POLL: How do you feel using your xPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

How do you feel compared to before you began using xpap? Check ALL that apply.

About as sleepy as before
7%
Wake up with a headache
1%
Wake up with nose or facial sores
3%
Stomach is more gassy than before
7%
Slept less hours than before
6%
Slept more hours than before
8%
Make fewer visits to the bathroom than before
19%
Feel better/more refreshed when I wake up than before
17%
More alert/Able to concentrate better during the day
17%
Noticeably more energy during the day/Don't get as tired
16%

Total votes: 224

Papit

POLL: How do you feel using your xPAP?

Post by Papit » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:52 am

Some members have included in their posts comments that they don't really feel better despite their use of xPAP. Those who do feel significantly better may not have been prone to comment. It would be interesting to see the results of a poll that asks all members how they feel in the morning and during the day now as compared to before treatment with xPAP. All members are invited to participate and view the Poll results. Comments are invited.

Last edited by Papit on Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Machine: AirCurve 10 ASV, Mask: AirFit N30i
PulseOx Data-transfer to OSCAR4-23-12http://tinyurl.com/nzd64gu
Wireless SD Card Data-transfer to OSCAR 8-14-15http://tiny.cc/z1kv8x

chefmate

Re: POLL: How do you feel using your xPAP?

Post by chefmate » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:56 am

I have been using APAP for a week now with no improvement in daytime symptoms as of yet. I have been able to bring down my AHI from 51 to 1 so hoping for better days ahead
Machine: AirSense™ 10 AutoSet CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: Swift™ FX Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
ClimateLineAir™ Heated Tube for AirSense™ 10 and AirCurve™ 10 Machines

Papit

Post by Papit » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:16 am

chefmate wrote:I have been using APAP for a week now with no improvement in daytime symptoms as of yet. I have been able to bring down my AHI from 51 to 1 so hoping for better days ahead
I'm in the same boat with similar big improvement in AHI. Both obstructives and central apnea are almost gone, but still not awakening refreshed. Still our night time breathing is healthier. Let's see how many others, hopefully, are experiencing more refreshing sleep. Give it time, Chefmate. It's very early in your treatment. I think lots of us here, after awhile, have seen themselves awaken with significantly more alertness and ability to concentrate better during the day.

PulseOx Data-transfer to OSCAR4-23-12http://tinyurl.com/nzd64gu
Wireless SD Card Data-transfer to OSCAR 8-14-15http://tiny.cc/z1kv8x

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:25 am

I should add a comment...the reason that I started on cpap wasn't because I was tired or sleepy during the day. The reason was that my wife was telling me that she heard me not breathing for periods of time at night. And my snoring woke her up so that she could hear the apneas *smile*. Well, on cpap, no more snoring or apneas that she notices, so that's all to the good.

But I feel about the same during the day, since I really felt fine before. So it goes, everyone's different.

Hosehead4ever

Post by Hosehead4ever » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:31 am

My main symptoms before diagnosis, and now if I do not use my xpap, is that I wake up with a morning headache and I am so foggy that my passengers were known to scream "red light!!" Those are my two main symptoms besides snoring. Those are all relieved with c/apap.

My ex is also on cpap and is a truck driver with hazmat. He can't live without his and loves it. For me it is like the signal to go to sleep. Put on my mask and I'm out.

Unfortunately, a friend of mine does not feel better after using cpap for a reasonable amount of time.

chefmate

Post by chefmate » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:34 am

RogerSC wrote:I should add a comment...the reason that I started on cpap wasn't because I was tired or sleepy during the day. The reason was that my wife was telling me that she heard me not breathing for periods of time at night. And my snoring woke her up so that she could hear the apneas *smile*. Well, on cpap, no more snoring or apneas that she notices, so that's all to the good.

But I feel about the same during the day, since I really felt fine before. So it goes, everyone's different.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your AHI at the diagnosis? Mine was pretty high and I was in a zombie mode all day before I dragged myself to get the sleep study done.
Machine: AirSense™ 10 AutoSet CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: Swift™ FX Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
ClimateLineAir™ Heated Tube for AirSense™ 10 and AirCurve™ 10 Machines

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:25 pm

I feel AMAZING!
When do I tape my TED talk?

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:28 pm

chefmate wrote:
RogerSC wrote:I should add a comment...the reason that I started on cpap wasn't because I was tired or sleepy during the day. The reason was that my wife was telling me that she heard me not breathing for periods of time at night. And my snoring woke her up so that she could hear the apneas *smile*. Well, on cpap, no more snoring or apneas that she notices, so that's all to the good.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your AHI at the diagnosis? Mine was pretty high and I was in a zombie mode all day before I dragged myself to get the sleep study done.
Sure, I don't mind, I've posted just about everything over the years here *smile*. My AHI sleeping on my side was about 6.3, on my back was about 42. The combined total was about 29, so I must sleep on my back some, even though I only remember sleeping on my sides. By the time I took my sleep study, I had already been trying to sleep only on my sides as much as possible, less snoring so I woke up my wife less.

With cpap, my AHI goes from very low to up to the low 2's. Bounces around quite a bit, the last couple of days were .4 and .8, but often it will be slightly higher than that. 0 AHI's are very rare, usually I have at least a couple of central apneas, just from being on cpap, seems like.

70sSanO

Post by 70sSanO » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:45 pm

I really can't select a specific category because that was in 2001.

But I do remember being tired all the time and since CPAP I haven't been.

Despite living without a clue (no data machine) for years, then the AHI ups and downs and all the tweaking, it has been great.

John
AHI: 2.5
Central: 1.7
Obstructive: 0.3
Hypopnea: 0.5
Pressure: 6.0-8.0cm on back with cervical collar.
Compliance: 15 Years

The Latinist

Post by The Latinist » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:16 pm

Voted for all of the last four.

Greg Riddle

Post by Greg Riddle » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:00 pm

Before I started bileve, was in straight cpap, I was so tired I feel asleep as soon as I got home. I couldn't remember most of my drives to work. Had headaches bp of 130 over 80, grouchy, very little sex drive, crappy outlook, body aches horrible concentration issues, memory problems I'm sure there is more.
Within 2-3 days on bilevel I started feeling better. Now 3 months later, I feel so much better. I've lost weight blood pressure it's down no more headaches not even close to being as tired.

My only issues to deal with are finding a good mask, aerophagia, and forcing myself to go to bed at 9. I have to get up at 4:30 and can't seem to make it to bed before 11.

LadyWolf79

Post by LadyWolf79 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:12 am

Before CPAP I suffered from serious headaches in the morning and limited sleep. For years I simply believed I was suffering from complex insomnia. Last year I had a very disturbing change in my health and developed atrial fibrillation. I had non stop events for over 2 months when the attentiveness of an excellent cardiologist began putting the pieces of a puzzle together. By using a screening test, a nocturnal oximeter study, he became suspicious and had me referred to a pulmonologist who immediately ordered a sleep study. That is how I ended up on CPAP. I can't live without it. Using CPAP has totally changed the way I feel. I am not considered over weight, I have a very small neck, and I have never snored, so as a result, I did not "fit the mold". I am sure glad that my cardiologist explored all possibilities before loading me up with pills.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:55 am

It took a total of at least 3 months to feel ALL the last 4 items.
My sleep doc said it takes sometimes a month for your brain to trust it can really relax and sleep deeply without dying.
It also takes time to heal from the years of low O2 and lack of quality sleep which has damaged your organs.
Being tired and sleepy is only one of the many symptoms of sleep disordered breathing.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Blaifarm

Post by Blaifarm » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:08 am

I use my apap every night for the past three months and still am sleep during the day. When I awake in the morning, if I sit down in my living room chair there is an 80% chance of me going back to sleep (I'm retired). This is even after up to seven hours sleep. My numbers are good, even having a few zero ahi nights. So do I give this more time or should I go back to my doctor for his input?

I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea with 10.5 hypopneas per hour. I was given a s9 autoset set with a range of 4-15. I've since raised the lower number to six based on my observations using the resmed software.

Anyway, what are some suggestions to do at this point?

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:08 am

Try raising the '6' (still extremely low) to 8 or 9 and see what happens.