should always waste time when you don't have any. Time is not the boss of you. Rule 408.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:32 pm

I am new to this forum and don't even have a machine yet, but felt I should comment.

I had anemia last year. It takes WEEKS before you feel better with the iron, even at 325 mg. I think it was 2 months before the fog really lifted. Even though I no longer have anemia, I continue to take iron because it allays most of the Restless Leg Syndrome.

Your next concern is 'why do you have low iron'? That may actually be why you don't feel well. Have you tracked your food to see if you have adequate iron? Unusual periods? Dark stools? In other words, track down the cause of your low iron because just taking tablets is only treating the symptom.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:28 pm

iron deficiency
Don't want you to get overly concerned - this is a good article -> http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20019327

Iron deficiency is a common problem and usually is not a sign of any underlying bad problem.

LibbyLou

Post by LibbyLou » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:39 am

SewTired wrote:I am new to this forum and don't even have a machine yet, but felt I should comment.

I had anemia last year. It takes WEEKS before you feel better with the iron, even at 325 mg. I think it was 2 months before the fog really lifted. Even though I no longer have anemia, I continue to take iron because it allays most of the Restless Leg Syndrome.

Your next concern is 'why do you have low iron'? That may actually be why you don't feel well. Have you tracked your food to see if you have adequate iron? Unusual periods? Dark stools? In other words, track down the cause of your low iron because just taking tablets is only treating the symptom.
Hey, thanks for replying. As for why my iron is low (actually right now it's just my ferritin level that's low, my actual iron level is still okay - for now), good question. I did eat strictly vegan for close to 2 1/2 years, and stopped about when all of these issues started. So up to that point it's very possible my diet could have had something to do with it. And I do have pretty heavy periods for the first few days. Like, I pretty much have to stay home on the second and third days. I mean, I don't HAVE to, but I feel much more comfortable if I do, ya know?? So maybe a combo of those things??
ChicagoGranny wrote:
iron deficiency
Don't want you to get overly concerned - this is a good article -> http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20019327

Iron deficiency is a common problem and usually is not a sign of any underlying bad problem.
Thanks - I do tend to get slightly overly concerned about health issues.....
You should always waste time when you don't have any. Time is not the boss of you. Rule 408.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:16 pm

LibbyLou wrote:I do tend to get slightly overly concerned about health issues
Well that is one thing about this forum. You come here thinking you have sleep apnea and after a few posts members have convinced you that you have sleep apnea and 37 other dread conditions. The old if-I-have-it--you-must-have-it syndrome.

LibbyLou

Post by LibbyLou » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:51 pm

Little update: I got switched to the REMstar Pro 460P. I guess they want you to use Sleepmapper to read the data, but I'm assuming I can go ahead and use Sleepyhead instead?

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:42 pm

Yes, with the 460 you can use Sleepyhead to read your card. If you need help this site can help and then if you have questions come back and ask. https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760