Can too big a nasal pillow make you feel suffocated?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
WildMtnHoney

Can too big a nasal pillow make you feel suffocated?

Post by WildMtnHoney » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:45 am

I think that's what was going on last night. A few times I felt I just wasn't getting any air at all, like I couldn't inhale. A mask readjustment helped, but I'm wondering if the small nasal pillows are too big, and I should try the extra-small tonight? The small just barely fit inside the nares, so I thought a "tight" fit was good, but now I'm questioning that.

Also, a few times I got "chipmunk cheeks" - I'm trying to train my tongue to stay up on the roof of my mouth, though. Any other tricks for that?

Beyond those problems, the first night went surprisingly well. Over 7.5 hours with device. I certainly don't feel "refreshed" yet, but I figure that takes some time.

I did already get sleephead set up (and remembered to write-protect the card) and it shows just 3 obstructive and one clear-airway apneas - which would be excellent, except I took everything off a 4:30am when the suffocation feeling got the best of me, then slept another 2 hours, which is when most of my events normally occur.

Tonight is new night.

SleepDisturbed

Re: Can too big a nasal pillow make you feel suffocated?

Post by SleepDisturbed » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:59 am

Usually just the opposite. Many people find relief by going up in size. The nasal pillows should rest on the openings of your nostrils, with only the last little flared part inside ( just a couple of mm worth).

What is your machine set on? Minimum, maximum, ramp time, and mode? That suffocating feeling can come from those settings as well.

What I lack in verbosity, I make up in brevity.

WildMtnHoney

Post by WildMtnHoney » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:12 am

I think the min is 3, max is 11 for sure. The ramp was set to auto, but I tried that in the afternoon, and that really made me feel suffocated, so I turned ramp off before going to bed last night.

It almost felt like the pillows "moved" so that they totally occluded my nares, instead of sitting nicely in them, they were just blocking them - does that make sense?

I should also mention, I was formally on O2 at night, for a first diagnosis of sleep apnea NOS. So I think because I'm used to having something "in" my nose I may be confused by how the pillows should work. During titration they had me use a nose mask, but it gave me sores, so that's why we went the pillows.

SleepDisturbed

Post by SleepDisturbed » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:23 am

Lowest that machine goes is 4 I think. Turning off ramp is probably a good idea. Try the medium pillows. Can you just try them out by sitting and watching tv or reading for an hour or so with the machine on? Maybe that would give you an idea of fit.

After all that, try sleeping again and post your sleepyhead data, so some of the really smart people here can further guide you.

WildMtnHoney

Post by WildMtnHoney » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:33 am

Ha! and I just got an email that I'm going to be in CPAP mode from now on, so I guess 11 it is tonight, but they said I will still get the "relief" mode?

SleepDisturbed

Post by SleepDisturbed » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:40 am

Well, at least someone on your team is trying to be proactive! And yes, You can use EPR while in CPAP mode. Hope the switch to CPAP mode helps.

Try to sort out your "size" issue and don't be afraid of going big! Or at least medium.

And, after a few days, post some data.

SGearhart

Post by SGearhart » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:42 am

Most people feel suffocated until they increase the pressure to a range of 6 to 8. The chipmunk cheeks can be caused by having your chin pulled down toward your chest while sleeping. Obtaining a good airway posture while you sleep will go a long way in reducing this problem. As far as the pillows, try increasing the size pillow that you use. The worst thing that can happen from using one that is too big, is it won't seal. If that happens just pop in the next smaller size and boogie.

Take Care.

Nyre

Post by Nyre » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:43 am

Hello and welcome to the board. Lots great advice and help is given here. Hope your therapy goes well for you

WildMtnHoney

Post by WildMtnHoney » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:46 am

Excellent! Thanks so much, both!!

I'm shocked that I got a reply on a Saturday, but my GPs office is like that.

I do have an ergonomic pillow, but I did feel I was sleeping "odd" last night, I'll pay more attention to centering my head and keeping in a good position tonight - thanks for that advice.

I will post data once I get a full night's sleep!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:07 am

WildMtnHoney wrote:It almost felt like the pillows "moved" so that they totally occluded my nares, instead of sitting nicely in them, they were just blocking them - does that make sense?
Actually it does make sense to me and if you are experiencing what happened to me you need to move up in size and not down in size.

What happened to me was that the XSmall I was using sort of sealed too good and during the night it would sort of get slightly sucked up into the nostril and that caused the inner cones to collapse and that cut off the air flow and woke me up a lot.
Moving up to the Small size stopped that from happening...so keep that in mind if you decide to try a different size...if you go smaller and it gets worse then try the Medium.

I had this happen and I wasn't even using the ramp or lower pressures.
And if it happens in the middle of the night it is unlikely that ramp or 4 cm pressure is the culprit so if going to 11 cm all the time doesn't fix the issue then you may be experiencing what I experienced with the P10. It just fit too good
WildMtnHoney wrote:they said I will still get the "relief" mode?
That would probably be either ramp still being available (which may or may not be a good thing for you) or maybe they meant they aren't going to change EPR which is the exhale relief function if you are using it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Elle

Post by Elle » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:58 am

I started with the medium pillows and almost gave up on the P10 because I was struggling to breathe. I remembered Pugsy mentioning that larger pillows might help and so I tried the large and it was an amazing difference. Worked great after that.

WildMtnHoney

Post by WildMtnHoney » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:15 pm

I think either I was describing the problem wrong, or something -- because the medium pillows were WAY too big, they sat around my nares

So, I put the extra-small on and took my normal afternoon nap for an hour, and it was ok! No suffocation feeling.

However, I think I'm getting sores I think I'll start a new post for that though.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:20 pm

Okay...doesn't sound like your suffocation issues were the same suffocation issues that I had...that's good.

For the nostril soreness get some Lansinoh lanolin ointment/cream and apply a little at night and a lot during the day to help promote healing.

It's found in the baby aisle of most stores where the nipples and bottles are found. Lansinoh is used by nursing mom's to help prevent nipple cracking and chaffing. Won't hurt you or the mask to use it.
Eventually the nostrils may get toughened up a bit so that you won't need it but until then it will help with nostril issues.
Don't use too much at night because with your body heat you might find things get too slick and you might end up with the nasal pillow in one of your ears...like I did.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

WildMtnHoney

Post by WildMtnHoney » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:36 pm

Ahhh, good oh Lanisoh - I wonder if I still have a tube around from my last nursling?

But I think this is different - these are more like giant cysts/zits that burst then are sores. I put it in another post, but I'm thinking it could be a reaction to the silicone/pressure.

jwerley

Post by jwerley » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:27 pm

Wild:

No one has mentioned how you use your pillows. I hope you know that just the tip of the pillow goes into your nares and not the whole thing.....just sayin.....

Janice

"He who understands you is greater kin to you than your own brother. For even your own kindred may neither understand you nor know your true worth."
Kahlil Gibran