Not Happy Newbie!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: Not Happy Newbie!

Post by Pugsy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:51 am

When you go in Friday to see what "upgraded Respironics" machine they now have...turn it over and look for that model number on the bottom. "Upgraded" could mean a 260 machine that adds CFlex exhale relief...big whoopie.
You will need model 460 or higher to have any useful data...just remember model 460 or higher.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

LibbyLou

Post by LibbyLou » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:56 am

I will check, thank you!!
You should always waste time when you don't have any. Time is not the boss of you. Rule 408.

LibbyLou

Post by LibbyLou » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:12 am

ALSO, he mentioned I may want to try a FFM.....but I will be resisting that for a bit longer, I think.

This sinus thing has prevented me from using the machine for two nights, but before it started I think I had kind of gotten the mouth opening thing under control.

I have read about people experiencing sinus issues after starting with a CPAP - anyone have experience there? I had been turning the humidifier up to 5, but in the mornings there really hasn't been much water missing. So maybe I'm not getting enough moisture? Or this could all be coincidence, and I could just have a cold. Dunno. But I know there was no way I could have used the machine with my nasal mask for the past two nights.
You should always waste time when you don't have any. Time is not the boss of you. Rule 408.

LibbyLou

Post by LibbyLou » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:20 am

Pugsy wrote:When you go in Friday to see what "upgraded Respironics" machine they now have...turn it over and look for that model number on the bottom. "Upgraded" could mean a 260 machine that adds CFlex exhale relief...big whoopie.
You will need model 460 or higher to have any useful data...just remember model 460 or higher.
And he just called me back to change my appt. to Monday (grumble) and said that it was the 460. So that's decent, at least??

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:31 am

LibbyLou wrote:I just want ONE concrete, definite answer to why I feel like crap all the time. And then I want to know exactly how to fix it, and I want that thing to work. Is that too much to ask?
Don't we all want that!!??

I just counted nine doctors I have seen in the last five years.

GP
Sleep Doc
Eye Doc
Dermatologist
ENT/Allergist
Gastroenterologist
Dentist
Sleep Dentist
Podiatrist

The GP I haven't seen in 18 months. Sleep doc and eye doc are only once per year. ENT, hopefully I won't need anymore. Gastro doc is every ten years and he usually snips out a couple of slow-growing polyps. Dentist is twice per year and sleep dentist is probably never again since the MAD doesn't work for me.

Podiatrist is a new one that I will see next week. I may have a stress fracture or a mild case of plantar fasciitis.

I still consider myself lucky healthwise.

Good luck in chasing down all your problems!

LibbyLou

Post by LibbyLou » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:36 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
I still consider myself lucky healthwise.

Good luck in chasing down all your problems!
You know, I try to keep in mind that it always COULD be worse. Even when I'm dragging around feeling like death most days, I try my hardest to keep that in mind! But damn, if it still doesn't suck.

Thanks - I feel like I need all the luck I can get!

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:37 am

I have read about people experiencing sinus issues after starting with a CPAP - anyone have experience there? I had been turning the humidifier up to 5, but in the mornings there really hasn't been much water missing. So maybe I'm not getting enough moisture? Or this could all be coincidence, and I could just have a cold. Dunno. But I know there was no way I could have used the machine with my nasal mask for the past two nights.
If turning the humidifier UP is not helping sinus symptoms, try turning the humidifier DOWN.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

LibbyLou

Post by LibbyLou » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:42 am

Janknitz wrote:
If turning the humidifier UP is not helping sinus symptoms, try turning the humidifier DOWN.
Well, yeah. I started with it at 3, and felt like it was a little dry, so bumped it up. The thing is that if even at 5 the water level isn't really decreasing during the night, isn't that effectively turned down? You know what I mean?

And like I said, I'm not even sure if this sinus issue is related, I just know I haven't had issues like this for quite a while (besides regular colds, and I tend to be a bit stuffy normally, but not THIS mess). Actually, I started Flonase at about the same time I started CPAP, which I thought might actually help any sinus related issues.....but it doesn't seem to be doing much at all yet.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:49 am

Yes, the 460 is very decent and while the 560 has full time apap mode available (that's why we like it a little better) the 460 actually does have some limited apap (auto adjusting pressures) mode capabilities so it's there if it needs to maybe be used. Having apap mode available isn't always a deal breaker except maybe for a few people who have markedly different pressure needs throughout the night and don't want to use higher all night.
Most people can find a suitable cpap pressure and do well with it. A few people actually do better with cpap mode because some people find that the varying pressures of apap mode can be a disturbing factor in terms of sleep quality.

So while it would be nice to have apap mode available all the time if needed or wanted...with the 460 you will have 30 days of apap mode and there is a way to get more days if you want them. A little reset trick that is known if you know some secrets.
Otherwise the 460 offers all the other features that the 560 offers...so it isn't a crap machine and the efficacy data it collects is pretty much the same as the 560 with the exception of flow limitation flags which are only available in apap mode.

You will at least be able to determine if your therapy is optimal or not (looks good on paper) to see if maybe sub optimal therapy is part of your continued problem with not feeling so great.
Lots of things affect how we sleep and feel and not all of them are related to sleep apnea and the machine only fixes the sleep apnea created problems...but we gotta start somewhere in terms of figuring out why we don't feel so good so making sure that the therapy part is at least optimal is a logical starting point.

Nasal issues...it might be related to the humidity settings. Some people need more and some need less and there is no right or wrong...there's just what works for the individual.
I get horrible nasal symptoms if I don't use maximum humidity but other get the same symptoms if they use too much. This is an area that you will need to try to figure out what your nasal mucosa wants to be happy. Trial and error pretty much.

I usually tell people who are having nasal congestion or other nasal symptoms (not associated with normal allergy attacks or upper respiratory infections) to just play with the humidity settings.
If they are using a lower setting...try higher setting.
If they are using a higher setting...try lower setting
If they are using a middle of the road setting...toss a coin.

If your water level isn't decreasing much then that means the ambient humidity in your house is already fairly high and the machine isn't needing to put much added moisture into the cpap air. Reducing the setting will only use less water or maybe no water at all. These machines have sensors in them (even more sensors when using the heated hose option) that know what the ambient humidity is and adjust accordingly...so if not much water is being used it's because the machine doesn't need to add much moisture to the air.

I doubt if your nasal issues are humidity related based on what you said about using the setting of 3...more likely they are related to simply other issues that can happen but if you wish to try a setting of 4 it wouldn't be a bad experiment. You have already tried 3 and 5 and 3 felt a little too dry.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

LibbyLou

Post by LibbyLou » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:55 am

Pugsy wrote: You will at least be able to determine if your therapy is optimal or not (looks good on paper) to see if maybe sub optimal therapy is part of your continued problem with not feeling so great.
Lots of things affect how we sleep and feel and not all of them are related to sleep apnea and the machine only fixes the sleep apnea created problems...but we gotta start somewhere in terms of figuring out why we don't feel so good so making sure that the therapy part is at least optimal is a logical starting point.
Yeah, that's what I really want to see, is if it's the therapy being ineffective or what. Glad they are swapping me out!

Thanks for your help! I guess I will try to use the machine tonight and maybe bump the humidity back down to 4 and see what happens. I have broken the Neti pot out and used it this morning and am going to use it tonight along with a decongestant, so hopefully I will be able to breathe with the mask on all night long!

Relieved_Rita

Post by Relieved_Rita » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:53 am

I had been very frustrated that I was so very tired. I expected using my CPAP machine that I'd feel more energy.
Also, are you taking your iron w/vit C? It helps absorption...
I completely agree. I take a liquid Vitamin C
It'll take longer than a week to raise your levels.
I agree with that also. I take a simple iron supplement, ferrous sulfate (65mg) 2x/day. After about a week, I noticed I had more energy. It had crept up on me. I was so happy ( and still am). When I was re-tested, my levels had risen. I now take 1 tablet per day.

LibbyLou

Post by LibbyLou » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:07 am

Relieved_Rita wrote:I had been very frustrated that I was so very tired. I expected using my CPAP machine that I'd feel more energy.
That's how I went into it, expecting a miracle of sorts. I think I set myself up for disappointment, really.

I am taking ferrous gluconate, 324 mg tablets once a day. I did start taking them with OJ, but I don't feel any better yet that I can tell. Then again, now I also have this sinus thing going on, so that's making me feel even crappier than normal.

Relieved_Rita

Post by Relieved_Rita » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:38 am

Thanks for mentioning the form of iron you're taking. I just did some reading, and I'm going to switch. Event hough ferrous sulfate has been effective, I'm going to switch to ferrous gluconate or a chelated iron. My body will be happier.

musculus

Post by musculus » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:10 pm

Same situation here. Is your lower jaw recessed or have any specific area of airway obstruction determined by your ENT?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:56 pm

LibbyLou wrote:The thing is that if even at 5 the water level isn't really decreasing during the night
What climate do you live in and how are you managing your room temperature?
LibbyLou wrote:That's how I went into it, expecting a miracle of sorts.
You are not so far into the process. The "miracle" may still come. It took some time for many of us.