Menopause and SA

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Re: Menopause and SA

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:11 pm

postitnote wrote:I should clarify that I have had SA for years.
It is unclear to me how long you have been using CPAP and I don't want to dig it out of the many posts you have made in two months. How long have you been using CPAP?
postitnote wrote:So I have been up on peri and post menopause and read that SA can get more screwed up before, during, and after. Really? Has anyone experienced this first hand? What do I have to look forward to?
Apparently you are concerned that your sleep apnea could get worse. It could and it is a progressive condition, meaning it tends to get worse with age.

However, if you are using CPAP, your sleep apnea can be controlled even if it does get worse. Just make a commitment to using CPAP and keeping the efficacy data checked regularly to make sure the therapy is effective.

I am sure you know that the forum will help if you run into any challenges.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:03 pm

OK, just a warning that this is going to be WAY TMI for the male members of this forum . . .

I LOVE menopause! Really!

I had hot flashes and sleep disruption, but nothing like the 40+ years of menstruation with PCOS (fertility drugs I had to take for infertility were way worse than the menopause symptoms). Highly irregular, heavy bleeding which was entirely unpredictable, severe cramping (until I had kids) and PMS constantly from the age of 13 to 54--it never let up between periods which might be 6 weeks apart or 10 months. UGH!

All that discomfort is gone--I haven't ruined an item of clothing or a bedsheet in 2 years--whoo hooo!!!! My moods are improved, no more crying jags, no more witchy days. No more water retention, weight gain, fatigue, back pain, headaches, food cravings, etc. I feel GREAT! I wish I had done this years ago (but not until after my late life baby!). I loved pregnancies for the same reasons, but this is way better because there's not an alien living inside me or the promise of childbirth, terrible twos, teenager, and paying for yet another college education.

IMHO, menopause is a GOOD THING!
postitnote wrote:
princessbelle wrote:A crap shoot it is! Just remember when the blame is put on menopause first to explore other causes for the same symptoms. Last time I went to the doc for short term HRT we explored other options which were 2 medications the anti depressant Zoloft and a seizure medication. I told the doc lets try the one that would be better so Zoloft it was. Turns out my body doesn't like it and I didn't want to try an seizure medications just because how they work in the brain. Doc said both medications tend to help with the menopause problems. My Aunt who also had a hysterectomy does have some hot flashes and night sweats but she is able to tolerate them as they are not as frequent as what I was dealing with and she does not of OSA. She will never use HRT and is now a huge reason I will never again use it, she has one more year to go to be declared cancer free after her battle with Breast cancer
Scary stuff! I should clarify that I have had SA for years. What I meant about sleep issues is that I go to bed and sleep through the night unless a grandchild or cat wakes me up. I don't think I'd ever accept someone telling me "it's menopause" about anything. I just want to know what to expect. I hear it will dry me out, lol and make me hot in the bad way. I think of all the women I have been close to only one presented with obvious symptoms. She was in her early 40's too but also had so many health problems as well. It could be 60 degrees in her house but she kept fans on all winter long. The sweat would just drip down her face. She wound up cutting her waist length hair in a short pixie haircut.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:18 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
postitnote wrote:I should clarify that I have had SA for years.
It is unclear to me how long you have been using CPAP and I don't want to dig it out of the many posts you have made in two months. How long have you been using CPAP?
postitnote wrote:So I have been up on peri and post menopause and read that SA can get more screwed up before, during, and after. Really? Has anyone experienced this first hand? What do I have to look forward to?
Apparently you are concerned that your sleep apnea could get worse. It could and it is a progressive condition, meaning it tends to get worse with age.

However, if you are using CPAP, your sleep apnea can be controlled even if it does get worse. Just make a commitment to using CPAP and keeping the efficacy data checked regularly to make sure the therapy is effective.

I am sure you know that the forum will help if you run into any challenges.
I know it's been more than 15 years for sure. The 2 years prior to that are a bit of a blur and honestly I don't recall many details except my son passed away 17 years ago.
I am and have always been very faithful to my cpap machine! I've read so much recently about menopause and was confused about the SA part. Some said more of a risk to get it and other places read it will get worse. Conflicting info.
Morbius, are you bored?

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:21 pm

Janknitz wrote:OK, just a warning that this is going to be WAY TMI for the male members of this forum . . .

I LOVE menopause! Really!

I had hot flashes and sleep disruption, but nothing like the 40+ years of menstruation with PCOS (fertility drugs I had to take for infertility were way worse than the menopause symptoms). Highly irregular, heavy bleeding which was entirely unpredictable, severe cramping (until I had kids) and PMS constantly from the age of 13 to 54--it never let up between periods which might be 6 weeks apart or 10 months. UGH!

All that discomfort is gone--I haven't ruined an item of clothing or a bedsheet in 2 years--whoo hooo!!!! My moods are improved, no more crying jags, no more witchy days. No more water retention, weight gain, fatigue, back pain, headaches, food cravings, etc. I feel GREAT! I wish I had done this years ago (but not until after my late life baby!). I loved pregnancies for the same reasons, but this is way better because there's not an alien living inside me or the promise of childbirth, terrible twos, teenager, and paying for yet another college education.

postitnote wrote:
princessbelle wrote:A crap shoot it is! Just remember when the blame is put on menopause first to explore other causes for the same symptoms. Last time I went to the doc for short term HRT we explored other options which were 2 medications the anti depressant Zoloft and a seizure medication. I told the doc lets try the one that would be better so Zoloft it was. Turns out my body doesn't like it and I didn't want to try an seizure medications just because how they work in the brain. Doc said both medications tend to help with the menopause problems. My Aunt who also had a hysterectomy does have some hot flashes and night sweats but she is able to tolerate them as they are not as frequent as what I was dealing with and she does not of OSA. She will never use HRT and is now a huge reason I will never again use it, she has one more year to go to be declared cancer free after her battle with Breast cancer
Scary stuff! I should clarify that I have had SA for years. What I meant about sleep issues is that I go to bed and sleep through the night unless a grandchild or cat wakes me up. I don't think I'd ever accept someone telling me "it's menopause" about anything. I just want to know what to expect. I hear it will dry me out, lol and make me hot in the bad way. I think of all the women I have been close to only one presented with obvious symptoms. She was in her early 40's too but also had so many health problems as well. It could be 60 degrees in her house but she kept fans on all winter long. The sweat would just drip down her face. She wound up cutting her waist length hair in a short pixie haircut.
That's awesome but you know your positive attitude probably helps too
Morbius, are you bored?

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:16 pm

Janknitz wrote:I LOVE menopause! Really!

* This PSA brought to you by Ladies for the Change, appreciating a better tomorrow.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:03 pm

Palerider, you are a brave guy to read my post!
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:49 pm

Janknitz wrote:Palerider, you are a brave guy to read my post!
And I'm $5 richer because he did post in this thread
Morbius, are you bored?

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:48 pm

postitnote wrote:
Janknitz wrote:Palerider, you are a brave guy to read my post!
And I'm $5 richer because he did post in this thread
you're welcome.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:48 am

postitnote wrote:I'm finally going to start using the smart card tonight since the reader is now working ...
So while you guys can go on about plumbing problems, what version of Encore did you get running (or are you using SH?)?

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:49 am

Morbius wrote:
postitnote wrote:I'm finally going to start using the smart card tonight since the reader is now working ...
So while you guys can go on about plumbing problems, what version of Encore did you get running (or are you using SH?)?
I think it's called Encore, American Horror Story version! It worked the one day only and now is back to not finding a card.
Morbius, are you bored?

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:03 am

Menopause and the hysterectomy was WONDERFUL. No more migraines, no more anaemia, no more mess.

When my mother had hers I had to listen to her rhapsodize about the marvels of sex post menopause/hysterectomy, how it was even better then when they were teens - I wanted to wash my ears out.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:38 am

postitnote wrote:I think it's called Encore, American Horror Story version! It worked the one day only and now is back to not finding a card.
So one would think it's got to be the cards. In right side up? Clean with a rubber eraser? Try to reformat? Smash with meat tenderizing mallet?

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:47 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:Menopause and the hysterectomy was WONDERFUL. No more migraines, no more anaemia, no more mess.

When my mother had hers I had to listen to her rhapsodize about the marvels of sex post menopause/hysterectomy, how it was even better then when they were teens - I wanted to wash my ears out.
If in 5 weeks, which will be 1 year sans Aunt Flo, if I am not officially in menopause I may do a self hysterectomy just to end it all. The visits from Flo that is
So about your mom...she found a young stud? Cool.
Morbius, are you bored?

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:54 pm

Morbius wrote:
postitnote wrote:I think it's called Encore, American Horror Story version! It worked the one day only and now is back to not finding a card.
So one would think it's got to be the cards. In right side up? Clean with a rubber eraser? Try to reformat? Smash with meat tenderizing mallet?
Gold part facing up. Rubber eraser, no but will try. I erased the one card because I wanted clean data after using it once and then being deathly ill for a few days. I had two nights worth of data when I tried to read it again. Meat tenderizer? Cleaver maybe or the railroad tracks might format them! Lots of evil thoughts about how to destroy the cards. I think someone might want to see if they work on their reader or computer though. I could actually try again later and it will work again.
Morbius, are you bored?