Cat bites mask/hose and turns off machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
janeysmom

Cat bites mask/hose and turns off machine

Post by janeysmom » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:51 pm

Good afternoon,

I am hoping folks may be able to help me. For a bit of time, one of our 3 cats feels he needs to wake me up at night. He does this by trying to bite my mask and/or hose. He also has learned to turn off my machine by stepping on the on/off button. My hose does have a cover on it, so I'd think the ridges aren't so much attracting him. He may do this as early as 4 am or later until last night. Last night, he woke me up at 1:30 am and I couldn't get back to sleep.

I've tried pushing him away but he keeps coming back. I will lock him out of the room, until last night when he pushed the bedroom door open. Sometimes, it may be due to no food in their bowl, but I try to feed them every night. I feel it is the machine, like he is trying to protect me or something. Has anyone else had this problem? What are some ideas to resolve it?

Thanks!
User since January 2010

BlackSpinner

Re: Cat bites mask/hose and turns off machine

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:01 pm

Tape a plastic "cup" over the button - like a small pureed fruit container - only on one side so you can flip it up to push it but it can't

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:13 pm

You could cut off a portion of a toilet paper or paper towel roll and tape it over the button so that you have to put your finger inside the tube to be able to push the button.

winnie

Post by winnie » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:21 pm

My son-in-law uses cpap. A few months ago their two-year-old chewed a hole in the hose. I'm not sure how they keep him from pressing the buttons.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:37 pm

As far as the hose goes, you could wrap it in something dipped (then dried) in citrus juice which cats hate the smell of.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:39 pm

Just make sure the citrus smell is not too much for you.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:43 pm

How about spraying the hose cover with something like Febreze or some other air or fabric freshener?

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:09 pm

Because that wouldn't deter the cats.

tiredgrl

Post by tiredgrl » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:03 pm

Go to the pet store and buy a product called "Off!" or something like that. I bought such a product and sprayed it on the side of the couch where a new kitten decided he wanted to scratch. It's intended to deter a cat's inappropriate scratching. Spray a little on the button of your machine and your cat will learn to leave it alone.

wildboar

Post by wildboar » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:00 pm

Go to the pet store and get some wienerdogs, those bastards are guaranteed to fix your cat problems.

Logies101

Post by Logies101 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:11 pm

Why go to all these extreme measures when all you have to do is put a lock on the door to keep the cat from pushing it open, seems like the easiest solution to me.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:11 am

wildboar wrote:Go to the pet store and get some wienerdogs, those bastards are guaranteed to fix your cat problems.
I guess ours didn't read that manual. When I was 9 years old, my family and my recently widowed grandmother moved across country and combined households. Her dachshunds, our collie, and our 2 cats. On the second day, one of the dachshunds chased my sister's cats upstairs and under a bed. He came back downstairs with his nose ripped open, never to return upstairs again. My own cat thought it was a fun game to tease the dog and then run up the stairs, knowing he would not pass the 3rd stair. She would also tease him into the kitchen where the other cat was waiting to swipe at him as he entered the room. True bait & switch. I have no idea why he spent years trying to chase my tease of a cat while being terrified of my sister's cat. It was pretty clear they were working together to harass that poor dog.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Hosehead4ever

Post by Hosehead4ever » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:18 am

For once, I'm glad my cat is so dumb.

JayR_1945

Post by JayR_1945 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:05 pm

The solution is simple:

Get rid of the cat.
Jay R.
I am a Systems Engineer/Researcher, and Navy Veteran/ I am not a doctor. All of my suggestions are from my own experience and research. For medical advice, talk to your health care professional. They are good people and could use the work.

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:14 pm

JayR_1945 wrote:The solution is simple:

Get rid of the cat.
How boring would life be without a cat or two in it!
Morbius, are you bored?