ResMed AirSense 10 vs. S9 autoset: Update please

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
KeepSmiling

Re: ResMed AirSense 10 vs. S9 autoset: Update please

Post by KeepSmiling » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:04 pm

Physician wrote:Ready to order a new CPAP machine this week. After six years of doing fine (AHI 0.1) on an S9, still wonder if I should change to an AS10 or change to a brand other than ResMed. Do NOT need wireless reporting.

Is there any machine by any manufacturer which is better than the S9 ? If so,which one and how/why ?
Other then the numbers how do you feel in the morning? You have great numbers. What did your S9 record?

Between the Resmed A9 auto and the older Resperonics Auto, I remember a few years ago a discussion of the different algorithms helped different people.

I think you wanted to buy if from CPAP.COM. To bad there is not a way to test out the new AirsENSE 10. The AirSENSE 10 Auto FOR HER model records the RERAs. The regular AirSENS10 AUTO does NOT record RERAs.

I do not know if you do not get the Climate hose with the machine if you can set up temperature of the hose if you buy a climate hose later.

TRI has the climate hose.

AirSense 10 AutoSet CO, SlimLine tubing 37207
AirSense 10 AutoSet TRI, ClimateLineAir tubing 37208
AirSense 10 AutoSet CO, SlimLine tubing - Canada 37402
AirSense 10 AutoSet TRI, ClimateLineAir tubing - Canada 37403

FOR HER:

AirSense 10 AutoSet FH CO, SlimLine tubing 37209
AirSense 10 AutoSet FH TRI, ClimateLineAir tubing 37210
AirSense 10 AutoSet FH CO, SlimLine tubing - Canada 37404
AirSense 10 AutoSet FH TRI, ClimateLineAir tubing - Canada 37405

Physician

Post by Physician » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:51 pm

Thank you smiling. The most important question is AirSense 10 vs. S 9. I don't need the wireless functions, so is there any reason to get the AS10 instead of the S9 ?

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:17 pm

A10 is probably the right choice on general principles of being newer. However, it's not a really clear, strong, choice.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Physician

Post by Physician » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:50 am

archangle wrote:A10 is probably the right choice on general principles of being newer. However, it's not a really clear, strong, choice.

Is newer better?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:14 am

Spare parts will continue to be made x number of years after cessation of production,
hence the later model will had an extended period of repairability.
This has no bearing on how much each model will NEED repair.
My new machine has newer programming, which can be updated via the built-in modem.
Not even possible on the S9.
The nightstand footprint is a bit smaller--a plus for those with fully utilized cargo pockets.

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:08 pm

Physician wrote:
archangle wrote:A10 is probably the right choice on general principles of being newer. However, it's not a really clear, strong, choice.

Is newer better?
In this case, yes, unless we haven't figured out the problems yet.

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Physician

ResMed AirSense 10 vs. S9 autoset

Post by Physician » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:09 am

archangle wrote:
Physician wrote:

Is newer better?
In this case, yes, unless we haven't figured out the problems yet.
From ResMed tech support have obtained these alleged points in favor of the AS10 for patients NOT needing the network capabilities and not needing humidification.

New Intuitive User Interface Designed to make therapy easy. With no complicated menus or settings to navigate, you can simply press Start and you’re ready to go.

Smaller, compact design 25% smaller and lighter than S9

AutoRamp with Sleep Onset Detection Helps make therapy as comfortable as possible by delivering a low pressure to help you fall asleep with ease. Once you’re asleep, your device comfortably ramps up the pressure automatically to ensure your prescribed level is delivered the moment you need it.

Quieter motor The Easy-Breathe motor has been enhanced to be even quieter than S9 (2dBA difference) for whisper-quiet sleep.

Ambient light sensor Adjusts the device screen based on the amount of light in the room. If you need to get up during the night, the screen’s back light won’t disrupt your bed partner plus it turns off automatically so you can fall back to sleep without disturbance.

Are these factors compelling enough to change from an S9 to an AS10 ?

My S9 isn't heavy, the light is not too bright, it is not noisy, sleeping fine, and the menu is not complex. I have a graphic, but how does one post a picture here?

archangle

Re: ResMed AirSense 10 vs. S9 autoset

Post by archangle » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:46 pm

Physician wrote:Are these factors compelling enough to change from an S9 to an AS10 ?
Given a choice, get the A10. If you're somehow "stuck" with getting an S9, you're not losing too much.

If I had an S9 and wasn't planning to replace it anyway, I wouldn't buy an A10 just to get a "better" machine, unless it was a real bargain.

If you are replacing an S9, and have heated hoses, water tanks, humidifier, power supplies, and other spare parts, you might consider getting another S9 so you'll have spare parts. Not a real clear choice even then.

Useful Links.

Physician

Post by Physician » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:15 am

archangle wrote:
Physician wrote:Are these factors compelling enough to change from an S9 to an AS10 ?
Given a choice, get the A10. If you're somehow "stuck" with getting an S9, you're not losing too much.

If I had an S9 and wasn't planning to replace it anyway, I wouldn't buy an A10 just to get a "better" machine, unless it was a real bargain.

If you are replacing an S9, and have heated hoses, water tanks, humidifier, power supplies, and other spare parts, you might consider getting another S9 so you'll have spare parts. Not a real clear choice even then.

Good point. I do have more S9 supplies. AS10 is not clearly better. How may I post a graphic here?

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:14 am

Physician wrote:How may I post a graphic here?
Jay Aitchsee wrote:Here is a link that talks about posting a SleepyHead image using imagur https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur It seems a little involved, but it's fairly easy. The method is basically the same, no matter the photo sharing site or sleep software. Create a .jpg or .png image, upload it to a photo sharing site such as imgur or photobucket, copy and paste an IMG link from the site to your CPAPTALK post composition window and then Preview the post to make sure it worked.

Physician

Post by Physician » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:12 pm

Last edited by Physician on Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:35 pm

So, that (image posting) worked. You can also use this format [img]http://image-url[/img.] to prevent opening an "album" at the photo share site. (without the dot behind /img)

So, from the chart, it looks as if the one to get is the Airsense 10 Autoset for Her, which provides the AirSense 10 Cheyne-Stokes detection not offered by the S9 as well as the RERA detection of the For Her model.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:03 pm

Several people have reported that newer versions of the A10 AutoSet also have the RERA detection, not just the AutoSet for her model. Not sure whether the over the air software updates add this function.

Useful Links.

Physician

Post by Physician » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:55 am

archangle wrote:Several people have reported that newer versions of the A10 AutoSet also have the RERA detection, not just the AutoSet for her model. Not sure whether the over the air software updates add this function.

How important are CS and RERA detections ?

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:51 am

Physician wrote:How important are CS and RERA detections ?
Possible answers?

Since Cheyne-Stokes respiration could indicate heart failure, It would seem desirable to be warned of such a condition. However, I would guess the odds of such a condition first being suspected due to a CPAP report are small?

Some folks on this board (and elsewhere) seem to think they suffer from sleep disturbing RERAs. If so, then a method of monitoring would seem desirable to determine the efficacy of treatment?

And it does seem, as implied by Arch's statement above and elsewhere - though I have no proof, that ResMed is able, and does, update the firmware of the Airsense models through the cellular modem connection. This to me, seems like it could be a valuable feature if improvements to the algorithms were to be made.

Overall, I think it's advantage Airsense.