Why does my blood pressure go up

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jnk...

Re: Why does my blood pressure go up

Post by jnk... » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:31 am

My understanding is that the greatest benefit of PAP therapy on blood pressure is in relation to the dip in blood pressure that occurs at night during sleep with some. OSA can prevent that dip. PAP therapy can restore it.

Overall, PAP therapy is thought to lower untreated high blood pressure during the day by an average of 2 to 3 mm Hg after several weeks of consistent use over time. Significant, yes, but not a sudden major drop in and of itself.

Any observed major changes in blood pressure should be discussed with a doc, regardless of the status of one's PAP therapy.

An interesting study a few years back: http://www.bmj.com/content/341/bmj.c5991
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SGearhart

Post by SGearhart » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:14 pm

jnk... wrote:My understanding is that the greatest benefit of PAP therapy on blood pressure is in relation to the dip in blood pressure that occurs at night during sleep with some. OSA can prevent that dip. PAP therapy can restore it.

Overall, PAP therapy is thought to lower untreated high blood pressure during the day by an average of 2 to 3 mm Hg after several weeks of consistent use over time. Significant, yes, but not a sudden major drop in and of itself.

Any observed major changes in blood pressure should be discussed with a doc, regardless of the status of one's PAP therapy.

An interesting study a few years back: http://www.bmj.com/content/341/bmj.c5991
I was operating under the same assumption up until 2 1/2 weeks ago. I had been running a BP of 135/85 and an AHI of around 2.4. Now I'm running a BP of 165/105 and an AHI .4. I guess I'm experiencing one of those moments in "Go Figure!" I now will be privileged to contribute to my cardiologist's 401K this Friday.

jcmn81980ster

Post by jcmn81980ster » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:31 pm

I wear an ambulatory blood pressure monitor at night that checks it every 15 minutes my blood pressure goes low when i am on my cpap machine